NVIDIA Stepping Back from Cg?

Dave Baumann

Gamerscore Wh...
Legend
I'm hearing some talk coming out of SIGGRAPH that NVIDIA may be getting ready to step away from Cg and fully support HLSL and The OpenGL Shading Language - anyone hear anything similar?

DaveBaumann said:
I'm hearing some talk coming out of SIGGRAPH that NVIDIA may be getting ready to step away from Cg and fully support HLSL and The OpenGL Shading Language - anyone hear anything similar?

I'm thinking that nVidia doesn't really have a choice, as developers will be / are doing this all on their own. ;)

Joe DeFuria said:
DaveBaumann said:

I'm thinking that nVidia doesn't really have a choice, as developers will be / are doing this all on their own. ;)
Woo-hoo! Looks like sanity will prevail after all, big thanks to all the developers out there! :D

half-life 2 would have been a big one in this regard. with so much attention on it and the support for nvidia and ati being judged, the fact that they used HLSL must be a real kick in the balls for nv.

Kalbaz said:
half-life 2 would have been a big one in this regard. with so much attention on it and the support for nvidia and ati being judged, the fact that they used HLSL must be a real kick in the balls for nv.
Yeah, but does nVidia really have anyone to blame for that other than themselves?

I think it's good to see their hubris rewarded with failure, lord knows they need a bit-o-humbling lately!

DaveBaumann said:
No, it wasn't actually - got any links?

http://discuss.microsoft.com/SCRIPTS/WA-MSD.EXE?A2=ind0308a&L=directxdev&D=1&F=&S=&P=5807
>Of course you're right.
>Ok, no more Cg questions.

And also please note that NVIDIA's line seems to now be that Cg is 'almost
legacy' (my words, not theirs). They were asked at SIGGRAPH which language
to prefer and in open conference stated that HLSL is the preferred language
to use on DirectX and OpenGL's High Level shading language is to be
preferred when using OpenGL.

Assuming that this is the company line, I guess this whole issue will
therefore go away soon and we can return to a more pure technical
discussion.

I agree that tools with Cg integrated will remain as an issue since it will
clearly take some little time before they are all upgraded to use HLSL etc,
but realistically I believe that the language war is pretty much over.

[I'm sure someone from NVIDIA will be quick to correct me if I have wrongly
represented their position.]

Thanks,

Richard "7 of 5" Huddy
European Developer Relations Manager, ATI

/puts tinfoil hat on

Well, an ATI spokesperson WOULD say something like that.

/takes tinfoil hat off

lol I bet ATI will be happy with this result, didn't they co-develop HLSL with M$? :)

It had to happen eventually and since HLSL is not really specific to any vendor, more developers would use it to remain neutral and to guarantee support.

what do they mean by 'legacy language' though? Is Cg that much less comprehesive and capable than HLSL?

Kalbaz said:
what do they mean by 'legacy language' though? Is Cg that much less comprehesive and capable than HLSL?
I think that "legacy language" just refers to the fact that it never caught on and that no one is using it. :)

Damn, this IS good news! :D

digitalwanderer said:
I think that "legacy language" just refers to the fact that it never caught on and that no one is using it. :)

digital wanderers bias meter:

Anything else [X----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|--]nvidia

Kalbaz said:
digitalwanderer said:

digital wanderers bias meter:

Anything else [X----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|--]nvidia
Biased? Moi?

Nah, I just call 'em like I see 'em. :)

Well, I've been hearing there was some pressure from MS as well, however if they concede to MS you can bet they will have arranged some kind of recompense.

DaveBaumann said:
Well, I've been hearing there was some pressure from MS as well, however if they concede to MS you can bet they will have arranged some kind of recompense.
Without question. But what could Microsoft offer nVidia to make them drop Cg?

Ratchet said:
DaveBaumann said:
Without question. But what could Microsoft offer nVidia to make them drop Cg?
WHQL waivers.... :?:

I would rather think nVidia might be relieved to shed the burden and the expense. (Kind of like 3dfx shedding GLIDE, in a way, except in the degree of market penetration.) At the time nVidia started work on Cg, D3d/OpenGL HLSLs were not even apparent on the horizon. Now that they are becoming a reality there isn't much need for nVidia to continue to invest in supporting Cg, IMO.

I for one would welcome nVidia shifting back to working with M$ along with other IHVs to formulate the APIs and the HLSLs as well. Consumers and developers both will benefit, and the irony is, so will nVidia.

Back