NVIDIA Physics card (rumour... again!)

Discussion in 'GPGPU Technology & Programming' started by nutball, Sep 21, 2006.

1. nutball

Veteran Subscriber

Saw this over at The Reg, followed the link to Asus and indeed that is what they say...

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/09/21/asus_spills_nvidia_beans/

http://www.asus.com/news_show.aspx?id=4329

I know NVIDIA have hinted at the 3 PCIe slot solution before, but the wording of this makes me wonder whether they're preparing something which is less like a re-used GPU than previously suspected.

2. LeStoffer

Veteran

3. nutball

Veteran Subscriber

Well that's what I thought was the plan, but why refer to it as "upcoming physics card" then? I mean graphics cards aren't really "upcoming". Maybe it's referring to an "upcoming marketing push" to rebrand graphics cards as physics cards.

Weird.

4. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Even though this should be good and all, do I remember completely wrong when I say that ATI's GPU's are a LOT better suited for physics (and other "GPGPU processing") than current GF's are?
    So one should rather take a look on 3 ATI card solution than 3 nVidia card solution?

5. tEd

tEd Casual Member
    Veteran

It may change with next iterations of nvidia gpu's plus the whole physics on gpu's is still in a early state.

6. SugarCoat

Veteran

early? it doesnt exist yet. All we've seen is paper.

7. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

The lack of consumer products isnt an indication that it doesn't exist. That's probably what he meant by "early". It's obviously being worked on somewhere in some lab by somebody - won't just appear out of thin air.

8. SugarCoat

Veteran

I know what he ment but there should be extreme caution when talking about something like this. Its not early as in Nvidia SLI early when it launched and had little compatability. Its early in that we've seen no working demonstrations let alone game compatability. Its like talking about those coming AMD/Intel Octoprocessors :).

Its very possible whats been said so far, such as in the case of ATI where any processor with dynamic branching being a capable phyisics card, may become simply words. Both companies may realize its more profitable/economical to release a third product thats more vanilla in capability. For example removing DVI/Video outputs and chips not needed for a physics card. Also arent going to need 512mb of GDDR3/4.

Even based off the very little of what i said i think its reasonable both companies will release dedicated physics boards because they'll be cheaper and thus able to cater to a wider community of gamers rather then relying on the diversity of your mid/high end cards and hoping they get retired as physics cards or that those users will buy new card releases in pairs or triplets.

Thats of course in addition to plans that their higher end parts can infact become viable physics cards, but i think dedicated physics cards from both companies are real realities.

Buy two X2800XTs, one as a physics
    or one X2800XT and one stripped X2800 Physics for 2/3 of the price of another XT but with all the physics performance.

See my point? Also gives the buyer the choice of if they do infact want both to be high end vid cards so that they may use CrossFire without physics sometime.

#8 SugarCoat, Sep 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2006
  9. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Didn't ATI demo it already with several demos?

10. SugarCoat

Veteran

not a game demo no, they have had their own inhouse stuff, for example heres an X1600 doing Havok FX with CF R580s...

http://www.thetechzone.com/?m=show&id=557&page=2

But when we start seeing a game demonstration or two then its time to call it early ;)

#10 SugarCoat, Sep 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2006
  11. _xxx_

Banned

And then we'll have the questions like "Can I mix the ATI physics card with the nV SLI setup?" or vice versa, head explodes already... :sad:

12. ^M^

^M^
    Newcomer

Yes but the goal is also to reuse a old videocard.
    You buy a 2600 Pro and when you upgrade to 2900XT, you use your old card for physic.

13. Sunrise

Regular

German site golem.de did an interview with Michael Hara, VP of NV. I did a translation of the related excerpt:

So that should definately answer any questions.

NV will therefore find themselves in the position to sell even more cards based on their ASICs, which continues their strategic plans they have been following throughout the years.

_xxx_ likes this.
  14. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Well, I think he pretty much just promised much better (rather than just moderately better) dynamic branching in G80, didn't he?

15. Razor1

Veteran

16. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Shazbat! :shock:

Did Hara just confirm ps/vs is unified in G80?

17. Razor1

Veteran

hmm I don't know the translation is quite bad but it does sound like that. Where are you german speaking people! ;)

18. Sunrise

Regular

It definitely sounds like a confirmation that PS and VS are indeed unified, because otherwise it wouldn´t have made a lot of sense for him to outline their strengths regarding possible physics calculations, which are done in the GPU itself.

Next week they´ll post the full interview.

19. Razor1

Veteran

thx Sunrise:smile:

20. psurge

Regular

So the original quote is this

Translates to
    So I guess you could argue that it might mean that G90 has unified shaders (not necessarily G80). Could a native speaker confirm?

Edit: they also say that they will post the full interview in the "coming weeks", not necessarily next week.

#20 psurge, Sep 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2006