NVIDIA GeForce 6600 (NV43)

Discussion in 'Beyond3D News' started by Dave Baumann, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Thowllly

Regular

* Shouldn't it say GT there?

2. vb

vb
    Regular

Does anybody else find the clockspeed delta between "vanilla" and GT at least surprising? I would like to see the power req for those two...

I see a couple of explanations:

a. they did a very low cost and low power ref board design for 6600
    (which would suggest Nv is (are :wink: ) desperate for some margins on the product or some OEM acceptance.)

b. They overclocked the GT like hell! I'm expecting that to be at least as hot as the 6800 plain version.

In that case, well, what are they expecting from competition in this price range? I can see a RV410 with 650 MHz+ clockspeed.

c. Both

3. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

No. RV410. Although I would expect the x600 will approach the performance of the vanilla 6600.

4. WaltC

Veteran

BelleVue Sanatorium, Billary, NY. Patient privile
    The 6600GT to me looks like the best bang-for-buck reference design nVidia's come up with in years. Still, it's a bit perplexing to me to see them restrict it to PCI-E (unless I am mistaken in that impression.) That would seem to me to almost guarantee late and very sparse availability in retail with almost all initial shipments heading for OEM-ville. nVidia needs a sold OEM product--but still even among OEMs I'd imagine AGP will handily outsell PCI-E for quite some time to come. It's certainly no surprise that it should do well in D3, as my R9800P seems to be doing very well with it at 1152x864 4xFSAA, 16xAF--it's very fluid for me with the 4.9b's (which I installed yesterday)--still cannot get over how much better Cpanel AF--and now FSAA--are as opposed to in-game control of these settings--I'm getting better IQ and performance both from the Cpanel with D3 so far (which I'd never have guessed would be the case.) So if my 9800P's up to it I know that the 6600GT will be, too.

5. dizietsma

Banned

You got your 3dchipset page up to date very fast :) I was going to use it for the 6800 values for bandwidth and fillrate but found the 6600 values already in there, so just copied rather than getting out Windows calculator.

Hope this page does not go away, very useful as a memory jogger ..cheers : TOAST:

6. dizietsma

Banned

This is a very good point, when the 754 3700+ came out it was very close to the 3800+ in price, but now it is a lot cheaper. For all of us running a 754 board now it will be lot cheaper to get a 3700+ plus 1 or 2 6600GT's running on a nforce4 754 board than a 3800+ plus same. It's even cheaper of course using your existing AMD64 2800/3000/3200/3400 with the 6600GT.

At present I have an AMD 3400+ that will run 2400Mhz all day long so it seems a shame to have to junk it if nforce4 is only for 939 :(

In agreement with the person some posts above 500Mhz is a very big jump over the 300Mhz of the lower spec example. Does this mean that the 300Mhz 6600 has a very big overclock potential ? If it gets near 500 then we just have to wait for some AIB's to start sticking in Hynix 2.2ns DDR1 memory which has proved very overclockable for nvidia in the past. No SLi though.

This really is a very good marketing ploy by nvidia so soon after Doom3. Nobody knows when they will get on the market, but it kills current the X600 so makes people hang on for what could be in the mid range sector. Ati need to respond.

7. Cryect

Regular

That's just what Dave wants you to think ;)

J/K

I have to say the 6600 looks great for the OEM market and those who want to upgrade without spending a lot.

8. Anonymous

Veteran

Lose the "s" as it's only used to reflect the singularity of the object performing the action of the verb (as we all know).

:p

Kjetil

9. T2k

T2k
    Veteran

LOL. :)

You know, I don't work for free because I'm a professional - sorry, I couldn't resist... :p

10. Killer-Kris

Regular

So Dave or Rev, do you guys have any idea when you might be getting review samples? Because I'm anxiously awaiting B3D's review, you guys always seem to know how to treat those boards :wink: if you know what I mean.

11. gunblade

Newcomer

Then R410 have to take on both nv43 and nv41?

There will be a nv41 aimed at $299 market soon.
    So, initially it supposed to be

x300 vs 6200(nv44) at price point 99 or lower
    x600 vs 6600 at price point(MSRP) 149 ~199
    x700 vs 6700 at price point(MSRP) 249~299

12. Mariner

Veteran

Personally, I can't see even the X600XT competing too well against the standard 6600. I know it has more bandwidth, but loses out in fillrate by a fair amount (about 20%). We also know that the X600 does not have all the bandwidth-saving features of the more expensive chips. Since we've heard nothing to the contrary, I'm assuming that the 6600 series do have all the bandwidth saving bells & whistles of the 6800 series.

13. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

And why would you want to assume that? If they want to compete in the ~$100-150 market they will need to do quite a bit to keep costs down. It's not nearly as simple as 1/2 of a 6800GT for half the price.

14. Anonymous

Veteran

It has ~143 million transistors. That doesn't imply that they have done that much to keep the costs down afa removing funtionality.

15. Diplo

Veteran

According to this preview by HotHardware:
    Question: Would converting from PCI-E to AGP have any impact on performance at all? How about reliability?

16. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

Did we not say the same?

But I digress...

Effectively I would say you can consider PCIe to be a superset of AGP, so the AGP bus of the chipset / motherboardisn't going to be supplying anything at a faster rates then the graphics bus can handle. Technically you'll introduce a bit of latency, but I wouldn't say that would affect things much.

17. Dave Baumann

Moderator Legend

:?:

18. Diplo

Veteran

Soz, Dave, I did read your article first, honest! I was just working my way through other sites' inferior versions when that thought struck me :)

Anyway, latency was what I was wondering about, but I guess it probably won't be a factor.

How do people feel about Nvidia targetting the OEM market first (with PCI express) rather than the enthusiast market with AGP? Do they presume all the hardcore gamers will buy a 6800? It's just that I think there might be a lot of people who would be keen a 6600 if it came out soon and was AGP. However, how many will wait, I wonder?

19. Dave Baumann

Moderator Legend

I think its just the nature of the beast, and fundamentally I'm quite happy with it.

For starters - NVIDIA need to get this product out of the door as soone as possible, and with a native PCIe interface the quickest way to do that is with a PCIe board. However, to back convert to AGP they will need new boards, possibly new layouts (if they are using the HSI in descrete form, which is cheaper than on the same package AFAIK), new bios and a whole bunc of new Q&A process - not point in delaying a product by a month or two because you are working out the back conversion to AGP. Alternatively, if you decide to push out the PCIe version before you work out the AGP board then you need to announce it becuase it will start turning up in OEM configs.

From the perspective tht I am happy about is that the more boards there are out there in the retail channels that support PCIe the more there will be an incentive for people to move to the platform. I've heard suggestions that ATI may even not introduce their highest end SKU's on AGP anymore, which may provide impetous for moving over to PCIe.

20. Evildeus

Veteran

Not that, more on the graphical (PS/VS) part
    http://www2.hardware.fr/news/lire/12-08-2004/