NVIDIA Fermi GPU and Architecture Analysis

Discussion in 'Beyond3D Articles' started by AlexV, Oct 23, 2010.

1. mczak

Veteran

Yes, that's what I meant...

Ah ok. I could understand easily why it wouldn't be able to do 2 dot2 per test (serial dependent ones would be enough to prevent this), I just failed to see why it didn't even manage the same rate as dot4 under similar circumstances.

I also find it quite funny with all the emphasis nvidia put on gpgpu that the GTX470 gets a very serious beating at DP issue rate (scalar or not...), even though it's artificially limited. The numbers there though also look a bit strange, more driver wonkiness for the HD5870? The DP MAD rate is only half that of DP MUL - I thought it should be 2/3, though that could also be due to dependencies I guess. In fact in one case (cs vec4) it's only 1/3 which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

#21 mczak, Oct 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2010
  2. AlexV

AlexV Heteroscedasticitate
    Moderator Veteran

Another problem with DOT2 is that their compiler doesn't generate the dedicated instruction for it, which further impacts performance.

As for the Vec4 MAD, I mention the cause of the anomaly in text: fxc doesn't generate MADs when using DP operands, but rather MUL+ADD, and neither compiler collapses this into a MAD/FMA as far as I can see(the assumption probably being that if you're using DP you know what you're doing and actually want MUL+ADD). So you get half rate for MADs by virtue of there being twice as many instructions versus MUL, in spite of both Cypress and Fermi supporting DP FMA.

3. mczak

Veteran

Oh, not at all? That indeed sounds like the compiler could need some optimization.
    Yes, but it should still be faster on HD5870: A Vec4 DP MUL requires 4 clocks, but the Vec4 DP ADD part should only require 2, which would give the 2/3 of MUL rate I mentioned - instead it's 1/2 and in one case only 1/3 for some reason. Guess that shows it's not exactly easy to get max throughput out of that part...
    You should always be able to fuse MUL/ADD into MAD if your hw can do it, but Cypress only offers DP FMA (not sure about fermi) as far as I can tell and as you said it makes sense this isn't fused automatically as the results would be different.

4. AlexV

Moderator Veteran

They're both the same for DP(only FMA), as far as I know.

5. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Magic, of course. Unfortunately there aren't any tests for that just yet :)

6. RecessionCone

Regular Subscriber

I'm leaning towards the idea that this particular test suite just isn't very useful - it seems to be probing architectural parameters that aren't the real bottlenecks.

7. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

Maybe the bottlenecks in Cypress are not hardware, but software.

Anyway, that was a very good article. I can't say that I understood everything, but I certainly enjoyed it.

8. AlexV

Moderator Veteran

A partial answer to that particular question (Crysis FPS tells me a different story, what's up?) is in the works (it'll be out this year, really!). But we need to remember that for a single rendered frame in a game a lot of things happen, concurrently, and drivers play a huge part, especially as you start dealing with things like awful API call sequences.

9. upnorthsox

Veteran

Not to call you out on this, but the thread below this one Q4 2006 GPU Market Analysis, and the 2nd below that is R580: ATI Radeon X1950 XTX Review. Excuse us if we're skeptical. :razz:

10. I.S.T.

Veteran

The funny part is, the X1950 XTX review is still missing after all this time, and at least two promises to fix it!

11. Bob

Bob
    Regular Subscriber

Slimer? Really?

12. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Somebody really needs to let us in on the joke :)

13. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

I have just started reading but I notice that the table for GTX 470 on page 3 does not contain a number for the bandwidth.

14. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

Well, the first sentence on page 5 refers to Fermi as a "fat green blob" so I think that is the joke.

15. AlexV

Moderator Veteran

No it's not that, the fat green blob came much much later. The Mem BW thing will be fixed, it's a CMS bug.

Bob: it's said lovingly:razz:

16. Pantagruel's Friend

Newcomer

Ummm, looks like I'm a bit late to the party - to be honest, somewhere in September I lost faith that this article will ever manifest itself. :oops:

Seriously, though, the end product was well worth the wait - many thanks for this enlightening romp through Fermi's intricacies, some of them were rather unexpected. I'm quite seriously baffled by the triangle setup rate - I was under the impression that it was a key contributor to the GTX480's advantage over the 5870.