Nvidia Shows Signs in [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The surprising part is why 4080 didn't get bigger cut, it hasn't sold at the old price and with the more attractive 4090 getting same cut it doesn't make it look any better
It's not really a cut, just a re-alignment with a stronger Euro vs. the dollar.

On the 4080 not getting an actual price cut, my guess is they are still waiting to precisely evaluate the competitive threat posed by the 7900xtx. Doesn't make sense to cut before that is known. If the AMD cards are deemed to be priced "appropriately" (considering perf, features, branding) then it reinforces both their pricing structures. However If AMD has made a more aggressive value play this time around (i.e., beyond their usual discount) then NV may have to adapt.

There are a couple of other factors that make a major price cut unlikely: inventory is still high (per their quarterly report) and a 4080 price cut could make things worse, and for the first time in many years NV does not have a process cost advantage and they cannot afford to take a large hit on GM (unlike AMD for whom desktop GPUs are basically noise).

I doubt that any of the 40 series cards which we've seen at unveil will be getting any official "price cuts" until late next year, "4070Ti" including.
I feel that the best we can hope for is the "unofficial" lowering of Nvidia's margin on 4080 which would allow AIBs to sell their products cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back