Nvidia Turing Product Reviews and Previews: 2080TI, 2080, 2070, 2060

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by Ike Turner, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Benetanegia

Newcomer

I know that we're in a graphics centric forum, but honestly why is the discussion about benefits of RT reflections so limited to IQ? The biggest advantage that I saw or thought about RT reflections, the moment I saw them in the BF V demos back then were related to gameplay, being able to see people behind you and such...

OCASM, pharma and DavidGraham like this.
  2. DavidGraham

Veteran

Not just behind you, I can spot people on the reflection of floors and puddles even though they are not directly in my line of sight, in the mansion of Rotterdam I can cover a certain door while spotting enemies peaking from the windows to the sides of it on the floor.

#482 DavidGraham, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  3. pharma

Veteran Regular

I do not know the facts, but if Hardware Unboxed signed Nvidia's NDA and did not break a recent agreement then they should have received a card unless there was a review shortage (which does happen). Other than that they might have to get in queue similar to sites like phoronix.com, which tend to post reviews much later than mainstream sites.

4. Benetanegia

Newcomer

BTW I decided to check this conspiracy thing about reviewers not doing 4K for myself and out of the 5 that I have bookmarked and typically use for reviews: Anandtech, TechPowerUp, Guru3D, Tom's Hardware and PcPerspective, only Tom's didn't do 4K. I fail to see the conspiracy, sorry. I'm pretty sure those are among the biggest tech sites, top 10 surely... If Nvidia didn't want us to know 4K performance, they did a really poor job, IMO.

5. milk

Veteran Regular

If this is anything like review guidelines for games, and I believe it is, they might not have an actual contract, but effectively they pretty much have an unwritten one.
    Gaming publications receive review copies for free and way before launch, but under guidelines of when they can post content (the famous review embargo) what content they can show or what should not be spoiled etc. Aledgedly, these guidelines have been getting more and more specific through the ages as well. There is nothing keeping a reviewer from breaking those guidelines and do whatever the fuck he wants, they don't sign a contract (or as far as I know, they didn't do it the last time I saw journalists talk about that) but they get sort of black-listed with that publisher and will have less media access to future news from them, like: less opportunities for interviews, preview events, exclusive videos, and in extreme cases they might not even get review copies for the next few games from that publisher, meaning they would have to wait for the consumer launch of a title to even start playing it to wright a review, if they even wanna bother at that point. Some journalists that have consistently broken these types of guidelines even started being black listed by publishers they didn't even break any guidelines with directly, but they had become so infamous other companies were just being more cautious about those guys.
    So yeah, if the relationship of hardware manufacturers and journalists is any similar, it's not far fetched to think that, even if there isn't a explicit contract legally keeping reviewers from breaking the guidelines, they have strong incentives to follow them. The consequence of going against Nvidia could mean them not getting their review copy as early as his competitors next time.

6. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

It's not that far fetched, but that's not really a useful discussion point for this thread as it'll apply to every hardware review thread. That discussion should be held in its own thread and reviews just discussed as we find them.

pharma and BRiT like this.
  7. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

(I had posted this on this thread but it was teleported elsewhere, so here goes again: )

Looking at the mobile versions on the just announced MSI laptops, it seems the RTX 2060 model uses the same 180W adapter as it was needed for the GTX 1070 Max-Q model.

It'll be interesting to see how the GTX 1070 Max-Q compares to the laptop RTX 2060, but so far it points out to Turing being substantially more power efficient than Pascal, at lower TDPs.

vipa899 likes this.
  8. w0lfram

Newcomer

Are you saying you couldn't see those things before, because they were not clear enough..? Or are you saying RTX adds players into the reflections, instead of offering more fidelity..?

I have always seen such things in my reflection and shadows. I just never cared how detailed they were in a FPS game because you don't have time to actually look at such thing, only react.

9. pharma

Veteran Regular

Palit GeForce RTX 2060 GamingPro OC review
    https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/palit_geforce_rtx_2060_gamingpro_oc_review,1.html

vipa899 likes this.
  10. milk

Veteran Regular

Without RT players are only reflected if they apear directly on screen. With RTX, it's possible to have scenarios where you see reflctions of players that are not directly on screen, affording a possible advantage on those scenarios.

A1xLLcqAgt0qc2RyMz0y likes this.