nVidia vs Futuremark

Mark

aka Ratchet
Regular
This might sound stupid (already I'm regretting posting it)...

With the recent "cheat" stuff nVidia has done in 3DMark03 and their obvious efforts to discredit it as a viable benchmark, does Futuremark have any legal basis available to protect their business from such tactics?

Ratchet said:
This might sound stupid (already I'm regretting posting it)...

... does Futuremark have any legal basis available to protect their business from such tactics?
You're hinting at Futuremark going to court with nvidia because they "cheated"? Highly unlikely, even if there was a big chance of winning the case.

Patric Ojala, 3DMark producer, posted in the developer section that the patch released by Futuremark was not an anti-nvidia move. You should really see it as an anti-cheat move. It just happened to be nvidia that was cheating all over the place, but it could've been another company as well (seeing as ati got caught too, albeit on a much smaller scale).

Going into a legal fight with nvidia wouldn't be a smart thing to do, IMHO. It would end up doing more harm than good: it would cost alot for Futuremark, it would be seen as an anti-nvidia move (which is exactly what nvidia claims about the patch, so it would only gain support then), etc.

To be honest, I think a lot of companies wouldn't even dare to release such a patch in the given circumstances (there already was a lot of pressure from nvidia). Luckily Futuremark showed us that not one company can play god over them.

BTW, I'm still waiting for the official nvidia response concerning this matter. All we have so far is the "anonymous employee" :rolleyes:

You guys should check out the dev forums more often. :LOL:

We have no desire to confront a huge >1500 employee market leader of high end PC graphics

I assume he means legal in this statement. I am also sure it was NV who says they were discredited by Futuremark IIRC.

Am I wrong in any of this?

I wasn't really asking if they should take legal action, more if they could - if there was a precident for such a case... you know...

Back