Nvidia DLSS 1 and 2 antialiasing discussion *spawn*

Is this the correct thread to discuss NIS?

Anyway, has anyone noticed that NIS doesn't work with HDR on pre-Turing GPU's? One more reason why I desperately need an upgrade (NIS is particularly important on ultra wides as most games down include lower than native 21:9 resolution options). At this stage I'm almost tempted to get a 3050 as a place holder for DLSS, NIS (I run everything in HDR) and RT, even though it would be no faster than my current 1070. Such is the value add of the RTX features.

Ive found that a lot of games provide the resolutions that are listed in the nv control panel change resolution page
maybe if you add a custom resolution it will show up in game ?

It's better to use CRU custom resolution. Making it work for anything.

Don't forget to enable gpu scaling. If you want to use different resolution aspect ratio than the panel aspect ratio.

For example using 21:9 resolution on 16:9 panel

I think he wants to use a 21:9 resolution on a 21:9 panel, just not the native resolution

Yep this. My monitor is 3840x1600 and previously I had 3440x1440, 2560x1080 and 1920x800 setup as custom resolutions which appeared in all games and worked fine. However you can only have this, OR DSR, you can't have both. But with NIS you can have both at the same time using NIS's own lower resolutions instead of my custom ones.

However since I've been using HDR more I've realised that 1. Custom resolutions deactivate HDR, and 2. NIS doesn't work at all. So both of my options for running at lower resolution are gone unless the game has it's own built in solution. I think the HDR is worth it in most cases but there are some games I simply can't play unless I turn it off first because I've got no options to scale below my native.

Turing or Ampere would solve all of this.

I think he wants to use a 21:9 resolution on a 21:9 panel, just not the native resolution

Yes, need to use CRU for keeping the proper compatibility with high refresh rate and hdr. At least that's for me.

As for DLSS, I never had any issue to begin with. Other than it makes reflections lower resolution.

DLSS is quite bad in motion in this game. I turned it off at 1440p, but it's still not good enough at 4k.

So far so good. But in Dying Light 2, DLSS struggles with the same weakness as in God of War : smearing. And the image smears properly in Dying Light 2, because there are some fine objects here. Horizontal movements are the final opponent of DLSS, then it smears properly even with DLSS on "Quality" in Ultra HD.[...]

AMD's FSR, unsurprisingly, can't keep up with DLSS in Dying Light 2, but it also has advantages. For example, there are no problems like smearing. In terms of image sharpness, FSR on "Quality" in 3,840 × 2,160 is quite comparable to DLSS on "Quality". Some elements are slightly sharper, while others are a little blurry.[...]

It is absolutely a pity and incomprehensible that the qualitatively best FSR level "Ultra Quality" is not available. Because with it, both image sharpness and image stability would be better, so that there would be the potential to come close to the image quality of DLSS on "Quality" with a higher number of render pixels.

https://www.computerbase.de/2022-02...die_bildqualitaet_von_amd_fsr_und_nvidia_dlss

Thankfully you can modify the game's config file to set a custom scale for FSR and even higher setting than UQ.

Sifu supports DLSS and it looked pretty good to me. Didn't notice any weird artifacting with the rain in the opening area. Didn't see any of the obvious problems that seem to come up with poor implementations.

Yah, DLSS looks broken, but there's a 1.04 patch and I'm not sure if it fixes any of it.

Moving slider over 50 does improve it quite a lot in the limited testing I did. It does result in more random flickering. I was seeing it on a whole building for some reason, but that's much more bearable.

It does result in more random flickering.
This can be fixed too - https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/...arisons-2021-spawn.62346/page-71#post-2240825

"The deep learning model used in DLSS is trained to produce sharp images, however NVIDIA also includes an additional optional sharpening/softening filter if so desired." - DLSS's programming guide.
It seems sharpening values below 50 do softening in the game (overbluring in motion), while values at 50 and above introduce sharpening (oversharpening in motion).
Neither is good with post processing that the game does, so disabling DLSS's sharpenning helps a lot here. Normal contrast adaptive sharpening then can be added via GFE's Freestyle or Reshade filters.

DLSS in Super People is another example that DLSS Quality can look as good or even better than native 4k:
Imgsli

Ingame Sharpening is set at 0 (standard is +2.0). FSR UQ is doing FSR things...
Still i'm shocked that nobody ever tried to combine a bilinear upscaling process with an overaggressive sharpening pass to promote this as an "advanced upscaling" method.

• For PC players with a compatible RTX card, support for Nvidia DLAA has been enabled. NVIDIA DLAA is an AI-based anti-aliasing mode for users who have spare GPU headroom and want the highest levels of image quality. See more on the NVIDIA site.
  • For PC players with a compatible RTX card, Nvidia DLSS support has been upgraded to version 2.3.0.
https://www.nomanssky.com/sentinel-update/

Back