Nvidia G71 - rumours, questions and whatnot

Discussion in 'Pre-release GPU Speculation' started by ToxicTaZ, Dec 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ailuros

Ailuros Epsilon plus three
    Legend Subscriber

By the time I ditched the V2/SLI setup for a V3/AGP I had a 17" CRT. 800*600 or 1024*768 are a totally different story there with the according viewable space and dpi values.

2. Sunrise

Regular

I know where you come from, actually i had the exact same configuration and 17" (Samsung 17GLsi) CRT, which was a very good balanced setup back then.

3. caboosemoose

Regular

Well, needless to say if you are using a CRT then anti-aliasing almost becomes a non-issue at high resolutions. AA is much more improtnat for LCDs running at native, but I agree that if I had to choose between AA and AF I'd choose AF - you just lose so much texture detail without AF.

4. stevem

Regular

OT. Not in this era of B3D...

5. KimB

Legend

Only if you are going significantly above the "recommended" resolution.

6. Fox5

Veteran

At high resolutions, AF isn't as important either.

7. KimB

Legend

Er, anisotropic filtering increases texture detail vastly more than upping the res.

8. martrox

martrox Old Fart
    Veteran

I can't live without either........

9. KimB

Legend

Yeah. I always run with both on (with the exception of HDR...though I haven't played a game that used HDR in a while....something which I'm sure Oblivion will change).

10. Ailuros

Legend Subscriber

Where it stretches content and performs some sort of oversampling on one axis anyway ;)

11. Fox5

Veteran

Ah yeah, what I was really thinking of was texture aliasing. High resolution helps texture aliasing more than AF, at least in my experience.

12. Ailuros

Legend Subscriber

You are of course correct, yet the performance impact for AF is relatively small to skip on it. You'd lose way more performance with any amount of AA.

http://users.otenet.gr/~ailuros/fear.png

13. Turtle 1

Newcomer

I see freedom of speech is at work here.

14. Razor1

Veteran

? You have some very confusing posts today Turtle.

15. Turtle 1

Newcomer

Really could you explain that . I have asked 4 times to links to G71 specs thats on topic. Those post are gone. I also asked about GDDR 4 memory will it be samsung 256 or will it be 512 thats produced by another company. Those post are gone . Is there some secret people shouldn't know about? Not likely . I seen in this thread dual core nv gpu's and r590 80nm both using GDDR 4 memory. I have asked were there going to get the 512 memory from not samsung.

Simple questions deleted threads why ? What speed is the GDDR4 going to run at samsung 256@2000mhz or another companies 512 @2600mhz

If people are going to throw out GDDR4 than they should know the speed bin . If people say G71 dual core were's the link My post in this thread have been on topic except one were a replied to a flame. all magicly deleted. Go up three threads I don't see were this is on topic. I have seen a lot in this topic about nvg71 yet no links.

So its alright for me to say R590 is going to be 96 alu's and provide no link to such an outragest statement.

#1155 Turtle 1, Feb 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2006
  16. Neeyik

Neeyik Homo ergaster
    Veteran

I removed your posts and for several reasons. Firstly, they could have simply been done as one post; secondly, they were not simple questions as you claim rather you meandered around, making irrelevant points before finally asking something; thirdly, you've been going round various threads of late doing the same thing in each case. This isn't about so-called "freedom of speech" (which isn't affected in anyway by having your posts removed - read the rules that you agreed to when you opened your account) but one of spam.

17. KimB

Legend

Oh, and Turtle, don't ask us to do work to cover up your own laziness. Not only that, but it's a frikkin' rumor. We don't really expect it to have any basis in reality anyway, so who cares?

18. Moloch

Moloch God of Wicked Games
    Veteran

QFT
    I only have one res about mine.. 1600x1200.
    19" non flat crt.
    I find that AA is far some useless at 1600x1200.
    In some games you usally need pleanty of SSAA to make it look right, like live for speed.
    It really needs 8xS or even 16XFSAA to get rid of the texture aliasing, without it it's quite distracting.
    I play racing games so it's easierto see aliasing verses FPS games but even then you can easily see aliasing so I'm not sure what he's on about.

19. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

Really? don't you just fiddle with the in-game LOD.. 16xAF and 2 or 4x msaa work fine with me..

(or are you giving the three appartment towers viewed at the long straight at blackpool as an example?)

20. Moloch

Moloch God of Wicked Games
    Veteran

Here's some screenshots of live for speed S2, one at 4x fsaa with SS TAA and one with 16X fsaa,
    This game seems like a good one to test texture filtering, atleast on nvidia cards.
    I'm pretty astonished by the level quality of filtering in live for speed, you have to see it in motion to really get it.. I guess nvidia wanted the filtering to be good enough for sshots but not good enough in motion :D
    texture shimmering and moire++
    7800GT using 81.98 drivers on xp X64.
    All testing done with no optimizations with 16xAF.
    [​IMG]
    ^ 4x/ss TAA
    [​IMG]
    ^- 16xfsaa
    if I had a dual core cpu I'd make a fraps video...

#1160 Moloch, Feb 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.