Nvidia DLSS antialiasing discussion *spawn*

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by DavidGraham, Sep 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. A1xLLcqAgt0qc2RyMz0y

Regular

Malo and pharma like this.
  2. manux

Veteran Regular

This is kind of crazy good if it really works

OCASM, jlippo, pharma and 1 other person like this.
  3. pharma

Veteran Regular

KeokeN on NVIDIA DLSS Advantages over TAA; Console Port of Deliver Us The Moon - Fortuna

https://wccftech.com/keoken-nvidia-dlss-advantages-over-taa/

iroboto likes this.
  4. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

So conservatively speaking here, the number to reach with RTX ON, is to get the game running very well at 1440p.
    Very good, there will be a paradigm shift in thinking once we see a title have both RTX and DLSS running together and pushing an RTX title to 4K.

pharma likes this.
  5. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

From what I understand you need to built it into the pipeline like other reconstruction techniques.

6. pharma

Veteran Regular

Lightman and Babel-17 like this.
  7. Babel-17

Veteran Regular

http://benchmark.finalfantasyxv.com/na/

Edit: You have to go into "Custom" to enable DLSS, and that automatically disables regular AA.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

#147 Babel-17, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    pharma likes this.
  8. Babel-17

Veteran Regular

I got a score of 4972 ("Fairly High") with those settings on my RTX 2080, using the "Curve" oveclock, plus 700 MHz on the memory. The benchmark crashed a few times before that, maybe because of the more aggressive overclock I use in every other game, or maybe because of Afterburner's overlay. So I disabled the overlay, and went back to the original overclock nVidia allows you to discover (Its curve) using its utility.
    i7 6700, non-k.

Demo looks nice enough, though it seemed pretty casual. The antialiasing was top notch, though I noticed a brief amount around the rear window of the car in the very beginning of the video. I've seen worse in my games at 4K, and with other other forms of AA on top of that, so good job here, imo. I was frequently hovering below 50 fps but the motion looked very smooth. Though there was some hitching, very briefly, here and there.

I installed the game to a SSD (480 GB Mushkin Striker) that isn't the one my OS is on, fwiw. Even so, I think there was a bit of pop-in, here and there, though it wasn't distracting.

We can debate the budgeting of transistors towards use as tensor cores, but seeing as they're there, I judge the use of them as a positive, and not a negative, or "a push"/being of no benefit.

I guess I should compare by looking at the game using TAA and 3200 x 1800, but I'm already pleased by the lack of aliasing that I've seen.

Edit: I got a score of 6178 at 2560 x 1440 using TAA, 3200 x 1800 wasn't available, though I do have that custom resolution enabled, and I even tested it just now in Windows. I ran the demo twice with Afterburner's Rivatuner overlay enabled and it didn't crash, so maybe it was my overclock, or DLSS still having a bug or two, that caused it previously. The pop-in was mostly shadows, what there was of it, btw.

Hard to compare the IQ when 2560 x 1440 gives a better framerate, but I'm guessing that even against 3200 x 1800 using TAA, DLSS will get the win. It's sharp, and has good clarity and saturation.

I just noticed the "Assets" setting. I didn't click that on while setting everything else to the highest setting.

OK, so I tested again with that on, and got 6106 at 2560 x 1440, and TAA.

#148 Babel-17, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2018
    Lightman, Malo and pharma like this.
  9. DavidGraham

Veteran

Battlefield V and Anthem to officially receive DLSS support, more DXR optimizations are coming for BFV too.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/geforce-rtx-anthem-battlefield-v-bundle/

#149 DavidGraham, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    OCASM and pharma like this.
  10. eloyc

Veteran Regular

11. DavidGraham

Veteran

Atomic Hearts will implement DLSS along side RT, DLSS requires the generation of motion vector in the game engine and some buffers as well.

https://wccftech.com/atomic-heart-qa-nvidia-rtx-dlss-pvp/

pharma, Babel-17 and OCASM like this.
  12. pharma

Veteran Regular

DLSS now been added to Port Royal with performance improvement.
    February 4, 2019

13. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

And is largely irrelevant for games. It's the best-case scenario for the technology. Especially in the canned benchmark, how is it useful to anyone? Benchmarking DLSS performance differences between RTX models?

Edit: Don't really mean to come across so negative. I'm not against the tech and in some cases like this it's an improvement both in visual quality and performance. There's just not enough useful working examples to really call it a great feature.

#153 Malo, Feb 4, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    w0lfram and Ike Turner like this.
  14. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Only thing this really shows is how bad Port Royal's TAA-solution is, I mean did even quincunx blur that much?
    I just thought they decided to go for blurrier look for some artistic reason but apparently not

pharma likes this.
  15. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

Yeah their TAA is quite bad but I'm not sure anything could be as terrible as Quincunx lol. TAA is just bad anyway, it's never an option I choose to go with unless it's the only other option than noAA or FXAA. Unfortunately more and more titles nowadays are implementing very limited AA solutions and going with post-AA only.

I said when DLSS was announced that TAA isn't exactly a good starting point to base it on but if it works out well then it's certainly better than just TAA option.

Are we really that removed from multi-sampling solutions worked into the engine rendering pipeline and having great options like TXAA? Has the general move to only certain engines en masse meant we're no longer going to have such things on PC?

16. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Are people grouping reconstruction techniques under TAA these days, or are other reconstruction methods just not being considered in these DLAA comparisons?

17. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

Personally I think the latter.

Have we had any good upsampling temporal reconstruction AA implementations on the PC yet? PC games don't usually render at a lower resolution and upsample. Maybe Forza Horizons?

18. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

I don't know how good or bad it qualifies but Quantum Break defaults to upsampling temporal reconstruction on PC too

19. troyan

Newcomer

Neither Quantum Break nor Rainbow Six comes close to DLSS in Final Fantasy.

pharma and DavidGraham like this.
  20. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Possibly not, but I wouldn't call effect breaking (DoF) DLSS implementation that great either