NVIDIA officially offers beta drivers to public

Dang i have to be that precise now for people not to misread it?
Well i meant "Do nvidia offer new WHQL drivers on their website?"

yay for beta drivers.

at least they're out there. remember the developer.nvidia.com page that used to leak all the drivers, and then they shut that hole, and the flow stopped for a while, but in the past year or so beta drivers have been leaked as often as ever? so, might as well put them out there and call them beta.

is nVidia following ATi's lead

Could this have been brought on by ATi's release of two beta drivers (beta 4.9 for Doom 3 and beta 4.11 for SW:KOTOR/Catalyst AI) during this calendar year? For the last couple of years, nVidia drivers were leaked on a daily basis it seemed. OTOH ATi kept it locked down so to speak especially in the r3x0 era (the era I'm familiar w.r.t ATi). Now that ATi has released beta drivers twice in a year via their web site - something I never thought would happen even a year ago - nV seems to follows suit in a similar "unofficially official" way. This seems to be somewhat ironic compared to previous stances from both IHV. However, I welcome it being somewhat of an enthusiast. Maybe this is a new age of "these beta drivers are still unsupported so use at your risk, but enjoy their potential benefits and yes you're welcome"? :)

Unit01 said:

"Unknown, Captain. Long-range scanners indicate the WHQL object is bathed in a type of radiation which indicates its origin somewhere out of a continuum time line, circa..."

"Yes, Spock?"

"...early 21st-century, Captain. My best approximation would be that the WHQL object hails from the year 2003, although at this range, and calculating for distance and distortion, I will regrettably postulate an error differential of six months to either side of that estimate."

"Spock, is the object hostile?"

"Unknown, Captain. Scanners indicate no active weaponry of any type with which this computer's data banks register familiarity. However, I cannot vouch for either the integrity or the accuracy of this computer's information set relative to early 21st-century weaponry, specifically as it pertains to WHQL operational circuitry. Furthermore..."

"Spock?"

"Yes, Captain?"

"I really wish you'd do something about your ears."

"I beg your pardon, Captain?"

"Oh, it's just that all of that green Vulcan mold cascading out of your ears makes looking at you from the side difficult at times. Help yourself to a Q-Tip if you like--plenty of them in my cabin."

"Captain, I--"

"While you're at it, Jim, why don't you have him splash on a pint of your Argelian cologne, too! I don't think the green-blooded jackass has had a bath in a month!"

"Bones! That will be quite enough, this is not the time or the place--Spock, what's wrong!"

Spock collapses to the deck in a lifeless heap.

"Bones, see to him!" McCoy darts with superhuman speed to the crumpled form of Spock and initiates a medical scan.

"Well, the tricorder is pretty reliable and it tells me--I don't really know how to tell you this--He's dead, Jim. I'm sorry."

"But what happened? What on earth---"

"I'm not fully certain of these readings, Jim, but off hand I'd say that now we've really got a reason to doubt the old saying, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones...'"

"'--but words will never hurt me.' Yes, yes--I know the saying well, Bones. Good grief, this is horrible!"

*Tune in next week for the exciting premiere of "The Search for Spock!"*

WaltC said:
Unit01 said:

"Unknown, Captain. Long-range scanners indicate the WHQL object is bathed in a type of radiation which indicates its origin somewhere out of a continuum time line, circa..."

"Yes, Spock?"

"...early 21st-century, Captain. My best approximation would be that the WHQL object hails from the year 2003, although at this range, and calculating for distance and distortion, I will regrettably postulate an error differential of six months to either side of that estimate."

"Spock, is the object hostile?"

"Unknown, Captain. Scanners indicate no active weaponry of any type with which this computer's data banks register familiarity. However, I cannot vouch for either the integrity or the accuracy of this computer's information set relative to early 21st-century weaponry, specifically as it pertains to WHQL operational circuitry. Furthermore..."

"Spock?"

"Yes, Captain?"

"I really wish you'd do something about your ears."

"I beg your pardon, Captain?"

"Oh, it's just that all of that green Vulcan mold cascading out of your ears makes looking at you from the side difficult at times. Help yourself to a Q-Tip if you like--plenty of them in my cabin."

"Captain, I--"

"While you're at it, Jim, why don't you have him splash on a pint of your Argelian cologne, too! I don't think the green-blooded jackass has had a bath in a month!"

"Bones! That will be quite enough, this is not the time or the place--Spock, what's wrong!"

Spock collapses to the deck in a lifeless heap.

"Bones, see to him!" McCoy darts with superhuman speed to the crumpled form of Spock and initiates a medical scan.

"Well, the tricorder is pretty reliable and it tells me--I don't really know how to tell you this--He's dead, Jim. I'm sorry."

"But what happened? What on earth---"

"I'm not fully certain of these readings, Jim, but off hand I'd say that now we've really got a reason to doubt the old saying, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones...'"

"'--but words will never hurt me.' Yes, yes--I know the saying well, Bones. Good grief, this is horrible!"

*Tune in next week for the exciting premiere of "The Search for Spock!"*
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
That was great..

Hey I think its a good idea. Since NV does not techincally make video cards they dont have to deal with the tech support calls which with beta drivers could be more of an issue.

jb said:
Hey I think its a good idea. Since NV does not techincally make video cards they dont have to deal with the tech support calls which with beta drivers could be more of an issue.

NV never had to deal with tech support calls since they do not manufacture graphics boards. No matter if they were releasing beta drivers or not.

nobody said:
NV never had to deal with tech support calls since they do not manufacture graphics boards. No matter if they were releasing beta drivers or not.

Yea I know my bad as I did not word it correctly (as I was trying to do two things at once).

I have seen other comapanies say that having beta drivers out can give their tech support people nightmares. Here NV does not have to deal with that :)

WHQL is just a fancy word. I'm running most of my hardware on beta drivers and everything works fine. I was using BETA Detonators/ForceWare and i'm now using BETA Catalysts. Whats the big deal anyway? Every software is beta,even if its saying that its Final version. There is no such thing as Final software :p

"Updated driver to WHQL Certified driver for GeForce 6 series only "

Looks like no more unified drivers.

Is SM3.0 causing this or something else in the architecture.

Back