Nvidia "Turf Effects" and "Water Works"

pharma

Legend
Some new GameWorks demos ...
June 17, 2015

Turf Effects enables the creation of fully dynamic fields of grass, comprised of several hundred thousand individual blades of grass, each of which can be affected by wind, player movement, and other external forces. Grass can be naturally shaded, blades can cast shadows and self-shadow, and each blade respects occlusion and clipping, ensuring a realistic experience.

WaveWorks, meanwhile, enables the creation of realistic oceans and bodies of water, with fully dynamic and highly realistic movement, ripples, and waves. Like Turf Effects, WaveWorks water can be realistically affected by wind, player and object movement, and other external forces, resulting in the most realistic water simulation seen to date.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/ar...scusses-nvidia-gameworks-future-game-features

Last edited:
I've seen the waveworks demo before, but the turf one is new to me. Pretty badass, in a fun "haha I mowed the NVIDIA logo into my front yard without the wife choking me" way :)

Both look really good. Console support is interesting given that they use GCN GPU's. I have a hard time seeing them do this on the Jaguars.

Strangely, the Turf video is dated as of October , and WaveWorks one, from March. Were they only made public now, or were they old videos posted as if new somewhere?

I think they've been around but resurfaced at E3 due to ARK: Survival Evolved's interest in these two features.

Last edited:
I've definitely seem them in the past but likely pharma is spot on that they're just being talked about again due to an actual possible implementation.

My god the water looks completely amazing! Too bad it's all tied to gameworks.

Strangely, the Turf video is dated as of October , and WaveWorks one, from March. Were they only made public now, or were they old videos posted as if new somewhere?

They have been presented at this time, they was many threads here and there about it.

Captain Harlock?

RuDtaVH.jpg

CryZENx demo's NVIDIA's HairWorks tech applied in Super Mario game using the Unreal Engine 4.

CryZENx Super Mario demo displays NVIDIA's Flex tech with fluid dynamics .

Last edited:
Cool!

Anyone knows exactly which numerical model Nvidia uses to simulate the ocean?
Ok, I guess I found related publications in the internet.

It is not based on a physical simulation, it was designed to look 'right': you compose a specific spectrum um basically sines in frequency space (there are several spectra that give nice looking wave patterns) and then you use an inverse FFT algorithm to bring it into real space.

I was wondering about the periodicity of the result, which is inherent in such an approach. But they get rid of it by blending the result far away with another approach, which looks not so good close to the camera, but looks ok in the distance (whereas the pure periodic approach would break when looking in the distance as you would directly see the periodicity).

The rest is all shaders and graphics effect :)

I was surprised to find out that even Resistance 2 on the PS3 used this approach (of course with a very low resolution grid for the iFFT, but on CELL)...I could vaguely remember that it was quite interactive.

That was the advantage of the PS3 setup - the PPE, SPE (which Insomiac often likened to programmable shaders) and RSX could all work together with relatively low to very low latency. This allowed a lot of interactivity and novel programming approaches.

I wonder if the low grid of R2 is related to the compute power or to the very small local storage of the CELL SPUs...I can't imagine how to do a iFFT on those things :D

Actually it's pretty well documented how to do that and that they are quite good at it, Google gives you one or two PDFs on the matter.

Another class of applications that cell performs well on are Fast Fourier Transforms (single precision) [Chow05]. While FFTs can be written to be less dependent on unstructured memory access than, say, ray-casting or ray-tracing, FFTs do have an intrinsic scatter-gather characteristic and the application is sped up over conventional PC processors by more than an order of magnitude.

Back