Nvidia DLSS 1 and 2 antialiasing discussion *spawn*

Agree, that would be much more intresting. Anyway, somehow the above antialiasing discussion reminds of me of Quincunx. I think it was possible to apply it to just about any game. It would make the image look softer, but much better overall (removed aliasing quite abit), at virtually no performance cost using a Ti4200.
ugh no, Quincunx was horrible.

Agree, that would be much more intresting. Anyway, somehow the above antialiasing discussion reminds of me of Quincunx. I think it was possible to apply it to just about any game. It would make the image look softer, but much better overall (removed aliasing quite abit), at virtually no performance cost using a Ti4200.
Well, it was a 2xMSAA with bit wider resolve filter. (Using 5-taps, thus the name.)
So if MSAA works, quincunx should.

DLSS is now available for every UE4 dev, no registration or approval needed!

A big step in the right direction.

I wanted to use it with the MetaHumans project, but sadly it crashes when I want to enable DLSS in the viewport options or by starting the camera sequence. Does not happen when I create my own project, there it works nicely. When it crashes, it gives an EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x0000000000000000 error. Does anyone have an idea how to solve it?

I wanted to use it with the MetaHumans project, but sadly it crashes when I want to enable DLSS in the viewport options or by starting the camera sequence. Does not happen when I create my own project, there it works nicely. When it crashes, it gives an EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x0000000000000000 error. Does anyone have an idea how to solve it?
Just tested with the NVRTX Github build released today and DLSS works fine with Metahumans sample project.

DLSS is now available for every UE4 dev, no registration or approval needed!

A big step in the right direction.

If the CDPR leak is true, it's not as if Nvidia has a choice anymore. Well, not one that would be well received, anyways.

ugh no, Quincunx was horrible.
I think it often looked nicer than old school post-process like FXAA, MLAA and SMAA 1X. Some interesting examples of both scenarios on PS3. OG Xbox used it too actually. Of course 4X MSAA with transparency AA would have been preferable back then but that was really too much for the machines.

Last edited:
If the CDPR leak is true, it's not as if Nvidia has a choice anymore. Well, not one that would be well received, anyways.

What's the link between RED engine leaks and UE4 ? Or you mean, since the dlss code use in red engine is in the wild, there is no point for nvidia to not making it available "simply" for other engines ?

What's the link between RED engine leaks and UE4 ? Or you mean, since the dlss code use in red engine is in the wild, there is no point for nvidia to not making it available "simply" for other engines ?

There isn't dlss2.0 code in traditional sense. It's a neural network. If someone would want to steal it one would basically take the neural net from dlss2.0, reverse engineer it to understand layers and weights it uses. Then do something with reverse engineered result. Neural network has to already be part of driver/geforce experience/game installation. Game engine source wouldn't contain any more secrets than shipping game. It's probably a encrypted binary blob for the neural network part.

Actual dlss2.0 api is not a secret. It was detailed in high level in nvidia gdc talk and of course present in unreal4.26 plugin as source. Third part of dlss2.0 is the network training part. Training part would only be present in some nvidia supercomputer doing the training.

upload_2021-2-12_5-20-41.png

I agree with what you're saying. That's why I don't get the link between the leak/steal and DLSS that Glow is making.

I agree with what you're saying. That's why I don't get the link between the leak/steal and DLSS that Glow is making.

I don't think there is any link. Simplest explanation is that it wasn't trivial to make the plugin and it took nvidia time to do it in a way that epic approves. Probably epic also needed to do changes to engine to allow the plugin to work. dlss2.0 requires certain structures from game engine and epic probably implemented those in a better way than what nvidia fork potentially did(maintainability). i.e. normal open source development. One forks, does the thing and then struggles to contribute changes back and eventually manages it. Probably also took a while to stabilize the API to keep things nice and tidy. Previously it seems the dlss2.0 integration still required game specific help from nvidia which doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

The link is same kind of thing as flat earth, lizard people etc. Paranoid people being paranoid. Occams Razor says it's in nvidia's benefit to make the plugin and release it. It will maximize dlss2.0 enabled content. Nvidia doesn't benefit by not creating the plugin. Especially so as the plugin and cdpr2077 code leak don't leak any secrets. The magic sauce is still safe and waiting for someone to reverse engineer it. One of the big complaints against dlss2.0 is the lack of content using it, plugin can fix this.

Reactions: HLJ
First party product: Quake 2 RTX. What was the excuse?

Lightyear of difference between "source available" (not open source or Open Source) after registration, and something being openly available as a plugin on a market.

First party product: Quake 2 RTX. What was the excuse?

Lightyear of difference between "source available" (not open source or Open Source) after registration, and something being openly available as a plugin on a market.

Q2 rtx source is here: https://github.com/NVIDIA/Q2RTX
dlss2.0 neural network is proprietary, the plugin only has integration of the proprietary neural net into unreal4.26. i.e. plugin leaks no secrets and has no relation to cdpr2077 leak. Nvidia didn't have to release squat because of cp2077 source leaking. These 2 things are independent of each other.

And DLSS for Q2RTX is...? Remember, first party game.

Why would nvidia release dlss source(training and unencrypted documented network)? There is no incentive to do that nor did these things leak. It's same as asking microsoft to open source windows or apple ios. On the other hand there is all incentive in the world to release plugin allowing anyone to use proprietary dlss2.0 implementation in unreal4.26.

btw. q2 rtx doesn't have dlss support.

Back