Nvidia GeForce 301.42 WHQL drivers

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by DSC, May 22, 2012.

1. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

I would wait. The PDF release notes aren't up yet (click and you see the old notes) and this release isn't searchable yet on the site.

2. DSC

DSC
    Banned

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforce-301.42-whql-drivers-released/

#3 DSC, May 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2012
  3. Bludd

Veteran

Thanks. The PDFs haven't been updated yet, though. Or they haven't caught their mistake.

Edit: If I search for 680 GTX in the driver finder form, I get the old driver. If I search for 690, I get the new one. They haven't updated their finder properly.

Edit2: Seems to work fine now.

#4 Bludd, May 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2012
  4. psolord

Regular

Thankfully Risen 2 works properly with SLI now. It was about time.

I have caught Nvidia being late in their support with both Alan Wake and Risen 2, regarding their dual gpu driver. AMD was 1-1,5 month earlier supporting these two games. The overall score still favors Nv though.

5. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Not-so-subtle barb directed at AMD for its recent decision to move bunches of cards to legacy status? :razz:

6. Davros

Legend

Have nv finally fixed "show only applications installed on this computer" yet ?

7. Svensk Viking

Regular

Haha yeah, I noticed that too
    Pretty fun when we see companies having humour

8. psolord

Regular

I wonder why my desktop icons keep changing place each time I enable/disable SLI.

I mean how difficult is it to leave the infernal things at their place and why don't they fix it already?

I never had this problem on my crossfire system.

9. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

It's fundamental to windows, which does not, and never has cared about your icon positions. Whenever the screen resolution is changed so the current arrangement doesn't fit, windows just scrunches everything up into a jumble whichever way it feels like.

...And that happens whenever the graphics driver turns off the desktop to enable SLI or crossfire. Don't ask me why it needs to turn off the desktop. That seems like something that should just be handled silently internally. Guess it's engineering mindset/thinking at work, rather than human relations making the decisions... :)

10. Bludd

Veteran

11. psolord

Regular

Coming to think of it, my crossfire system used to be more minimalistic, so Grall's explanation fits perfectly. Not many icons back then to shuffle around.

Still, Bludd's desktop restore worked like a charm, after removing a couple of rogue icons, that seemed to have a mind of their own.

Thanks guys.

12. Sinistar

Sinistar I LIVE
    Regular Subscriber

Yeah, this isn't an SLI only thing, happens with Crossfire too.

Edit: Thanks Bludd for that link.

13. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

With the move from 2D to fully DX/3D pipeline driven desktops MS introduced a mode called "linked adapter". Without this all of the GPU's would be be chewing up power renering the desktop in AFR mode; somewhat wasteful. Linked adapter is the Windows setting that will switch from a single GPU mode to a multi-GPU mode (and also how we detect that we can turn the addition GPU' down int very low power or ZeroCore power states).

14. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

So why not run the desktop in linked adaptor mode all the time regardless of wether there's additional GPU(s) in the system or not? Getting all your icons and window positions screwed up every time the SLI/CF switch is flipped gets a tad annoying after a couple years... ;)

15. sprachit

Newcomer

GeForce 301.42 WHQL contains and even tweaks some those features while improving support for GTX 600 cards (including GTX 670 4-way SLI) and half a dozen 3DTV displays, as well as fixing a plethora of single and multi-GPU bugs. You'll also find new or improved SLI and 3D Vision profiles for many games, especially new releases like Max Payne 3, Dirt: Showdown, Sniper Elite V2, and Street Fighter X Tekken.

16. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

I just installed 310.x drivers yesterday on my fresh Windows 8 installation, so I presume that's what you mean. ;) I understand the mistake, as the mistake is on one of the download pages of Nvidia's own site as well I think.

17. Blakhart

Newcomer

I thought 301 was the last non 8 driver?