Nvidia G71 - rumours, questions and whatnot

Discussion in 'Pre-release GPU Speculation' started by ToxicTaZ, Dec 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim

Tim
    Regular

Neither was the 7300.

2. HaLDoL

Newcomer

Neliz, you're not funny anymore. All your nv bashing is getting tedious.
    So one more time: the GTX 512 was available at launch, if you wanted one you could have had one. Even after the launch the card was available but not in stock, you had to wait 2-3 weeks. Now it is in stock in several stores and it's price is below the X1900XTX. It is more available than the X800XT PE and X700XT ever was.

I did not see any R580 CF cards, nor the announced RD580 motherboard (at launch day).

3. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Well I'm sure you and the other three people looking for them would've been very disappointed. :wink: R580 in the form of X1900XT(X) was launched very hard.....a motherboard and low volume SKU based on R580 may have lagged a bit but that's not the point.

4. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

RD580 hasn't been announced yet (which is why they withdrew from the plan of announcing it at the same time as X1900).

5. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

R580 CF's are still on stock (overclockersuk, and some other sites.) http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/X1900_Series.html

And last time I checked, RD580 still hasn't launched.. so that would explain some availability problems.

And for every store that has a 512GTX selling for less than a xtx, there is a store that sells xtx's for less than a 512gtx..

actually here in holland there is only one store selling a 512gtx for less than a 1900xtx (and that one doesn't have them on stock... :) )

nV fumbled...

6. Tim

Tim
    Regular

BS - there was nowhere global avalibility at launch. (actually some places the first x1900s where in stock before the first GTX512s).

A two 2-3 wait |= availileble. And it is not even true, for most people the wait was way longer.

And it slower and more expensive than the x1900xt, what is your point?

Untrue the X800XT PE had (and still has) better availibility than the GTX512, the x700xt was cancelled.

The R580CF board was availeble and the RD580 has not lauched yet.

7. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

is :)

Besides.. there were more X800XT-PE's than 6800 Ultra Extremes

8. HaLDoL

Newcomer

When you're planning to launch the X1900, the X1900 CF and the RD580 on the same day, and you only succeed in launching one, then it's not a 100% succesful launch.
    That's my point. Of course it is nitpicking but so is complaining about the GTX512.

When do you ever stop? I was talking about the GTX512 and now that I've cleared that out, you going over to the 6800UE. What's next? NV30?
    I really have to see the first useful or constructive contribution of you in this G71 thread.

#1108 HaLDoL, Feb 7, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2006
  9. Dave Baumann

Moderator Legend

Now, thats a first!

10. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Indeed! The failed non-launch! My goodness what that standard would do to both companies. . .Do you get a discrete failure for each day you non-launch each product?

11. Tim

Tim
    Regular

You where one who brought up the X800XT PE and x700XT. The GTX512 did not have global availebility before this months it was not a hard launch period - claiming that it was is either dishonest or delusional.

Why do you try to derail it then? The fact is that you started this whole line of discussion.

12. N00b

Regular

Could you tell me where the 512 was not available at launch time? Here in germany it went out of stock so fast (3 days) that people where claiming it was not available, even though it was.

13. KimB

Legend

I wouldn't say that. What company wouldn't want to have their highest-end product in higher demand than they can make them?

14. Tim

Tim
    Regular

It was not in stock here in Denmark.

15. Dave Baumann

Moderator Legend

Lets move on from GTX 512MB availability please.

16. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

<Attempts to steer thread back OT>

So how about the following scenario:

8 quad G71 launches as 7900GTX as a limited-availability "glory" SKU with an MSRP equal to X1900XTX, but with retail prices through the roof as a result of high demand and low availability.

6 quad G71 launches as 7900GT with high availability and an MSRP below X1900XT. Nvidia push this part hard.

End of Summer G80/NV50 launches with GTX/GT models and GDDR4 memory support, and replaces the 7900GTX in the product lineup with both SKUs sitting above the 7900GT.

I think this strategy addresses some of the seeming conflict in a close G71-G80 launch window.

17. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

It's not only the high end we're talking about right?

If I interpret dave's r6xx hint correctly, ati will launch a top to bottom WGF2.0 lineup somewhere this callender year.
    Not only does the delayed launch of the g71 collide with g80's launch schedule, the 7600 does the same thing.
    The 7300 is available for a few days now, right? a may launch of g80 would also start demand for a mid-range SM4 part.. and a low end one, come h2.

If G80 is to launch.. it will be in the second half of this year.. the lifespan of a newly designed g71 versus a newly designed g80 would contradict logic and drive costs..

18. Tim

Tim
    Regular

To help bringing the thread back on topic, I will post my views on the G71. I would be very suprized if we saw any significant architectural changes over G70 - with the G80 comming so soon after I think that would be waste of resources. I think the two main questions are 24 vs. 32 pipes and core/memory speed. It does not seem like we will see a complete G8x lineup from the day one - for that reason I think a 24 pipe G7x 90nm chip would make a lot of sense at the $299 MSRP point after the G80 is released. A 32pipe G7x chip will be more or less replaced by the G80, thus the G71 will be a pretty much unchanged G70 at 90nm - the G80 will most likely be a 32 pipe chip with improved effiency, improved IQ, GDDR4 support (but we will see SKUs using GDDR3) and a DX10 feature set on a 80nm process.

Looking at clockspeed I think NVIDIA will reach a bit higher clocks at 90nm than Ati, 700-750MHhz for the top-SKU. Memory will most will be GDDR3 - most likely 1.1ns at 850-900Mhz.

19. satein

Regular

I agree which what you're thinking... the G71 might be ment to be a stop-gap between G70 and G80, as it might be somewhat late. I am also thinking is it worth to refresh such a high-end part so frequently like this, since it means more cost will end up driving into consumer side (I mean by higher price of the card to compensate this short product cycle).

20. N00b

Regular

G71 is nVidia's last chance to try out something new before their G80 DX10 part. So, while I don't think they will see any substantial changes like a newly designed quad, we might some small changes and optimizations. Many of them might even go unnoticed. G71 has been around for too long not to incoperate some changes. You guys have to remember that Vista has been pushed back and DX10 with it. So R580/G71 might have a longer life than previously expected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.