Nvidia G71 - rumours, questions and whatnot

Discussion in 'Pre-release GPU Speculation' started by ToxicTaZ, Dec 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ninelven

Veteran

Is this really called for?

2. karlotta

karlotta pifft
    Veteran

so "good yields" @ 550? then there will be 550 cards for sale. Or is this "good yields" @ 550 so there will be a few "ultra" cards from one or two vendors every couple of weeks? OR, u are saying the 550s are on the way for the gtx512, soon to be next month? I do find some 490s around, most are 430s. opps 475, tho there a few 550 gtxs in .se

#442 karlotta, Dec 29, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2005
  3. aaronspink

Veteran

yes, actually, your claiming that a part that volume ships at 430 is getting good yields at 550 but nvidia just couldn't be bothered to ship at 550. If Nvidia actually was getting good yields at 550, they would have shipped at 550. Instead they have only managed to get a couple thousand parts out at 550 with a significantly boosted core voltage into the very edge of the process qualification margin. The actual amount of memory used with these cards is miniscule, and Samsung can certainly supply that amount of memory and significantly more.

Aaron Spink
    speaking for myself inc.

4. ninelven

Veteran

proof? And no, I don't mean now, I mean in the time period in which these products would have been produced.

5. ANova

Veteran

You have provided none as of yet to support your claims.

6. ninelven

Veteran

That was exactly my point. If you hate something don't you do it too, don't you?

-I don't ask for proof unless its asked of me...

Anyway, they say hindsight is 20/20, so barring any new credible developments I'll wait some time before revisiting this topic.

#446 ninelven, Dec 29, 2005
  7. Razor1

Veteran

Low k does give 30% on average.

http://www.intel.com/technology/itj/2002/volume06issue02/art01_130nmlogic/vol6iss2_art01.pdf

30% less resistance, since resistance is directly propotional to Mhz, you can up the clocks 30%

edit wrong link

this one is better

http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/rd/462/shahidi.txt

450mhz for .22
    550mhz for .22 with lowk

22% increase

With drop in micon and a 30% increase in transistors

49% increase in clocks

#447 Razor1, Dec 29, 2005
  8. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

I don't need logic, just like you I heard it from some guy that knows some other guy that once cleaned the floors at nvidia. You will understand if I can't reveal his secret identity.

I used to wander by that forum occassionally a few years ago (I don't recall if I ever registered or posted), however the shear quantity of nvidia roxxors ati suxxors and the incredibly biased moderators led me to clean that site from my bookmarks. It certainly wouldn't be me if it was anything in the last couple of years.

9. ninelven

Veteran

This a hypocritical stance, but what do I care.

A bit more direct than that, but again it doesn't matter.

Ok, there is a user on that forum by a similar name... wanted to make sure that wasn't you.

10. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

Nothing hypocritical about it, its called sarcasm. You don't need proof or evidence to support your claims neither does anyone else weeeee lets all make stuff up and pretend its the truth.

11. dizietsma

Banned

Komplett have 150+ 512Mb GTX's coming in for early Feb it seems, so it looks like another batch will be ready for then, whether it be due to core or memory supply being finally resolved, and so this cannot be described as a one off product. Whether it is good value or not then is another matter.

As most reviewers on the original 7800 GTX got 490-520Mhz range I would say that the absolute yield for a volt bumped 7800 at 550 is also pretty good, but then nvidia ( and Ati for that matter ) will always factor in a safety margin for less than ideal conditions out there in the big wide world ( SLI in a non air condition flats near the equator using $10 700w PSU's being a worst case scenario ) .

Some of the AIB manufacturers are less circumspect of course and they are putting out 7800's nearer to 500, with default voltage, to get that marketing advantage.

Note also that Samsung is over volting it's really high speed GDDR3 as well, the lower speed chips use 1.8v whilst the fastest uses 2v+ . This seems to indicate that yields there might be an issue, but you would still assume many thousands can be chunked out at this level and not just hundreds

In summary I just do not think there is enough information at present to be able to accurately guess the clockspeed of the G71, even if it had the same 110nm process and number of pixel pipelines / ROPs etc, when you throw in the move to 90nm and the changing spec it makes a speed guess very tricky.

Trust me though, it's 650Mhz :D

12. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

They have been saying that for two months now.. so 3 months after the product first went to market, a second batch would appear

The problem is, February seems a little bit to late for me, when the GTX512 will finally be on the shelves AND priced at $649, how hard would it be to resist the 1900XT lying next to it for, say $599?

the 512 was one squirt in a peeing contest.

Besides, if the memory of the GTX512 was the problem of it's shortage, how long would we have to wait for mass distribution of the G71 then?

13. satein

Regular

There would be another option that NV may stockpile the memory for G71 too :cool:. As if they want the part to be available at lunch date, NV need any measure to make sure of it then. GTX512 would be something like a thing that make people stop and wait not really go immedietly to X1800XT (and it works its spell really well), and then by that Fab time frame they may offer G71 instead of GTX512.
    Edit: In addition point, if the G71 is also pin2pin compatible with G70... that means it can be fixed on GTX512 board and any AIB would produce it easily with previous process setup for G70 too.

#453 satein, Dec 29, 2005
  14. Megadrive1988

Veteran

not wanting to read through the entire thread, how many ROPs are rumored to be in G71 ?

15. Razor1

Veteran

This is exactly what I'm thinkin

16. KimB

Legend

I think we should all be expecting 16 again. Not really much reason to have more with a 256-bit memory interface.

17. walterman

Newcomer

Well, help me then to understand the big picture.

18. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

We know that, do we?

With GTX512 being a spectacular exception (and most likely planned as a short-term stop-gap), Jen-Hsun has been very vocal (that's not even strong enuf --more like "written on my soul in letters of fire" :lol: ) that the lesson NV learned from NV30 is that relying on clocks rather than transistors sucks. He's even pointed at that multiple times as a major factor in the NV renaissance over the last 18 months and philosophical difference with ATI.

That needs to be taken into consideration here, tho I don't have a clue how it will manifest itself in G71 --tho I tend to think they won't push the clocks as hard as ATI, unless G71 is another "short-termer". And maybe it is, if it comes out in March and NV50 comes out in June, which would be one way to read the timeframes that NV has pointed at (but not the only way).

#458 Geo, Dec 29, 2005
  19. fbomber

Newcomer

I´ve seen some people here saying that the r580 will be "too much for the g71 to handle".
    What if NVIDIA adds one texture unit per pipeline, leaving the two full alus free for pixel shader processing, instead of one having to deal with texture operations?

Just my thoughts, and I want to know from you if this would be any good, and if so, what kind of performance gains would be expected, compared to the g70.

20. Razor1

Veteran

Well the problem with that is nV will have to redo thier drivers a bit, ATi got around that by introducing a mid range x1600, so ATi tuned thier drivers already :wink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.