NVIDIA NV40 GeForce 6800 Ultra Review

Discussion in 'Beyond3D News' started by Dave Baumann, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Anonymous

Veteran

Nv40

Yes ther is things r300 support Nv40 dont FP24 bit and some Directx9 Ms archtecureal codeing differances While Nv40now has a good DX9 card in performance it dosant have all of the peaices of Dx9 standard inmn place and or all code. the 9700 was based upon microsoft tech sheets Ms hands out and delvies papers with all the codeing needed and tools while beta but all ther in place. Nvida did not get sutch tools and papers so it guessed now with Nv40 it guessed some but fixed some things they went wrong with it still missing some DX9 code to make it a full fledged DX9 card aside from the PS 3.0 specs. i would say its missing maby a good 38% to maby 42% of being a real Dx9 card the Nv30/ others were missing a good 68%
    so Nvidia has made improvmenbts but because Nv40 still missing some shader code ofr PS2.0 and lacks FP24 it isant a complete real DX9 card

2. KimB

Legend

Re: Nv40

FP24??? I don't think that counts. Absolutely everything you can do on FP24 you can also do on FP32. There is zero shader code that will work properly on FP24 that won't work properly on FP32.

What, exactly?

Good to know your knowledge and intelligence is on par with your English writing skills. This is just utterly wrong.

3. Anonymous

Veteran

Nv40

I may have bad writeing but what i am saying is FP24/ other directx9 features in Ps 2.0 that are not presant sutch as seen here and this program shadermark 2.0 is not made for eather 1 card.
    http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q2/geforce-6800ultra/index.x?pg=13

features of directx 9 trhat are not supported by Nvida due to lack of parts. and posasably more

4. hmmm

Newcomer

Re: NV40 Your forgetting somthing while drivers are stioll

How on Earth do you know it doesn't look for some things that aren't in the DX spec?

notuptome, you're the worst type of fanboy (is f4nboy a banned word or something? it doesn't show up...). All the evidence indicates it fully supports DX9 PS/VS 3.0. You however claim it does not. Shadermark has some tests to fail to run on anything but ATI hardware. Is it not possible there is a bug in the software instead of in S3's and NVIDIA's hardware?

Your argument relating to FP24 is asinine. FP24 was the VS 2.0 standard. FP32 is the VS 3.0 standard. Everything you can do with FP24, you can still do with FP32... except with even more precision. If you really want to argue that FP24 is the PS2.0 standard and since NV40 does FP32 (i.e. a higher standard) instead, it doesn't live up to VS2.0, then go ahead. Okay, it does not meet the 2.0 standard. It meets the 3.0 standard. In other words, it exceeds the 2.0 standard.

Look most people around here thing NV3x really sucked. That NVIDIA's attempts to trick people into thinking it was good, were deplorable in the strongest terms. We think ATI's R3xx rocked. The fact that you have us defending NVIDIA should demonstrate pretty clearly how far out of this universe you are.

5. Anonymous

Veteran

Nv40

ok Ps is whats in it but because it supports PS3.0 dosant mean it supports all of PS2.0 specs witch it dosant . it is missing some things the Nv40 is fast card fast fast fast but does not support FP24 nore some PS2.0 specs i my self am a previously NV owner of a GF4 Ti 4400 . so i know Nv is good but ther Nv30 line was shit and while performance is better in Nv40 it still isant the best and Nv them self siad it best.

Delivering industry-leading graphics solutions entails a broad set of challenges and even some fortune-telling. Hardware designers not only must continually push the performance and functionality forward, but also anticipate the future direction for the major software application programming interfaces (APIs). Even with attention to every detail, coupling a new architecture with the long list of emerging application requirements from the various APIs can be daunting. When a new GPU is released, its new architecture may not suit the latest software programming techniques for one API, yet it may be ideally suited for the programming techniques of another.

6. DemoCoder

Veteran

You're a moron dude. It supports FP32. DX9 PS2.0 requires FP24 *minimum* FP32 exceeds the minimum spec, therefore FP32 is PS2.0 compliant.

Even the NV3x supported FP32 under DX9, it just couldn't run it fast enough. NV40 can run FP32 at full speed on the games that are being benchmarked.

