NVIDIA GeForce 6600 (NV43)

Discussion in 'Beyond3D News' started by Dave Baumann, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Dave Glue

Regular

One of the more impressive mid-range launches we've seen in years, IMO. This is the market that really gets me interested, as it's the segment that drives game content. Developers need the high-end cards to target the capabilities of their engines, but until they migrate down into the sub $300/$200 price point, the marketshare just isn't there.

Like Joe, I would have liked to see a sub $200 256-bit part, but then again the clocks on the 6600GT are quite high. Bear in mind the 6800LE is coming as well, it's a safe bet it will have a $249 MSRP, which (depending upon supply, good reason to be cautious here obviously), means by xmas you could see it in the $200 range as well.

SLI in a $200 part is very, very sweet - now we just need affordable motherboards. :?

When/if they come though, what a fantastic and hassle-free upgrade scenario. Get your 6600GT for say, ~$179. 6 months later, need a 70-80% boost for a new game that's chugging a little bit? That card is now probably ~$130. Pop it in. No worry about switching to a new vendor, haggling to sell your older card, questions like “Will the drivers have the same features as Nvidia'sâ€￾, “Will it perform better in all my gamesâ€￾, etc - you just get better performance where you need it for a relative pittance compared to purchasing a new high-end card in past years, with the exact same features and stability you've grown accustomed to (if that’s a good thing).

When even that 6600GT SLI combo becomes too weak for your liking, you now have two decent hand-me-downs for friends and relatives. It’s all good.

2. termikk

Newcomer

what's all this fuss about sli?
    I don't think it matters much except maybe marketing and sites mindshare.

I doubt people can or will use it and if it is available and working.
    you can't even get a decent motherboard for it!

these aren't the old times of the voodoo, nothing is the same...
    if all motherboards had two pci16x maybe but even then, time and time again 1 chip 1 board has proven to be the best solution
    Is there even a need to argue...

I would rather have 3screens panoramic support in games, heck even SM3!

So much people talking about it, does it mean ati is working on something more pratical also? Yawn...

3. PatrickL

Veteran

Wow your post was stunning. "The more impressive launch" ? What about wait that the card is really launched and tested and not only on marketing papers before being so extatic?

4. jvd

jvd
    Banned

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=342976

here are some benchmarks by a user who rma'd his 5900 and got the 6800 le

this is claimed to be a 8x1 300mhz 256bit bus , ram at 350 and 256 megs of it .

5. Anonymous

Veteran

How odd. In retrospect, I found it rather mundane, actually. Thanks all the same.
    It's hardly rocket science to extrapolate the relative performance based on the clock speeds and memory bandwidth. Doom3 may indeed be the best-case scenario, and I hope ATI can respond - but all we know is what ATI is offering now in a mid-range PCI-E part, and compared to this it's rather pathetic. SLI is the kicker here - but as I said, all we need are afforable motherboards with SLI. If they don't come, then the advantage is moot.

"Ecstatic", btw. Which wasn't exactly my feeling. Please project elsewhere.

6. PatrickL

Veteran

I am curious that you explain rationally how you expect that SLI gets any significant market shares. I don't even consider that it seems dual pcie cards wwill not be out before some months but just focus about the buyers for 200 $ and under.
    Explain to me what make you think that theses guys will suddenly changing there minds and buy more expensive systems to start in case they can upgrade before most of their system become out of date ?
    Unless you think that most motherboard maker will start to produce cheap dual pci-e motherboards "just in case", i don't see your scenario having any basis. Did i miss any PR from Asus Msi and so on about that ?

7. Dave Glue

Regular

That remains to be seen. Hence, the usage of "when/if" in my post, I'm quite aware this scenario is more hope than fact at this point. It's speculation, which is what frequently happens on this board when new products are announced.

You know - that discussion thing. Please, read my post again, you obviously missed it the first time.

