Nvidia Scoop - No HDTV in 6800

martrox

Old Fart
Veteran
http://www.bit-tech.net/

If you’re counting on HDTV working on your spanky new 6800, you’re out of luck: it has been confirmed this morning by Derek Perez of NVIDIA that the both the core and the existing reference board have no capacity to support an HDTV signal – though it is planned for the future NV43 & NV41 cores. If you are hoping a third party vendor is going to slap a discrete chip on there, you are likely to be disappointed because as far as we know no vendors are straying from the reference design.

Are we talking about component output for the TV? Does ATI do this entirely via the Rage Theater chip or is there something internal to R300 that gives this capability? I remember Anandtech saying the HD output signals really give a much cleaner TV output quality.

It's a bit disappointing, but my favourite TV for the last year has been the Samsung DLP series, and it has a DVI input AFAIK. I think the Grand Wegas have it too. I don't expect TV manufacturers to do this for the lower end HDTV's, though.

On the other hand, I'm also running a cable from my AIW to my TV across rooms, and I'm pretty sure a long DVI cable would not only need big ugly holes to get the plugs though the wall/ground, but would also be expensive :)

This would be a shame, I agree. I'm not planning to buy a VC soon, though. Just blabbering on about some issues other people may also have.

I'm not so sure about the validity of these claims of no HDTV support, because the tech specs on the 6800 say:

DVD and HDTV-ready MPEG-2 decoding up to 1920x1080i resolutions

Would be nice to hear more about this though.

jimmyjames123 said:
I'm not so sure about the validity of these claims of no HDTV support, because the tech specs on the 6800 say:

Yeah, nv's PR isn't really one for telling the truth so why now eh?

Would be nice to hear more about this though.

And you would be able to understand the difference between "MPEG-2 encoding to HDTV Resolutions" and "Supporting HDTV signals"? I guess not.

Generally when someone says "HDTV ready", that implies that a signal can be received. The wording above is a bit deceptive, and I can see that now.

By the way, this is what someone at NVN said about HDTV support:

Strange, I have LCDTV, I recently posted my problem to Nvidia driver team and they replied my response. They said 6800 does support HDTV, they will add HDTV support and custom resolutions in future drivers.

Well, the fact that bittech dropped the name DP in their news bit should make confirming it easy, no?

jimmyjames123 said:
Someone just posted this at NVN about using DVI out on their HDTV with a 5900U:

Um....and just what does that link have to do with the 6800's?

jimmyjames123 said:
Someone else at NVN just looked at the leaked Forceware v61.21 driver, and said that this driver includes custom resolution settings and HDTV support

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29580

Everyone needs to give this whole thread a read....JJ123, none of this refutes the story....... except the hearsay evidence of a notorious nVidiot. Everything else in the thread points to the fact that nVidia seems to be telling the same half truths (or no truths! :rolleyes: ) as usual........

^did you even read the thread? instead of resulting to call somebody a " notorious nVidiot" theres a little bit more info than you claim to notice...

I use my DVI out on my FX 5900. I have it hooked up to a 65" HDTV Monitor via a DVI-D cable and it works just fine. I use powerstrip to set my resolution to 1120x630 progressive. This compensates very well for overscan and looks great as well. I've even got my games set up for widescreen resolutions. So if thats what you guys are talking about, it's been possible for quite some time. You just have to use powerstrip to set the resolutions because Nvidia doesn't show them via the display control panel.

this is no different than the FX series of cards. they require an external component video encoder to get HD component signals out of them. if no card manufacturer decides to add a component encoder, then the HD capability goes to waste. Bit-Tech is creating news out of nothing.

of course, none of this stops anyone from running VGA/DVI or using a component transcoder to get there HTPC on their HDTV.

what is interesting is that they seem to be planning on adding an on-chip component encoder to the NV41 and NV43 cores (the lower end 6x00s). this is like when they moved the s-video encoder on-chip for the GF4MX series, and then brought it to the entire line-up for the FX series.

the Xx00 series HD outpput abilities are exactly the same as the 9x00 series. the 6x00 series HD output abilities are exactly the same as the FX5x00 series. nothing has changed. it's not like they took out the ability to set a res of 1280x720 or anything.