You have not been able to list a single PS2.0 spec which the NV40 doesn't support.

7. Mariner

Veteran

I think you're just wasting your time with him DC.

Remember: don't feed the trolls! :)

8. Anonymous

Veteran

NV40

iam nota moron . nimrod FP32 is justa coler FP format what iam saying if ya read right or understand is the Nv40 lacks some Ps 2.0 shaders . ATI supports all Ps2.0 shaders by Microsoft Nvidas only supports a magority of them and lacks ther of soem of the Ps 2.0 shader codeing . thus in game using exstesive use of only Ps2.0 it will suffer some NV40 will and can because it then will result in some performance loss because it then will have to resort to alternate rendering shaders of its own .

9. Anonymous

Veteran

NV40

I will list some shaders Nv40 dont support

water coler shader Edge detections and hatching shader
    depth shadow mapping shaders point light sha
    brdf phong lighting shadersders High dynamic range shaders cross blurr HDR gussian blur

thats most of them maby a few more and thats what programs sutch as shadermark 2.0 cant run on Nv40 at all evan tho the program is not optimized for eather cards of manufacutes

10. DemoCoder

Veteran

all, totally incorrect.

11. Anonymous

Veteran

Nv40

How is that incorrect. if your refering to the HDR no its not its just surrent HDR Fx it dont support but ig ya mean the whole thing no iam not right here take a darn look if ya dont beleave me. and that program only supports DX9 compliant cards but dosant support optimizations to eather or it is a equale and fare to both

http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q2/geforce-6800ultra/index.x?pg=13

12. madshi

Regular

Re: Nv40

Now if you quote that article, you should also read it. Look what is written there:

So the article writer suspects that it's not the default of NV40, but the fault of ShaderMark. Somewhere else I've read that ShaderMark uses a specific texture format which ATI supports, but NVidia not. If that's true that specific texture format is probably optional but not mandatory for DX9 support.

notuptome, you're a newcomer here. Do really think you know more than all the other guys here, some of which are even developers?

13. Anonymous

Veteran

Nv40

Shader mark is not optimized for eather or graphics card at all . and secndly i have posted here for atleast 2 years just not same name. now shader marks site showsn and i quote: Currently there is no DirectX 9.0 HLSL pixel shader benchmark on the market are bases on hand written assembler shaders or partly HLSL shaders. drivers.
    shader execution is based on the hardware’s feature set, if specific features are not supported, the specific shader(s) will not workShaderMark v2.0. Driver cheating is also an issue. With ShaderMark, it is easily possible to change the underlying HLSL shader code (registered version only) which makes it impossible to “optimizeâ€￾ a driver for a certain shader, instead of the whole shader pipeline. The ANTI-DETECT-MODE provides and easy way for non-HLSL programmers to test if special “optimisationsâ€￾ are in the drivers

14. Anonymous

Veteran

So who are you really? Hellbinder or Doomtrooper? :roll:

15. Anonymous

Veteran

NV40

so that shows it shadermark siant made for eather one just made for DX9 HSLS or what ever it is and i was in here as Matrix but changed name . it dont matter man iam just stateing the Nv40 still in my eyes fails to be a true complte DX9 card and as i stated long time back yester day it has kick ass performance but all wait to see the ATI R420. R420 should be a great card as well . Nv40 just needs some work outs i would imagine with in what 4 months to 5 months NV will annouce a Nv42 or somthing with updated hardware support for further and full Dx9 support without anything missing

16. madshi

Regular

Does phpBB support a blacklist or an ignore filter or something like that?

17. Anonymous

Veteran

You people should listen to Hellbinder, he is "in the know" about most of ATI's GFX cards. Here are some quotes for you all to ponder :

18. Neeyik

Neeyik Homo ergaster
    Veteran

Enough people, okay? Any more pointless, repetitive, needless posts from anyone and Moddie Blokie will be out in force. This thread is to discuss Dave's excellent preview and nothing else.

19. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

Why do I hear Shaft's soundtrack in my head while reading this post? :lol:

20. KimB

Legend

Yeah, sorry, it is hard to resist when somebody spews crap, though....

Anyway, on a somewhat related topic, is anybody aware of any specific features that the R3xx supports that the NV40 doesn't?