Nvidia Sparse Grid Supersampling

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Besian, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Besian

Newcomer

Hi guys,

Just got me a couple of 670's, great cards. only downside I cant seem to figure out how to get supersampling working. tried everything from nvidia control panel to nvidia inspector. Had an ati 6970 before, SSAA worked great on ATI

Excuse my english

2. tEd

tEd Casual Member
    Veteran

SS doesn't work in every game. In many games you need to set a specific compatibility bit in NvInspector to make it work correctly.

Example for Borderland:

[​IMG]

MSAA AA samples amount and SSAA samples amount should be the same.

3. boxleitnerb

Regular

SGSSAA requires MSAA to work as it uses the same samples - on AMD and Nvidia. Look here for an extensive list of compatibility bits for MSAA and SGSSAA (German, but the list is self-explanatory):

http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=490867

Often, even when SGSSAA is working without bits, it may blur due to collision with the game's post processing effect. In that cases, those compatibility bits in the list reduce/remove the blur. It should also be noted that a negative LOD adjustment is highly recommended to get increased texture detail while still maintaining a shimmer-free image:

2xSGSSAA: -0.5
    4xSGSSAA: -1.0
    8xSGSSAA: -1.5

Those values are the maximum, you should not get more negative than that. For some games, those values are already a tad too negative. AMD uses -0.8 for their automatic LOD adjustment when using 4xSGSSAA, for example. You can set them in 0.25 intervals using Nvidia Inspector. This currently only works in DX9 and lower and OpenGL. There has been a petition going on over at Nvidia forums and to my knowledge, they will implement support for DX10/11 as well. When, is still uncertain. I hope soon.

#3 boxleitnerb, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2012
  4. Besian

Newcomer

Thanks a bunch guys, i was testing the wrong games :) strange though some off the games i tested appeared on that german site. tried borderlands works like a charm. this can now be closed.

Happy gaming !