Nvidia not the only one using extreme cooling...

Sabastian

Regular
I thought sence everyone was being critical of the OTES cooling coming as standard for the unit some may want to take a gander at these. It appears that indeed the Radeon 9700 will be coming at higher clocks then it originally was slated.

sapphire.jpg

http://www6.tomshardware.com/business/02q4/021119/comdex_day_1-08.html

ficr300.jpg

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1750&p=6

"The beauty of this design (to be shipping early next year) is that it is FIC's own and it will be shipped in an overclocked state. Apparently ATI has no problem with FIC shipping R300 based cards overclocked from the factory and thus FIC will be doing just that. This may be necessary to compete with the GeForce FX early next year."

EDIT: I forgot about THG just click on the link to get a look see at the new Radeon 9700 pro from Sappire with passive cooling.

That cooling system doesn't look very 'extreme' at all. I think the grill they've put over the GPU HSf makes it look more impressive than it is.

Now Tyan's 9700 on the other hand, that has impressive cooling!

cellarboy said:
That cooling system doesn't look very 'extreme' at all. I think the grill they've put over the GPU HSf makes it look more impressive than it is.

Now Tyan's 9700 on the other hand, that has impressive cooling!

Ok fine.. maybe I should use the word "different" rather then extreme. BTW what do you think of the passive cooling on the Sappire card?

Hard do see anything from the picture of the Tyan card from their homepage... :cry: Anyway have a link for better one?

Sabastian said:
BTW what do you think of the passive cooling on the Sappire card?

Looks interesting. Not sure how I'm going to fit the hammer in my box though...

Edit: I forced a refresh and now I get the proper image. Looks kinda neat. Wonder how high they can clock that one up? At least 400Mhz?

I would think for people like L233 who were "most excited" about noise reduction mode on the NV30 fan, would be ecstatic about the Sapphire card. ;) In any case, choice is good.

Can't tell from the pic, but the Sapphire card, like the NV30, might also effectively take up the adjacent PCI slot. Trade-offs...

Well, while they may look impressive, they really arn't that much different than the stock heatsink.... and they are far more mundane than that monster on the NV30......

Joe DeFuria said:

I would think for people like L233 who were "most excited" about noise reduction mode on the NV30 fan, would be extatic about the Sapphire card. ;) In any case, choice is good.

Can't tell from the pic, but the Sapphire card, live the NV30, might also effectively take up the adjacent PCI slot. Trade-offs...

That is what I figured as well.

BTW does anyone know if nvidia has exclusive rights to OTES cooling system? I am wondering how high you could clock a Radeon 9700 pro using this method. I guess the really offensive thing with the OTES cooling on the NV30 is that it is standard cooling for the unit while in the case of the Radeon 9700 that isn't the case.

BTW does anyone know if nvidia has exclusive rights to OTES cooling system?

Well, first things first, OTES is not the same as nVidia's cooling.

OTES is ABit's technology.

The main difference between the two is that OTES gets the air intake from "inside" the case. The nVidia system's intake comes from outside the case . They are similar in that they both expel air directly outside the case.

I guess the really offensive thing with the OTES cooling on the NV30 is that it is standard cooling for the unit while in the case of the Radeon 9700 that isn't the case.

Well, I wouldn't call it "offensive" ;), but it does indicate that R-300 has more room for higher clocks if similar cooling systems were employed.

Ahh thanks Joe.

Hrm I used the word "offensive" because I see the mechanism as being almost insufferable in its size as it will in most systems make at least one PCI slot unusable. For something to come standard with it … well, it does seem a bit much.

Sabastian said:
Tokelil said:
Hard do see anything from the picture of the Tyan card from their homepage... :cry: Anyway have a link for better one?

Yeah this looks fairly impressive.

Come on, guys...you need to study these pics much more diligently...;) The Tyan 9700's heatsink is nowhere near the size of the FX version nVidia has shown. Not even close. Basically, the Tyan heatsink by comparison is very thin (compared to the Oates-like FX monster) and stretched to cover the ram. The *fan* on the FX is a monstrosity by comparison--such that there is no comparison, really. The Tyan fan doesn't need a "silent running" option. It's required on the FX (I would imagine.) So what needs to be compared here is not just the heatsinks, but the heatsinks & fans--the fan is what makes the FX approach so monstrous, IMO.

For something to come standard with it … well, it does seem a bit much.

I agree.

Having said that, I'm all for anyone providing us more choice by whatever means. If nVidia or ATI puts on a cooling system that requires 3 slots and a flux capacitor for power...but that enables them to gets the clock rate up to 1 Ghz....I'm all for it. ;)

Of course, we would all prefer less obtrusive arrangements, but at least we have the choice to decide if the trade-offs are worth it or not.

Hmm, I wonder whether the Nvidia boys got carried away by the acclaim of GF2U/GF3 custom water block cooling a while ago & possibly thought it'd be seen as cool to have such a wild stock cooler (pardon the pun)...

It would be fine for the enthusiast model, but not ideal for OEM/VAR sectors (as previously mentioned).

Joe DeFuria said:
For something to come standard with it … well, it does seem a bit much.

I agree.

Having said that, I'm all for anyone providing us more choice by whatever means. If nVidia or ATI puts on a cooling system that requires 3 slots and a flux capacitor for power...but that enables them to gets the clock rate up to 1 Ghz....I'm all for it. ;)

Of course, we would all prefer less obtrusive arrangements, but at least we have the choice to decide if the trade-offs are worth it or not.

Don't you think "less obtrusive" is a bit of an understatement? I know that back in the 60's I probably damaged a few brain sections and sound-receptor cells listening to Joplin and Hendrix among others, but having to don ear muffs to power up my computer strikes me as a bit too much...;) I mean, sure, to power up a roomful of machines sounding like a bunch of hydro-electric power station turbines would be cool for awhile, but I think the novelty would wear off pretty quickly. I guess I'm not a rabid overclocker, after all ....I'm just probably not "with it"...;)

but having to don ear muffs to power up my computer strikes me as a bit too much...

Again, it all depends on what it "buys us." Depending on the actual performance of NV30, I may agree. If it turns out slower, on par, or only marginally faster than R-300, then I agree it's too much, in my opinion.

But taken to absurdity...if the NV30 was 10X the performance of the R-300, then I wouldn't think it's too much at all. ;)

It all comes down to personal preference of the pros and cons. Some people may not care one bit about noise. Other people might care somewhat, but would overlook it if the performance that is delivered because of it is superior.

From the THG link:

The very first passive-cooled 9700 Pro board from Sapphire brings heavy metal glamour to the graphics industry. The board also doubles as a very dangerous bludgeon.

:LOL: :LOL:

The very first passive-cooled 9700 Pro board from Sapphire brings heavy metal glamour to the graphics industry. The board also doubles as a very dangerous bludgeon.

Never mind benchmarking these cards, let's have a shootout to see which one makes the best murder weapon! :LOL:

martrox said:
Well, while they may look impressive, they really arn't that much different than the stock heatsink.... and they are far more mundane than that monster on the NV30......

I have to agree...the Tyan might "look cool", but the bottomline is it's just a stock HSF attached to the ramsinks. That's nothing compared even to the ABIT OTES... When is ABIT going to get a clue and start building R9700 boards? :p

Hanners said:

Never mind benchmarking these cards, let's have a shootout to see which one makes the best murder weapon! :LOL:

LOL @ Hanners

In that arena, I would suspect that the NV30 would "slay" the competition.

Although that Sapphire card looks like it would be a very close second

Back