NVIDIA GeForce 6600 (NV43)

Discussion in 'Beyond3D News' started by Dave Baumann, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

[​IMG]NVIDIA kicked off the GeForce 6 Series with the GeForce 6800 Ultra, and subsequently introduced the 6800 GT and 6800, all based on the NV40 processor. Today NVIDIA are unveiling the second chip in the Series 6 range, NV43, aimed at the mainstream market position.

NV43 can effectively be thought of as half an NV40 – with 8 SIMD pixel shader pipelines (still with double Z/Stencil rates), 3 MIMD Vertex Shaders, a 128-bit memory bus width, full Pixel Shader 3.0 support and 64-bit floating point blending and filtering. Other than the performance features, one area that NV43 differs from NV40 is that this is the first of NVIDIA’s native PCI-Express chips. Also, while NV40 is presently produced on IBM's 130nm FSG process, NV43 will be utilising TSMC's 110nm process in order to minimize die sizes.<p align="center">Click Image to Enlarge
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    GeForce 6600 GT

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    GeForce 6600</p>NV43 will appear in two configurations: GeForce 6600 GT (higher end version, normally associated with the “Ultra†moniker) and the GeForce 6600. The GeForce 6600 GT is set to feature a core speed of 500MHz and GDDR3 memory at 500MHz (1GHz effective), whilst the 6600 will have a 300MHz core, with the memory configuration being left to the individual vendor. The GT version of the 6600 will also feature NVIDIA’s SLI capabilities.

NVIDIA are expecting the GeForce 6600 GT to be available in September from online retailers for a price of $199. Although there will be retail boards available, being native PCI Express the boards initial primary market will be the OEM and System Integrator channels as, at the moment, the after market for PCI Express is fairly small. With the “HSI†PCI Express bridge chip, NVIDIA will be able to reverse its initial use in order to turn this PCI Express native chip into an AGP compatible board; bridged AGP versions should be available later in the year, with similar, if not the same, performance characteristics, although NVIDIA aren’t announcing any specifics on these configurations just yet. With PCI Express supplying 75Watts of power across the bus the PCI Express boards will not require any external power connectors, although its expected the AGP versions will do when they are announced.

Another feature of the 6600 will be the video encoder functionality, much talked about at the NV40 launch. NVIDIA are suggesting that NV40’s video encoder was for decode only, however NV43’s will benefit both encoding and decoding functionality.

Expect to see 6600 benchmarks in the coming weeks. Read the GeForce 6600 Press Release here.

2. Evildeus

Veteran

I saw on HFR that the architecture of the NV43 is more optimized than the NV40's one. Any more information on that? :?:

When can we expect first figures? In early september?

3. Joe DeFuria

Legend

Looks like a decent part...though my only disappointment is the 128 bit bus.

Sigh.

I was really expecting 256 bit bus to finally hit the $200 price point (for a new SKU) this product cycle. I hope ATI can work that out with the RV410/420 or whatever they're cooking up.

I guess it really is more expensive to ship, say, a 256 bit part with 350 Mhz ram, than a 128 bit part with 500 Mhz?

The "standard" 6600 looks remarkably like the Radeon 9500 Pro, depending on shipping memory speed. I'd like to see that a $100 MSRP, but I'm guessing it'll be more in the $150 range?

Lack of initial AGP parts will of course limit this to mostly OEMs for now, not a bad thing for nVidia, but not great for the add-in consumer / retail market.

I'm a bit surprised that nVidia doesn't launch PEG and AGP variants simultaneously...wasn't that touted as one of the advantages of their bridge technology? To be able to do just that?

4. Anonymous

Veteran

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040812/sfth033_1.html

The GeForce 6600 GT rips through DOOM 3(TM) at a stunning 42 frames per second at high quality, high-resolution (1600x1200x32) settings (i).

(i) Based on internal testing performed at NVIDIA on an Intel Alderwood
    motherboard with a 3.4GHz Pentium 4 Extreme Edition and 1GB of RAM
    using GeForce 6600 GT with Forceware 65.71 drivers on Doom 3 retail
    version timedemo: demo1. Running at 1600x1200x0XAAx0XAF high quality setting, the GeForce 6600 GT scored 42.5 frames per second.

