Nvidia ranked in 100 Best Companies to work for

Eolirin

Regular
According to Gamespy Nvidia's managed to get onto Fortune's best 100 companies to work for. From some of the stuff that's been passed around these forums and other places I'm kinda surprised. Uttar any comments?

NVIDIA today announced it has been named one of the "100 Best Companies to Work For" by FORTUNE magazine in a study conducted in conjunction with the Great Place to Work Institute of San Francisco. The rankings are based on a study that evaluates work environment and company culture, compensation and benefits, and other measures of job satisfaction. The study, along with the findings appears in the January 12th, 2004 issue of FORTUNE magazine, which is available now on newsstands and at www.fortune.com.

From some of the stuff that's been passed around these forums and other places I'm kinda surprised.
What specific stuff being passed around here that has much to do with the subject topic?

[edit]I didn't know Uttar works/worked for NVIDIA and thus has/had first-hand knowledge.

I think UTTAR has hear some stories to disagree with that but I guess if your in managment its good because you can do insider trading :)

I wouldn't put any stock in any sort of "Top X Company to Work For" awards. I worked at several companies that recieved various "Top X Company to Work For" in Ohio. They were far from it. The one even had rounds of layoffs every 4 months and mandated minimum 50 hour work weeks (both of which which kept up for 20 months). And this was during the DOT COM technology boom era too. Eventually everyone I knew quit there within a year after I left. The company still recieves such awards. It was hell.

The poeple who generate that list probably buy a whole lot of stock put out that list everyone buys the stock because they see how happy the workers are therefore preductive. Then the poeple who made the list sell there stock for a profit its called share market manipultion :)

bloodbob said:
I think UTTAR has hear some stories to disagree with that but I guess if your in managment its good because you can do insider trading :)

Hmmmm, last I recall it was the CEO of ATI (not to mention his wife and others) who are being investigated for millions of dollars of fraud. And whose offshore accounts are being seized again? Oh that's right, another ATI executive. For systemic corporate malfeasance, I think you need to look to Canada, and its regulators, who haven't bothered to move on nailing the criminals running ATI for over a year now. (How the f**k long is an investigation supposed to take?)

Maybe they are in the top 100 companies to work for too lol :) everyone is out to rip off the customers and share holders its soo sad :/

above3d said:
Hmmmm, last I recall it was the CEO of ATI (not to mention his wife and others) who are being investigated for millions of dollars of fraud.

No fraud here.

And whose offshore accounts are being seized again? Oh that's right, another ATI executive.

Ex ATI. They no longer work there.

For systemic corporate malfeasance, I think you need to look to Canada, and its regulators, who haven't bothered to move on nailing the criminals running ATI for over a year now. (How the f**k long is an investigation supposed to take?)

The only one that still works there sold and donated all the proceeds to charity - what a criminal! May have been some tax breaks on that, but it pales into what he would of got had he sold after the drop anyway, assuming this was a premeditated act, so it makes little sense to risk it.

Of course, we'll gloss JHH's internal XBox announcement and the fact that several NVIDIA empoyee's were prosecuted for that. We'll also gloss over the fact that the SEC's investigation into NVIDIA's accounting practices, who they lost a CFO over (sacrifical lamb?), isn't necessarily settled (NVIDIA announces "We've reach a settlement", SEC actually says "We're thinking about it thanks").

Reverend said:
[edit]I didn't know Uttar works/worked for NVIDIA and thus has/had first-hand knowledge.

I second that.
One thing I'd have to insist on though is that ULE mostly focused on the marketing/management part of NVIDIA. The engineering part of the company could be, and most likely is, extremely different. And I suspect that's what they worried about in this list, since NVIDIA is essantially a technology company, even though they got some other pretty darn big departments!

Uttar

I couldn't think of many professionals that wouldn't want to work at large IHVs like NVIDIA, but that's probably just me.

Ailuros said:
I couldn't think of many professionals that wouldn't want to work at large IHVs like NVIDIA, but that's probably just me.

