Nvidia DLSS antialiasing discussion *spawn*

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by DavidGraham, Sep 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

Hopefully people realize that they also have the option of lowering in-game details in order to achieve a fps boost. The additional upside of it would be that it works at every resolution, does not require tensor cores and can be fine-tuned to individual taste.

Maybe I should start to market "reduced details for more fps" as the marvelous RDFMF-technique. ;)

Kej, Lightman, CaptainGinger and 4 others like this.
  2. Silent_Buddha

Legend

NV already beat you to that with DLSS. :p

Regards,
    SB

3. DavidGraham

Veteran

Lowering in game details works differently to lowering pixel density. On the first one you are degrading the quality of pixel shading, you are losing shadows, lighting, draw distance, complexity of effects, geometry details .. etc. While the second one you are keeping all of that and just losing clarity or sharpness. That's a BIG difference.

It's the same thing as watching a movie @1080p, and then watching it @4K, in both instances all the details of the movie are kept intact, but sharpness and clarity is improved with the higher resolution.

A1xLLcqAgt0qc2RyMz0y and pharma like this.
  4. milk

Veteran Regular

If we could just find a reason to shoehorn neural networks in there we've got a winner in our hands.

5. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

Right, you're degrading the quality of the pixels in a very fine grained way and can choose what to degrade. And you're not being told you still play at maximum details while it isn't so. Whereas in a theater watching 4k movie that looks like a 1080p one, I'd want my money back.

6. pharma

Veteran Regular

True, and it seems like there have been some visual improvements in the DLSS technique. Link below has some comparison screenshots but the review is not complete.

https://www.dsogaming.com/articles/anthem-has-the-best-dlss-implementation-to-date-comparison-screenshots-benchmarks/#more-124126

7. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

DF on Anthem's application of DLSS. Very positive on the whole.

This is going to irk Iroboto though...!

pharma likes this.
  8. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Considering that NVIDIA has currently lined that DLSS will be available only to improve performance, I wouldn't hold my breath with DLSS 2X which will always hurt performance

Also, I disagree about Anthem, the sharpen-filter is absolutely horrible, small details are lost as usual and contrast differences are exaggarated like there's no tomorrow (might be just part of the horrible sharpen-filter though)
    https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/software/anthem_rtx_dlss_pc_performance_review/1

Someone with Anthem should do comparison with just lower rendering resolution scaled to native like with Battlefield etc (it's not available in menus but can be done by adding "GstRender.ResolutionScale x.xxxxxx" line to ini at Documents > BioWare > Anthem > Settings > ProfileOptions_profile, as with other frostbite titles, 80% resolution would be 0.800000 etc)

egoless, fellix and BRiT like this.
  9. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

oh god @Dictator what have you done!

j/k ;)
    Great article. No irking, certainly a more thorough examination of the technology than my quick eyeballing.
    I appreciate the detail. I also hope for DLSS 2X

pharma likes this.
  10. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

DLSS should have a very consistent frame time per resolution. 4K will take longer than 1440p etc. But it will be consistent at least.

11. gamervivek

Regular Newcomer

That texture detail loss at 6:35, yikes.:nope:

12. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

I'm confused. You've described DLSS as an AA technique already, that's also optionally used for upscaling, but doesn't need to upscale. Is the issue here just a lack of an option to use DLSS AA? 'DLSS 2X' I'd assume to be DLSS at 2x resolution then downsampled, because you can't sample anything else twice.

13. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

I was thinking Alex was calling DLSS 2X as being the same thing as DLSS running st native. I didn’t know that DLSS was always upscaling with every single option. I would like to see DLSS at native resolution.

BRiT likes this.
  14. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

Well if DLSS 2X means 'DLSS with no upscaling' then that is a thing, but it shouldn't be called DLSS 2X (back to the name calling again!). It's just DLSS sans upscale.

Are there any games that allow DLSS without the upscale? It likely can't be a driver level feature because the system needs to be trained on each game, so would only ever be an option in game settings.

BRiT likes this.
  15. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

No, it's not available anywhere. NVIDIA has stated that DLSS will only be available to improve performance, which means DLSS 2X won't be anywhere until they change their mind about improving performance.

BRiT likes this.
  16. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

"DLSS 2X" meaning "DLSSAA".

BRiT and iroboto like this.
  17. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

Lol. Yea. The most confusing naming we could ever adopt lol. It’s getting quite comical.

18. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Is DLSS2X just a shortcut of DLSSXX? Or was 2X supposed to be like "two times"?

19. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

AFAICS it's just a term Alex has adopted, where all AA methods have a 2X or somesuch. So DLSS applied without upscaling, he calls 'DLSS 2X'. Which makes sense if following conventions in PC settings, but makes no sense when talking about techniques and technologies where the 'nX' suffix is always a count of samples per pixel. Personally I think the whole thing should be call 'Deep Learning Anti Aliasing' and 'Deep Learning Upscaling' - clear and accurate what's going on.

Ryan Smith, BRiT, pharma and 2 others like this.
  20. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

DLSS 2X was referenced as an SSAA method in the DLSS white paper by Nvidia. It's an actual mode they have never talked about or demonstrated at all.