The review clearly didnt ask the right questions to get the right answers. DOH!! No HDTV probably means no integrated HDTV tuner solution or no ATSC output.... Ive spoken to reps at NVidia and the 6800 has many creature features specifically for HTPC applications. It started in on the 5700, got better with the 5900 and is even better with the 6800. From what it sounds like the 6800GT will be my target purchase. Mid priced w/o the pricy high end 3d performance and all the cool HT features we all need.

I am not realy sure what all this means. I can play any kind of HDTV file (MPEG2, WM9, even stray codecs with appropriate software decoder) with my Quadro FX 1100 right now either through VGA or DVI. I also have support for all output HDTV formats you can think off, including professional 1080p 24 fps that very few scalers can do right now (Teranex will do it for heafty 50K).

http://www.nvidia.com/page/pg_20040406661996.html
HDTV-ready

I was surprised what I found in the driver? It added custom resolutions and HDTV support, Nvidia driver team was promised months ago. After all http://www.bit-tech.net/ is not telling the truth!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yes I've read it, and I've been at that site for years...... the person in question has been a source of bad info for years..... And the point of the original Bit-Tech post was that nVidia has lied about the abilities of the NV40 for HDTV... Not that it couldn't do any HDTV. The points that are now coming out is the the NV40's hardware is no different than "any" card from the previous generation.... the info nVidia gave at the introduction of the NV40 was that it would have SOOOOOO.... much more capabilities on HDTV......

There are many that are interested in a card primarily for it's HDTV abilities. Believe me, at the moment, they all fall far short of what most of us want FOR HDTV. If the NV40 is no more capable that a NV3x, a R3xx or RV3xx, then it's not the card that was being pushed at it's intro........

What the hell is the real story here??? I just got a 6800U and was expecting HDTV support :?

Statements to the effect that the 6800U supported HDTV were all over the place prior to this info?

If this is the case then this card is going back!....how can Nvidia possibly claim one thing then deny it at the last moment.......if this turns out to be true then this is REAL BAD.

Bad_Boy said:
^did you even read the thread? instead of resulting to call somebody a " notorious nVidiot" theres a little bit more info than you claim to notice...

I use my DVI out on my FX 5900. I have it hooked up to a 65" HDTV Monitor via a DVI-D cable and it works just fine. I use powerstrip to set my resolution to 1120x630 progressive. This compensates very well for overscan and looks great as well. I've even got my games set up for widescreen resolutions. So if thats what you guys are talking about, it's been possible for quite some time. You just have to use powerstrip to set the resolutions because Nvidia doesn't show them via the display control panel.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It's nice to see that he's gotten it to work with a FX5900. Only problem wrt to this thread is that we're talking about the NV40, which would be the 6x00(Ultra/GT/XT) cards..

Oh, and as for the "HDTV-ready", there are several ways in which to interpret that sentence (just quoting those two words is a bit out of context), and even if it turns out to be "HDTV-ready" it might not necessarily mean that it support HDTV without any extras.
(Quite a lot computers have been sold as internet/broadband ready, just add the modem, the software, the account with the ISP etc, and you can use it)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=409410

this is no different than the FX series of cards. they require an external component video encoder to get HD component signals out of them. if no card manufacturer decides to add a component encoder, then the HD capability goes to waste. Bit-Tech is creating news out of nothing.

of course, none of this stops anyone from running VGA/DVI or using a component transcoder to get there HTPC on their HDTV.

what is interesting is that they seem to be planning on adding an on-chip component encoder to the NV41 and NV43 cores (the lower end 6x00s). this is like when they moved the s-video encoder on-chip for the GF4MX series, and then brought it to the entire line-up for the FX series.

the Xx00 series HD outpput abilities are exactly the same as the 9x00 series. the 6x00 series HD output abilities are exactly the same as the FX5x00 series. nothing has changed. it's not like they took out the ability to set a res of 1280x720 or anything.

