Nvidia Geforce GTX680 - Reviews

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Arty, Mar 22, 2012.

1. I.S.T.

Veteran

2. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Nvidia-exclusive partner Galaxy is readying a single-slot GTX 680 card, equipped with a thin blower cooler that might be based on a vapor chamber, considering how lean it is.

No details are available right now on things like clock speeds (in case they had to nerf the GPU to not overcook it), noise levels, video output configuration, release date or price. It looks very intriguing though with a single-slot design. It would be a real boon for a micro-ATX system like mine to get access to all 4 cardslots. I'm a bit wary of the potential noise such a thin blower could make though, I can imagine that fan would have to spin hellishly fast to pump enough air...

Also, I'm curious how video outputs would co-exist with hot air exhaust in just one cardslot's worth of space. Maybe the cooler simply dumps all hot air into the case in order to make room for ports on the rear bracket.

3. Alexko

Veteran

I don't recall ever seeing a single-slot card with any kind of external exhaust.

4. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

To put the card in some perspective, Galaxy released GTX 460 with single slot too, at Guru3D's review it was as loud as GTX 480, rated at 45dBA (for some reference, 6970 & GTX 570 SLI was rated at 42dBA) - and 460 is notably less power hungry than 680 is.
    They failed to deliver the planned single slot GTX 470 apparently.

5. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

The "2GHz card" is likely lost in translation, meaning they're planning to reach 2GHz on LN2 or liquid helium cooling, opposed to current record of 1.9GHz on reference (with beefed pwm)

6. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Very strange shroud design on that Palit card. It caps way too tightly around the sides IMO and does not seem to allow adequate ventilation for the large center fan in particular.

7. Bludd

Bludd Eric the Half-a-bee
    Veteran

The cat detector van from the Ministry of Housinge
    Wow this is hard to get in Norway. Only one e-tailer has some in stock.

8. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

TSMC seems to be significantly supply-constrained on their 28nm process, that's probably why.

Also, Nvidia published a somewhat alarming report, where they project that the $/transistor will hardly move downwards at all for 20nm and 14nm compared to 28nm, meaning the future development of GPUs could basically plateau unless prices increase massively for graphics cards.

9. Man from Atlantis

Regular

#90 Man from Atlantis, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2012
  10. I.S.T.

Veteran

11. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

12. Man from Atlantis

Regular

13. Albuquerque

Albuquerque Red-headed step child
    Veteran

I'm pretty convinced that NV 680 has some under-volting headroom somewhat akin to AMD's 7900 series. The Sapphire 7970 that I bought uses a 1000Mhz core speed at slightly less than stock volts to provide a similar result -- more clock, less power draw than reference.

14. Man from Atlantis

Regular

15. Alexko

Veteran

1.5V on 28nm sounds like a great way to kill a chip.

16. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Yeah, sounds really high volts. If it is not killed outright, then over time through electro-migration...

17. Bludd

Bludd Eric the Half-a-bee
    Veteran

The cat detector van from the Ministry of Housinge
    I ordered the plain EVGA version. Stop talking about these crazy clocked versions! :D

18. silent_guy

Veteran

Like a week or 2... (Probably a month or 2 but still...)