Nvidia G71 - rumours, questions and whatnot

Discussion in 'Pre-release GPU Speculation' started by ToxicTaZ, Dec 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobthebub

Newcomer

I am glad to say I don't know of any such sites, but Microsoft seem to call it "Dice"

http://screenshots.teamxbox.com/screen/41164/xbox-360/

2. KimB

Legend

Ah, yes, looks like "dice" appears to be the more standard terminology:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_cutting

...perhaps related to the nomenclature of "dicing" the wafer into individual dice.

3. N00b

Regular

Intel seems to prefer dies.

4. overclocked

Veteran

Isnt this just something that seems to come upp very often and more so now with confusion and perhaps missunderstanding of why cpu´s go dual etz. Began with "Rampage" was it?

Anyway with the redundancy in dies to fill whole segments from superhigh to lowend that we seen now i think this is just going to countinue with the unification in D3D10 even if not both hardware vendor should have it from the getgo in hardware so to say.

But two chipsboards rather then SLI ofcourse if they can keep it cool and singleslot FMPOV. Theres also this about the framebuffer and if it is possible to share it.
    Many boardmembers Chalnot for ex gave good thoughts on why its so hard but im sure thats rather deserves a thread on its own.

5. Neeyik

Neeyik Homo ergaster
    Veteran

You could try asking this lot:

http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq/owls/?view=uk

6. 3dcgi

Veteran Subscriber

I don't know what you consider good performance and battery life, but have you seen ...
    Fujitsu P1510D

Convertible form factor, barely over two pounds, about 3 hours battery life with regular battery (double with extended battery). It's still under 3 pounds with the extended battery.

7. bobthebub

Newcomer

I know this is way off topic and stupidly pedantic, but hey good while to go yet before we see G71

Found an Intel article where they use dies and dice in the same paragragh

and Answers.com gives us

8. Shadowmage

Newcomer

7800GTX Go in mobile laptop:
    http://www.laptoplogic.com/resources/detail.php?id=31&PHPSESSID=d8cba873cbf9866cd85af18b1b357f08

However, once ATI actually gets their M58 and M59 out the door, they should have NVIDIA beat pretty bad. The reason is very obvious: ATI's high end parts all have TDPs that can not exceed 35W, while NVIDIA's max TDP is ~67W. Even if M58/M59 does not beat G70M/G71M, ATI still gets my vote due to the resulting efficiency.

7800 non-GTX Go is ~35W TDP, so it's a much more reasonable choice (until M58 comes out) than 7800GTX Go.

9. _xxx_

Banned

10. EX||illuminati

Newcomer

Another rumor from the inquirer about the G71 http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29516 . Seems wierd if the G71 really has 8 quads that it needs to be clocked to over 700 mhz to be faster then the X1900. I guess one question is faster in what.

11. Sunrise

Regular

Damn, i love this guy. *sarcasm off*

As to be expected, Fuad changed his original story from "tape-out in January, launch late February, early March" to "tape-out in January, middle March press launch and introduction in April at the earliest", which is exactly what i was hinting at, some pages back. Problem still is, original tape-out was NOT in January (rather the respin, since they´re shooting for very high clocks, which is critical)...but he actually has a 3rd time (all good things are three, as we say in Germany) to correct that, too. :)

#1071 Sunrise, Feb 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2006
  12. Mintmaster

Veteran

My guess is you answered your own question. G71 will only have 6 shader quads. NVidia is looking to own the $250-$400 market with 7900GT/GS versions, and make a very healthy profit doing so.

13. KimB

Legend

Well, one thing to bear in mind:
    nVidia once said that the worst thing that ATI could do is attempt to beat their current products.

So who says that, now that nVidia's releasing after ATI, that nVidia is planning on just barely beating ATI's current high-end product?

I mean, if we assume that it's possible for nVidia to produce a reasonably cost-effective 700MHz 32-pipeline G71, then the only reason why nVidia might not want to do it would be for competition with a future next-gen nVidia product, not because it's more than what's needed to outperform ATI. After all, if nVidia could put out a product that would utterly trounce ATI in performance, why would that seem unappealing?

14. _xxx_

Banned

:lol: , another respin!

That brings us back to the question: what's the high-end then? Mid-year G80 would leave a gap of 3-4 months for ATI to sell lots of cards, I don't believe they'll follow this strategy for a second. Their primary goal always was to very aggresively crush the competition where- and whenever they can.

15. Arty

Arty KEPLER
    Veteran

How so? :???: (No information on GT variants or the long-missing 7600 series)

16. RobertR1

RobertR1 Pro
    Legend

While the comparisons are made between the 7800GTX 512 and the x1900xt/x, it'd be better to see the difference between a x1900xt/x and a 7800GTX 256 to see how much of a performance jump nvidia would need to re-take the lead with that product that is widely available.

17. caboosemoose

Regular

Do we really still think that G80 is going to appear mid-year? It seems too soon to me.

18. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

You and me both, brother! But so far as I can tell we're kinda lonely on the matter at the moment.

19. Anteru

Newcomer

I also think the G80 is close - after all, G70 and G71 are just refreshes of the NV40 architecture, so nVidia had really enough time to preprare the G80.

G80 is coming ... :)

20. N00b

Regular

Nonsense. G71 will only be faster than 7800 GTX 512, so the 512 is very, very relevant in comparisons. BTW 7800 GTX 512 availability seems to get better here in germany. Several shops seem to have some in stock now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.