Agreed, and that reminds me of another thing: the pay NVIDIA can afford to give to their employees ;)

Uttar

Uttar said:
Ailuros said:

Agreed, and that reminds me of another thing: the pay NVIDIA can afford to give to their employees ;)

Uttar

But although their takings are high in personnel they are quite small as companies go... less than 200.

Reverend said:
From some of the stuff that's been passed around these forums and other places I'm kinda surprised.
What specific stuff being passed around here that has much to do with the subject topic?

Uttar's ULE and commentary about it primarily. Some other stuff dealing with employees' inability to post on forums and the consequences related to them. And while he doesn't have first hand knowledge, if we're to believe him, he's gotten some rather... interesting... quotes from employees.

As he does point out it does particularly deal with marketing and management, so it is possible that they were indeed only looking at the engineering aspect of things. Personally I think that'd be a fairly slanted way of viewing the company as a whole, but meh.

BRiT said:
I wouldn't put any stock in any sort of "Top X Company to Work For" awards. I worked at several companies that recieved various "Top X Company to Work For" in Ohio. They were far from it. The one even had rounds of layoffs every 4 months and mandated minimum 50 hour work weeks (both of which which kept up for 20 months). And this was during the DOT COM technology boom era too. Eventually everyone I knew quit there within a year after I left. The company still recieves such awards. It was hell.
I work at one of the companies that is in the Top 10 this year and has been in the rankings since 1998. While I must admit I don't enjoy working there a lot (been there 5 years and I am ready for something new related to my college education) I can't help but compliment then on being a good place to work for. They have given me $1500 a year to go to school in addition to a guaranteed number of hours a year, in another few months after I leave school they will be covering my health insurance in full as a part-time employee, they already cover my prescriptions, and there is a host of other benfits too. So while I may be ready to move on I am grateful for all that they have done for me over the past 5 years and definately feel that they are a great place to work for.

I dunno. I always kind of figured that nVidia exemplified the old school philosophy of "the beatings will continue until moral improves" attitude towards employees. :?

This is my favourite quote (from an internal memo)...

Our shader optimization was a legitimate form of tuning as described by recent postings from John Carmack and Tim Sweeney. While Futuremark still does not see it this way, the statement below shows that they should not have called our optimizations cheats and that we are both open to on-going discussions about how to best benchmark modern processors like GeForce FX.

Please feel free to use these statements but refrain from adding your own interpretation or color. We are trying to get on a more healthy track with Futuremark.

Nice and oppressive. :LOL:

MuFu.

Some other stuff dealing with employees' inability to post on forums and the consequences related to them.
I think that's a very small matter and has very little to do with the subject topic. Probably makes employees more focussed on delivering what is asked of them from the higher-ups instead of getting side-tracked (well, it's one way to look at it... I know we all like to see all the ATI personnels in our forums here).

And while he doesn't have first hand knowledge, if we're to believe him, he's gotten some rather... interesting... quotes from employees.
Oh, I'm sure there are many folks who correspond regularly with NVIDIA (or any other IHVs), and not just with IHV PR representatives too. The matter is to know when and if you want to publish private correspondences. I sure as hell ain't gonna publish all 60 email correspondences between me and David Kirk!

Yep Rev it's important to maintain trust and friendship... emails, IM logs and so on... well they are private and that *has* to be respected.

The matter is to know when and if you want to publish private correspondences.

The occasions where one could think of publishing any of it, would be extremely rare. If then the original source should be aware of the intention to publish it and agree with it.

That of course under the presupposition that private = confidential, which should be the case in the majority.

BRiT said:

Yes, it's very much like the Chamber of Commerce-sponsored "Top 100 Places to Live" magazine spreads you see from time to time, I'd imagine. I remember one such ranking in particular because it listed two cities in which I had lived for a few years, one of which I grew to thoroughly dislike and couldn't wait to vacate and the other which I liked so much I decided to stay. The city I liked was ranked far below the one I loathed in terms of desirability in that particular "Best 100 places to live" assessment. The city I disliked so much was described in the spread in such glowing terms that apart from the name of the city I had difficulty recognizing it as the same place.

Back