8. Anonymous

Veteran

it has been launched. it's in production channels now. just hasnt been released for the public to buy yet.

nVIDIA is working w/ AMD on their nForce4 board which will come out in time for this year's holiday season. it's SLi ready.

probably be around the price of the nForce3 250 is now. so that's reasonable.

9. Anonymous

Veteran

the AGP version is coming out a month later. it uses nVIDIA's HSI since it's native PCI express.

10. jvd

jvd
    Banned

From what I under stand it will go like this

nforce 4 agp sub 100$ . nforce 4 pci-e single 100$ no raid single lan. dual raid , dual lan single pci-e 150$ . Or dual pci-e 150$ with no raid and single lan. 200$ dual pci-e with all the fixings .

So it wont be to expensive .

Though more than the nforce 3 250gbs that have dual lan and raid for 100$ .

11. Dave Glue

Regular

12. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

:lol:

13. Anonymous

Veteran

Advice...

Sorry to bump an old topic, but i'm a little stuck here and would really appreciate some advice from you guys...

I just bought a new gateway 500 GR (3.0 Ghz with 512 MB Ram) with the new intel chipset, which only has a PCI-Express slot (no AGP). I bought the base model, as i planned to get a nice video card (The only other option they had was the ATI x300 SE, which i know is absolutly atrocious when it comes to games).

Now my problem is I can't find any damn PCI-Express cards for sale! There's reviews all over the internet, but none for sale. The one's i really have my eye on are the gefore 6600 GT and 6800 GT or the ATI x800 XT.

So my questions are:

1. When are those going to be available to the general public?

2. Which card is best for me? (Mainly considering i want to run Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 with respectable framerates)

I know the 6800 and x800 are a decent step above the 6600, but if the 6600 comes out much earlier, i'll be tempted to go ahead and buy it, as right now i can't play anything, and i've got Doom 3, Far Cry, and UT2k4 just sitting on my desk... irritating to say the least...

Thanks for any help...

14. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

Here you go: NVIDIA NV43, GeForce 6600 GT.

(Note: Added by popular demand - Die Size [Actual figures may vary dependant on the accuracy of my ruler and my counting abilities])

15. DemoCoder

Veteran

Maybe you need a column now for # ROPs.

16. maosee

Newcomer

ok so it's supposed to be out the 2nd week of sept., but whe

ok so it's supposed to be out the 2nd week of sept., but when will it actually be available to purchase?

I WANT ONE NOW! :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

17. Anonymous

Veteran

Sorry to restart another old topic.

I need some advice from u guys.

I bought a system with the 925x chipset with the 3.4 EE and 1 GB DDR2 RAM in dual channel mode. The mobo as u know only supports PCI-e gfx cards. I have the money to buy the 6800 Ultra Extreme but I dunno whether my PSU can handle it. I have an additional connector but I read that it needs a new 6 pin connector.

So what should I do? Get the Ultra Extreme or the 6800 gt or the 6600 gt? Or should I wait for the X700 XT and get it?

18. Anonymous

Veteran

I've been looking all over for this card. Anyone know where I can buy it?
    NVIDIA 6800 GT GDDR3 PCI EXPRESS VERSION

Please help. Sorry if I missed the answer anywhere.

19. Anonymous

Veteran

why do ATI fans always try to talk about SLI like it's a waste of money? How can almost 2x the power for about 2x the price be a waste of money? personally, I think it's a good idea to have a good video card now, and when your card is old, just buy a new one for about half the price as the first one, compared to ATIs solution of throwing your old card away, and buy a new one. And btw, sli didn't just disappear last time because 1 card was better than two, anyone knows that 2 is better than one, sli disappeared because of the introduction of AGP, of which you can only have one. But that's just my opinion. Some other people might like having to buy a new card every time a new generation comes out, rather than being able to add on a cheaper old generation card for half the price, and get the same power.

20. randycat99

Veteran

...afterall, sharks have 2 penises! (No, I'm not trying to be facetious. I just thought it was an opportune moment for this nature trivia fact, of which I find the "2 penis" setup to be intriguing ;) )