Nvidia's 3000 Series RTX GPU [3090s with different memory capacity]

On paper it seems like it'd be quite a bit slower than the RTX 3060. The on paper MSRP of $250 also means this might be the first Ampere release with worse (at least on paper) perf/$ than Turing, albeit against the the models with no RT/Tensor cores and features.

I made and error and misremembered the 1660ti at $250 as opposed to $280 launch.

However we'll have to see the performance data but at this point I'm even skeptical if it will be actually faster much less "perform much better." Also the 1660 Super was $230.

Little RTX 3050 is sad RTX, because no one seems to care.

View attachment 6171

It does have the dubious honour of being the slowest ever RTX card given that it's less performant than the RTX 2060.

Then again it's a tiny bit faster than my current 1070 and with DLSS and RTX support I'd be half tempted to get one if it could be found at MSRP to tide me over until the next gen arrives with hopefully realistic prices again at the higher end.

It does have the dubious honour of being the slowest ever RTX card given that it's less performant than the RTX 2060.
Is it though? I'd expect it to be pretty close to 2060 in practice.
But what this shows more than anything else is how shitty the low end GPU market has become over the last ~5 years.
We're still looking at 2060 price and performance in 2022, after a couple of die shrinks.
Hopefully this will change with Lovelace as anything below 3070 really should cost less than it does now.

I dunno, this just seems like a way to squeeze a tiny bit more money out of OEMs who want an RTX card in their overpriced "gaming rig", you know, those "gaming rig" offerings that keep getting purchased purely for their graphics card and basically nothing else, so the card can be scalped at 2x its MSRP?

What is the rumor on the underlying die source for 3050? Is it just a failed and then reclaimed 3060 with half the memory channels populated? Actually, after having typed that, I wonder what the failure rate on the memory interfaces are for these chips? 3060 already has both 256-bit and 192-bit offerings; suppose that's just pure a segmentation decision or is it perhaps indicative of some lower level failure mode of the dies?

Yes it should be pretty close but I expect a little slower overall (although with the potential to be a bit faster in games that particularly favour Ampere's architectural advances). I'm basing the comparison on TPU rating the 2060 at 202% of the 1650, while Nvidia's 3050 charts in the above video seem to be a bit less than 2x the 1650. Should still make a pretty competent GPU for current gen games though provided users are content to stick close to console level settings and slightly reduced internal resolutions (which with DLSS could end up looking just as good or better on the final output anyway).

What is the rumor on the underlying die source for 3050? Is it just a failed and then reclaimed 3060 with half the memory channels populated?
Close .... :D
January 10, 2022
The specifications for Nvidia's upcoming GeForce RTX 3050 have been released NVIDIA. It'll get 8GB of VRAM. and will cost 249 USD.
In addition, because the GA106 is already being utilized for the GeForce RTX 3060, Nvidia may be able to recover any garbage dies that don't satisfy the specifications of the GeForce RTX 3060 and use them in the GeForce RTX 3050.
The RTX 3050 delivers up to twice the performance of the GTX 1650, making it an good value for 1080p gaming. Its performance with RT and DLSS enabled is likewise fantastic, exceeding 60 frames per second in numerous titles when DLSS is enabled, allowing you to enjoy ray-tracing without spending a fortune. As the title says, the RTX 3050 will cost $249, which means that it will no longer be required to pay out such a large sum to take use of the RTX line's capabilities.

index.php

Nvidia GeForce RTX 3050 8GB (photos PCB and GPU) (guru3d.com)

MSI Geforce RTX 3080 12 GB GPUs Briefly Listed for Sale in Europe

The latest Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 12 GB graphics cards, sporting an increased GDDR6X memory pool compared to the original RTX 3080 10 GB cards, appeared, somewhat briefly for sale in Europe. But "blink and you miss it" and the cards are now delisted.

German retailer Mindfactory listed two different MSI graphics cards - the MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Z Lite Hash Rate (LHR), and the MSI RTX 3080 Suprim X LHR. The cards had starting prices set at a colossal €1,699 (~$1926). Another retailer, this time based in France, also listed the Gaming Z model from MSI at the same €1,699 price-point.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/geforce-rtx-3080-12gb-briefly-listed-for-sale-in-europe

I'd like it more if it would be a 20GB version of 3080 at $900 or so. A 12GB one at $1200 makes about zero sense from any perspective. ETH can't move the fuck off to POS soon enough really.
I don't think it's necessarily a given that prices will be going back down.

Back