NVIDIA NV40 GeForce 6800 Ultra Review

Discussion in 'Beyond3D News' started by Dave Baumann, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

[​IMG]By their own standards, NVIDIA endured a fairly rough time of things in the high end with the GeForce FX series. Today, however, NVIDIA are unveiling the beginnings of their NV4x architecture, heralded by the high end NV40, a.k.a. GeForce 6800 Ultra. Boasting new capabilities with DirectX9’s Shader Model 3.0 and Higher Dynamic Range rendering, GeForce 6800 Ultra is the part that NVIDIA expects to realign the performance and feature benchmarks.

Today we take a look at the NV40 architecture, the new features it brings, the GeForce 6800 Ultra board and put its performance to numerous tests.

<blockquote>"Looking at the RightMark3D tests we've selected here we get further confirmation of what we've seen previously - the PS1.x test having about twice the performance in 6800 Ultra and further gains for the more complicated shaders, up to over 6 times the performance for the Phong Lighting test. Again, we can see 6800 Ultra getting significant performance boosts from partial precision rendering with the longer, more complex shaders."</blockquote>To read more, click here.

2. Arun

Arun Unknown.
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Looking good Dave :)
    Still reading, and just one minor issue thus far: clicking on the "NV40 Quad Pipelines" diagram results in the non-quad pipeline diagram opening.

Uttar

3. oeLangOetan

Newcomer

shadermark :? ??

4. Evildeus

Veteran

Great review, still reading:
    A typo:
    p.14
    Moreover:
    2nd chart p.22 the % are messed up.

5. g__day

Regular

Shadermark, Aquamark3 and a few others surprise me for being absent, but a great review still being digested!

6. g__day

Regular

Grrrh - triple post sorry!

7. martrox

martrox Old Fart
    Veteran

Excellent preview of an excellent card, congrats to both nVidia and Dave.....

8. epicstruggle

epicstruggle Passenger on Serenity
    Veteran

great review as usual. I wonder how long until we get questions of why no comparisons to 9800xt from the noobs. :p
    later,
    epic

9. bloodbob

bloodbob Trollipop
    Veteran

Nice the angle dependant AF wasn't new for me I already discovered it earlier today from the hardocp pics I'm surprised they went down that path looks like its gonna be stuck in the industry for a while.

Well well well I guess we have finally answered "Is ut2k4 cpu bound" and the answer is clearly a yes.

I have to admit the shader preformance on that card is rock solid what I would like someone to do is some "color lossless compression test" on that thing.

10. Sxotty

Veteran

Others have said shadermark doesn't work with the 6800 perhaps that is why it is absent.

BTW it looks impressive to me at least. I am not going to run out and preorder one or anything :) but at least it looks like a good piece of hardware. Now to wait another couple of months...for availability and competition.

edit:

Can you run quake3, at like 640x480 32bit, and no AA or AF, I am just curious about how insanely fast it might go now... even though it will be cpu bound I suppose

11. bloodbob

bloodbob Trollipop
    Veteran

Nice the angle dependant AF wasn't new for me I already discovered it earlier today from the hardocp pics I'm surprised they went down that path looks like its gonna be stuck in the industry for a while.

Well well well I guess we have finally answered "Is ut2k4 cpu bound" and the answer is clearly a yes.

I have to admit the shader preformance on that card is rock solid what I would like someone to do is some "color lossless compression test" on that thing.

12. DemoCoder

Veteran

Im not buying any $400+ card until PCIE motherboards come out. I'll take a developer loaner card tho :)

13. Tic_Tac

Newcomer

The shader gains are impressive over the NV3x series.

Congratulations Nvidia, a new performance leader.

The Empire Strikes Back!

Will be interesting to see what a higher clocked and simpler 16 pipe card will do..

I wait for The Return of .. ATi.

14. I.S.T.

Veteran

Great review! I noticed a spelling error though.

The spelling error has been bolded.

15. martrox

martrox Old Fart
    Veteran

Will I get one of these? Well...... it's a firm maybe! The machine I'd like to put it in would be my HTPC, but it can't handle the power or heat. And it might - that's a bigh might - be overkill in my gaming machine, seeing as I cannot read text onscreen at more than 1024x768/1280x1024 ( with 21' Trinitron). And, it's anyone guess how this thing will take to watercooling.

Lets see what ATI is going to do to get my money now.... But the big thing is that nVidia has a card, for the first time since the introduction of the R3xx, that actually could find a home in one or more of my computers, and that's a very big (and good) deal.

16. Ostsol

Veteran

Except for the power requirements, it looks really nice! They've finally fixed their FSAA sample patterns and given a full suite of options for texture filtering control. It's interesting that they actually reduced their clockspeeds even further from the FX5800's 500 MHz, though I can't say that's surprising with such a massive chip.

Anyway, did you try out any of ATI's DX9 demos? :)

17. I.S.T.

Veteran

18. Sazar

Newcomer

nice review dave...

:thumbsup:

19. Anonymous

Veteran

Great preview!

A very good and thorough preview!
    Nice research on the 16 or 8 pipe part... Wonder how many others have even thought about it..

Much what I've come to expect from B3D :)

Alas, there was a couple of spelling errors, but not many :)
    Here you've lost a number
    here it's a bit ambigous (sp?) what you're trying to say.
    here it's
    Sorry to nitpick, but 30 pages and a couple of errors isn't bad at all!

20. jpabst

Newcomer