Nvidia GeForce 337.xx beta drivers

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by DSC, Apr 7, 2014.

1. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

This promises some whopping performance increases for DX11 titles. Wonder if it plays out that way in the real world.

2. pharma

Veteran Regular

Actually not just DX 11 titles, but according to Nvidia:

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforce-337-50-beta-performance-driver

3. frameavenger

Newcomer

4. Psycho

Regular

5. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Looks like the marketing slide either hand-picked the games showing the most dramatic increase (to give a skewed sense of perspective of the overall effectiveness of this driver release), or those games were specifically targetted for extensive driver tuning/massaging.

6. DSC

DSC
    Banned

7. lanek

Veteran

Its clear when you read that :

And just as a reminder, for Thief, SLI was just not working at all, and they compare to 290x CFX who is just barely supported on the driver they had use. ( negative scaling who should be adressed soon )..

Marketing, marketing..... lol.

#9 lanek, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2014
  8. pharma

Veteran Regular

Looking forward to those improvements ... Since these improvements are only related to addressing CPU bottlenecks that can be improved via gpu driver updates that's pretty darn good benchmark performance when compared against their competitor's API. Looks like Nvidia can hold it's own and more until the arrival of DX12 -- the real competitor of an almost forgotten, supposedly groundbreaking API ... lol. Bring it on Nvidia!

9. Lightman

Veteran Subscriber

It broke ground for nVidia to concentrate their efforts on CPU bottleneck. Also it's quite a different thing to write your engine for efficient API than working your driver team to optimize driver for specific games (with some general efficiency optimization).
    I think API approach is much better for the long run and hence I'm quite happy we will get/have DX12/Mantle for that. nVidia optimization efforts are important too, but this is more fighting the symptoms of disease rather than curing the root cause of it.

10. Psycho

Regular

I meant carefully picked special cases within those picked games.

Doubt that.. especially for Rome and Hitman. For Hitman they have been far behind until now, which smells like other problems than general dx11 implementation efficiency. Also Hitman shouldn't be a very api intensive game.
    I could easily imagine nvidia has been piling up some specific application optimizations for this anti-mantle-campaign release..

11. pharma

Veteran Regular

#13 pharma, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2014
  12. Zaphod

Zaphod Remember
    Veteran

Anyone seen any benchmarks on a weaker gaming CPU, say an i3 or something from AMD?

13. silent_guy

Veteran Subscriber

One day, the genius at Guru3D has to explain me the rationale for using different color assignments in different bar charts. It's annoying enough to usually not even bother going there.

Other than that, this seems to be a well engineered GPU. AMD has finally learned how to do cooling! And the design looks nice too.

14. DavidGraham

Veteran

Most gains are in Metro LL, Ghosts, Sleeping Dogs, Hitman. And the Mantle trio : Thief, BF4, and StarSwarm. The rest is irrelevant.

15. Albuquerque

Albuquerque Red-headed step child
    Veteran

I had asked this question earlier, and didn't see any reviews. I very much want to see an i3 or even one of the Ivy Bridge Pentiums take a run at some gaming benches. I'm very curious if these are indeed "efficiency" gains, or just dependence on an uber-CPU to spawn a crap-ton of threads to help even it out.

Most of the reviews have been on either a highly clocked 4770k or a 4960X / 3960X. The "competing API" is about true efficiency, not leveraging extra CPU to drag the GPU driver along by brute force. I'd like to see the efficiency claims proven rather than assumed.

16. pharma

Veteran Regular

Agreed! I always find the graph color assignments annoying to say the least!:???:

17. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

Looks like the product of carelessness more than design. At least I hope so.

18. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Interesting point from [H]'s R9 295X2 review, as they used these new betas for their GF numbers:
    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/04/08/amd_radeon_r9_295x2_video_card_review/12#.U0Ri78uKAwE

Explains some of the performance gains