Nvidia may say 'we too', to offer 3 PCIx graphic slots for physic.

Discussion in 'GPGPU Technology & Programming' started by satein, Jun 12, 2006.

1. satein

Regular

VR-Zone posted the news on Nvidia to offer 3 PCIx to do Physic with the addtional GPU as what was presented by ATi at computex.

http://vr-zone.com/?i=3729
    This is quoted from the VR-Zone...
    Look rather interesting now if both ATi and Nvidia get into the game to offer 3PCIx for physic. What will be a respond from the Aegia PPU then? :roll:

2. sonyps35

Banned

Nvidia know a winning idea when they see it. I told you this was the way to do physics!

Nvidia must have planning this for a while now, just the announcment now (surely they were a bit behind ATI though)

3. IgnorancePersonified

Regular

Twin-PU, Dual-PU, DuoPU, BI-PU ... 2PU??

4. Arun

Arun Unknown.
    Moderator Legend Veteran

No offense, but the proper way to do physics on a GPU is to do proper on-chip "multitasking" so that there's no reason in hell you need a dedicated card for it. If you need more performance, you could just use Triple-SLI or whatever.
    The only reason 2xGraphics+1xPhysics makes sense is that current GPUs aren't all that good at such a thing. Which is why NV and ATI can brag about Vista Ownage all they want, their current solutions still are far from ideal, and so is the current Aero Glass distribution model. Whether it's G80/R600 that'll fix this issue, or future cards, I don't know...

Uttar

#4 Arun, Jun 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2006
  5. IgnorancePersonified

Regular

6. Rys

Rys Graphics @ AMD
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

And that'll be supported by both for Havok FX, accelerating 3D and physics in 1-card systems.

7. IgnorancePersonified

Regular

I thought that was 1 at a time. time-slicing?

8. _xxx_

Banned

I think it'll be called Poo-Poo-U ;)

9. Guden Oden

Guden Oden Senior Member
    Legend

Personally I think three graphics cards in one box is an utterly insane idea. As if two of them wasn't bad enough, high-end cards occupying four card slots worth of space and costing $500+ and burning upwards of 150 watts of power each, buying three of them to occupy six slots worth just lifts the whole concept of SLI from "dumb" to "stupid".

Physics processing doesn't belong on the graphics card at all, it's there to draw pixels. Most of the time it can't even do THAT at a rate that's completely satisfactory, and then go and bog it down with physics too... Terrible idea! Particulary as this GPU physics is just for looks; with feedback back to the CPU being so slow, the feasibility of gameplay-enhancing physics done on GPUs is greatly diminished.

That makes a dedicated solution much more attractive, IMO.

10. chavvdarrr

Veteran

I agree.
    What about "Torrenza" ? ;)

11. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

A second viddy card doing physics is a dedicated solution. :smile:

Would I personally pay for one for that purpose? Prolly not.

Would I keep my old one in the box to let it do that? Yeah, I can see that.

So far as I can tell, physx is doing everything they humanly can to prevent apples to apples comparisons with other solutions. This is probably because they'd either get ass-handed, or at least be unimpressive in comparison.

12. _xxx_

Banned

As far as I'm concerned it's just another kind of slot with a new fancy name.

13. karlotta

karlotta pifft
    Veteran

i have a job, i have a transformer on my farm, so power and cost is only a time issue... I guess this is just another USA system for us USA guys. And the best part is you can use your old pcie card to fill the 3rd slot.And if you are paying attention to the CF/SLi systems they are doubling the frames at highres, they are a real performance improvment, i see the gpu-pu-pu being the same relative to physics.So when i get my 1kw PCPower&cooling PSU i will run my outdoor "malibu" lights when im not gaming, and dry my laundry with the three card exhaust.:smile:

_xxx_ likes this.
  14. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

Except unlike SLI/XFire you don't have to pair identical cards so that cost you're using is exagerated. And as someone have said already, this works with single cards too.

That's not what we've been hearing. Obviously, benchmarks will tell the whole story but I'm guessing (hoping) they'll be at least as fast as AGEIA.

Look at it from this way: a graphics card IS a dedicated solution that CAN be made into graphics if you want. So you have two cards. When you play "CrazyPhysicsGame" you use 50/50 for graphics/physics and when you play "CrazyGraphicsGame" you set both your cards to graphics.

An AGEIA card only works for games that make use for it. A nvidia/ati card works with any game, physics aware or not. More flexibility, better price, better value.

15. Tim Murray

Tim Murray the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
    Veteran

Before somebody goes all "Video chips aren't as powerful for physics as physics chips! Science says so!", can you point me to some general purpose benchmarks comparing PPUs to GPUs? Anything beyond Ageia marketing nonsense? Anything substantive?

16. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

The key is probably "all else being equal", but not only is that rarely true, but almost certainly isn't this time. High-end gpus are some of the hot-rod-iest things on the planet. They could sustain a significant efficiency disadvantage and still might clean the floor with a new entrant. Are we even sure what Physx is clocked at?

Edit:

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=5492&page=2&search=physx

188mm2 at 130nm. . .and maybe 266mhz (tho that is unclear, and yes would be significant if it was 533mhz). Why don't we know? Because apparently they won't tell us such basic metrics as clockspeed (unless that has changed lately, this review is over a month old now).

17. epicstruggle

epicstruggle Passenger on Serenity
    Veteran

How long until Ageia, one ups them all by announcing that thei PPU's can also be used to replace graphics cards!!! :shock:

18. satein

Regular

Probably the first thing to do for Aegia is to place the VGA connector on its card :grin: Anyway, at this point, more options would be better then. In the next few years, who know that maybe ATi or Nvidia may put some PPU units on its GPU to help accelerate physic :cool:.

But I really like the term Poo-Poo-U quoted by you :lol:.

19. Tim Murray

Tim Murray the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
    Veteran

In a couple of years, a GPU will be a general-purpose vector processor...

20. satein

Regular

Sound rather promising :grin:.
    Could it process invert operation of a big matrix size faster than cpu? or any kind of matrix exponential? It would be lovely if Matlab will have an add-in that makes used of the GPU power too. I am not good at doing C-programming.