The review clearly didnt ask the right questions to get the right answers. DOH!! No HDTV probably means no integrated HDTV tuner solution or no ATSC output.... Ive spoken to reps at NVidia and the 6800 has many creature features specifically for HTPC applications. It started in on the 5700, got better with the 5900 and is even better with the 6800. From what it sounds like the 6800GT will be my target purchase. Mid priced w/o the pricy high end 3d performance and all the cool HT features we all need.

I am not realy sure what all this means. I can play any kind of HDTV file (MPEG2, WM9, even stray codecs with appropriate software decoder) with my Quadro FX 1100 right now either through VGA or DVI. I also have support for all output HDTV formats you can think off, including professional 1080p 24 fps that very few scalers can do right now (Teranex will do it for heafty 50K).

Bit-tech..... :rolleyes:

What is the purported issue, exactly? That NV40 can't accept an HDTV input (which is what I interpret "HDTV-Ready" to mean on a video card) and then encode it using its onboard MPEG2 encoder? Or that the NV40 can't encode an HDTV signal for output to an HDTV monitor?

Here're two blurbs from the 6800's product sheet. Which parts are BitTech disputing?

UNMATCHED VIDEO FUNCTIONALITY

Watching TV, DVDs, and high-definition video on a PC is quickly becoming commonplace amongst PC users. In addition to providing the horsepower and advanced features for an amazing gaming experience, the GeForce 6800 GPUs also deliver unmatched video features and functionality through the industry’s first on-chip video processor. This dedicated unit on the GPU handles the lion’s share of the video processing load, freeing up the CPU for other tasks. The video processor delivers MPEG support for encoding and decoding of both analog and digital video content, as well as highquality video scaling and filtering for impeccable playback quality
at any window size. An integrated TV encoder allows you to connect your PC to a TV for direct to TV playback, and advanced adaptive de-interlacing technology provides smooth playback on progressive displays.

Note the difference between the product description:

"HDTV-ready MPEG-2 decoding"

... and what the article stated:

"both the core and the existing reference board have no capacity to support an HDTV signal"

So the card is capable of decoding MPEG-2 to an HDTV-Ready signal, but not an HDTV signal. I would take this to mean that the signal it sends does not need to go through an HDTV receiver. Instead, it can pump directly to an HD-Ready TV (or HDTV Monitor) and be displayed at full 1920x1080i on the screen. If it were sending an HDTV signal (the kind it doesn't support), it *would* need to pass through a receiver/decoder before going to the TV.

Just from reading:
-it won't 'tune' ATSC or QAM (methods of broadcasting an HDTV/mpeg2 stream over cable or over the air)
-it will accellerate mpeg2 decoding, assuming you have a card that can get the mpeg2 stream 'off the air' and feed it to the driver
-it won't output component output (a means of connecting to most HDTV sets, in addition to DVI and VGA)
-it won't support HDCP (copy protected DVI)

The ATI card is the same, except it outputs component video.

And yes, this website is making a mountain out of a molehill.

There's a lot of terms being bandied about (in this thread too) that show a fundamental lack of terminology and what HDTV actually is.

matrox, there are many steps to supporting HDTV. To claim that that "lied" by asserting the NV40 does more than other NV cards to support HDTV is a crock. Being able to encode and decode 720p and 1080i streams in real time is one of the cornerstones and that has been upgraded in the nV40. NVidia specifically added acceleration for the most important part of dealing with ATSC broadcasts: decoding and encoding them.

The fact that it doesn't have 100% of the HDTV pipeline in the core (component video, HDMI/HDCP) is irrelevent. These have been historically handled by external chips, because there are too many standards to support and it is best to treat the framebuffer as the final stop, and let external chips do the conversion for NTSC/Component/DVI/HDMI/ATSC/1394/etc Almost every piece of HD equipment I have takes component, DVI, and DTCP Firewire inputs, so it would be quite ludicrous to try and shoe-horn all of these into the core.

BTW, where's your indignation of ATI's Hyper-this and Smooth-that HD buzzwords. They seem to add HD onto every marketing buzzword.

Back