5. dizietsma

Banned

So the 6800 has 3900 Mpix fill rate v 4000 for 6600GT and 22.4Gb / sec bandwidth v 16.

Looks pretty good value at that price point IMO even at 128 bit bus. Almost X800 speeds in Doom3, but trailing by a lot in Far Cry/HL2 etc I would guess

Shame there is a delay on the AGP parts.

6. Mariner

Veteran

Hmm. If true, I can imagine a few 6800 owners could be somewhat unhappy. I notice the NV pages for the 6800/6600 series don't list WMV9 encoding among the capabilities of the cards, although they do both list MPEG encode/decode - I thought that support for this was initially claimed when the first reviews of the 6800 came out?

7. Thunderbird

Newcomer

8. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

Say what? :?

9. elroy

Regular

Looks like an excellent starting point for NV43M, which we'll hopefully see when Centrino 2 is announced :)

10. Anonymous

Veteran

Yea thats only $265 canadian for the 6600gt and those are the normal prices listed so retail should be lower pretty fast.

I'd buy one since my main concerns halflife and counterstrike for future games and they won't be very demanding i think. Only problem is the pci motherboard and if your going to buy a 6600gt you would want one with two pci express slots just so you could upgrade to sli when needed which would be a pretty big selling point.

If nvidia would come out with a two pci express slot motherboard at a good price that would really help them two ways selling video cards and motherboards. I'd like to see a AMD 64 / S-754 motherboard since AMD 939 cpu's are so expensive.

11. Mendel

Mendel Mr. Upgrade
    Veteran

so how would this compare to 6800 vanilla? (12 pipe, not gt, not ultra)

12. tay

tay
    Newcomer

ACK!!!

I have a GF3 w/ Barton 2800+. I can get a used 5900XT for 155. Should I wait for the 6600GT *groan*. It looks like it will be almost 2x the speed of the 5900. You think the AGP part will be out in October? I suppose I can wait to play doom3 *double groan*.

13. Sanctusx2

Newcomer

This is WAY off topic, but I have a grammar question: Is "Nvidia are..." the correct usage? I've always noticed in 90% of tech articles and in daily life that most people say "Nvidia is" or "Abit is doing well." Similarly, I've seen a disparity with how the word "data" is treated. A minority seem to treat it as if it was a word with the 's' suffix. For example, I usually hear "the data has been backed up" or the "the data is secure." But I've also read on one or two sites, "the data are backed up" or the "data are secure." Usually I would think "are" is reserved for words that end with 's', like "the birds are flying away!" but "the flock is flying away."

I don't claim to be a master of grammar, I'm just very curious as the "Nvidia are..." sentences scream incorrect grammar to me. It seems very unconventional on most sites and in common speech(at least in California).

14. Neeyik

Neeyik Homo ergaster
    Veteran

"NVIDIA are..." is fine if it's referring to a collective group of people known by a name. For example, "Metallica are..." or "Man United are...". However, if it's referring to an entity rather than the notion of people themselves, then one must use "NVIDIA is...".

Data is the plural of datum, but it's acceptably used in a singular sense too, so "data are..." is potentially okay.

15. Sanctusx2

Newcomer

Aha, thanks for the explanation. It makes a little more sense to me now. Still difficult to get used to as I guess most people don't bother to make the distinction. So I was completely wrong, the people using "are" have a better grasp on the language than most of us(assuming its used correctly). =P

16. Neeyik

Neeyik Homo ergaster
    Veteran

I should image that it's horses-for-courses for the most part but in vertex bound situations, high level AA, heavy texturing situations (most likely with AF), the vanilla 6800 would probably ease ahead.

17. Reverend

Banned

Beyond3D are Dave, Nick, Kristof, Marco, Anthony, etc.

Beyond3D is glad that all of the above works for free.

Sorry, couldn't resist! :)

18. Thowllly

Regular

Then it's not running at high quality, 8xaf is part of the high quality setting. But it's still a good score...

19. Hellbinder

Banned

an X600 is supposed to compete with that???

wonder what its shader performance is like.

20. Neeyik

Neeyik Homo ergaster
    Veteran

Free? Damn - I knew I'd been doing something wrong....