Nvidia G71 - rumours, questions and whatnot

Discussion in 'Pre-release GPU Speculation' started by ToxicTaZ, Dec 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sxotty

Veteran

You know, maybe we will all be surprised and the 90nm g71 will actually be a HUGE change. It is supposed to be in the PS3 and they now know what xenos looks like, perhaps that pressure will entice them to try and get the g80 out or something, or perhaps the g71 will be released and at the same time the g80 where the g71 will only be a process shrink and have nothing special except to act as a high mid range part.

2. Jawed

Legend

Not very different from my pov. It'll only look like a high mid-range part once G80 comes out, 2 or 3 months later, is the way I see it.

Jawed

3. ERK

ERK
    Regular

Back to AA..

I wonder if it's not so much that ATI has gained in AA over nvidia, as that they have fallen behind with no-AA. For instance, the double-Z capability for ATI only while doing AA.

I guess one way to check this may be to compare falloff between 2X and 4X--too lazy to do this myself just now.

4. pharma

Veteran Regular

New Nvidia Dell driver 83.60 reveals abit more on upcoming G71 cards:

• NVIDIA_G71.DEV_0298.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS"
    • NVIDIA_G71.DEV_0298.2 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS "
    • NVIDIA_G71.DEV_0299.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GTX"
    • NVIDIA_G71.DEV_0299.2 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GTX "
    http://www.3dchipset.com/drivers/nvidia/beta/nt5/8360.php

5. Moloch

Moloch God of Wicked Games
    Veteran

Well ati has been improving AA and nvidia has just been making the general speed of the card faster.
    Frankly I'm annoyed that nvidia still can't use higher than 4x MSAA when ati has been able since the 9700 but I guess since they suck at 4x fsaa why remove the 4x fsaa limitation.

6. Ailuros

Ailuros Epsilon plus three
    Legend Subscriber

I asked about a USC purely theoretically on purpose. What do the ALUs on Xenos exactly look like?

Correct me if I'm wrong but it's 4 MADDs per ALU on Xenos without the ADD capabilities of the mini-ALU on the PC GPUs?

7. Ailuros

Ailuros Epsilon plus three
    Legend Subscriber

If you mean by multi-core two identical cores on one board instead of two GPUs in SLi, then it is more expensive to manufacture.

8. aaronspink

Veteran

Because it isn't QDR memory.

The memory arrays of a DDR-400 part run at the same speeds as a DDR2-800 part and will run at the same speed as a mythical DDR3-1600 part (all at 200 Mhz FWIW). The burst is part of the fundamental design. For an 8b DRAM interface, a DDR part will have effectively a 16b internal DRAM array, a DDR2 part will have a 32b internal DRAM array, and a DDR3 part will have a 64b internal DRAM array.

Aaron Spink
    speaking for myself inc.

9. Jawed

Legend

Yeah there's no mini-ALU and there's an additional scalar SFU for normal stuff or RCP/RSQ etc.

There is also an operand count restriction - I'm a bit fuzzy (can't find it at the moment), something like SFU is constrained to use one of the three operands being used in the same cycle, if the other instruction has 3 operands.

That "_prev" operator appears to be a way to get round the 3 operands restriction, though. Been wondering what that was for, makes sense now (you read the mul and adds_prev as being co-issued).

I'm not clear if a vec3+scalar+SFU is possible. I suspect so. Or what other combinations there are.

Overall, it seems there's a fair bit less flexibility. Out of my depth though. Maybe it's better tuned for the future?...

Jawed

10. _xxx_

Banned

No, I'm talking about 2 dice in one package compaed to multi chip/card. Also including the SW development and all.

11. Sxotty

Veteran

Yeah so what is the plural of die? When it relates to processors? Is it dice, like paying die, or is it dies? I don't actually know.

12. arjan de lumens

Veteran

The form I see most commonly is 'dice', although I have seen 'dies' as well. Surprisingly, neither dictionary.com nor m-w.com actually provides an answer to this one - the noun 'die' has several different meanings, some with the plural form 'dice' and others with 'dies', but neither of them actually lists up the meaning related to semiconductor production.

13. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

I think I'd go for "dies" as this is what's used in casting and other foundry type stuff. "Dice" referrs to a "pair of dice".

14. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

lol, I didn't know die and dice were the same word, I only knew about die for processors and dice for X=1+INT(6*RND(1)) :)

15. Sxotty

Veteran

Yes well ain't the english language lovely (and yes ain't is not really a word exactly either :) )

I too was under the impression that dies was the correct plural, but not really sure, plus it might have a negative connotation :D

16. caboosemoose

Regular

Yup, there's an 80nm R580 on the way. Probably a relatviely modest core clockspeed bump with a bit of additional memory bandwidth. To be called X1950 I would imagine.

#1036 caboosemoose, Feb 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2006
  17. caboosemoose

Regular

Ghad, geforce go 7900 gtx. Inevitable, of course, but I was only just getting used to how crazy fast the 7800 gtx is in a notebook. You can argue black and blue about the strengths and weaknesses of the current high desktop parts, but by God NVIDIA have produced the goods for mobile. When you consider that the 7800 512 is borderline non-existent, NV's high end mobile chip delivers pretty much the same performance as its best desktop chip. By the time ATI get r580 mobility out the door - I imagine with pretty crappy clockspeeds - Go 7900 GTX will probably already be humming away inside the latest XPS notebook. ATI used to own the mobile space. They've really screwed up there.

#1037 caboosemoose, Feb 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2006
  18. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

Thats the DTR space not the mobile space.

19. caboosemoose

Regular

wha?

20. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

desktop replacement. Those notebooks are about as mobile as a shuttle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.