Nvidia DLSS 1 and 2 antialiasing discussion *spawn*

You mock being confused and feign at how many people buy their dGPU for performance...? Fail to even understand that many e-sports streamers don't even use g-sync, because sustained frames are what they need and why they paid $1k+ for a dGPU...!

Only people playing single player, savable, self-paced games, who play with one hand ...while the other is fondling their themselves over ray-traced water puddles, that they stop to admire... because performance simple doesn't matter to them, or their playstyle. Again, you would have to unanimously agree that most people upgrading their dGPU is for faster frames and performance, not for ray tracing. It is a simple point, to make. (Don't forget to laugh in the mirror.)

Nah. What I was mocking is your myopic focus on e-sports and streaming, as if people who are into such things are the only or even the singularly most important target market for high end GPUs.

Personally, I could not care less about either e-sports or streaming. But I do realise that these are things that are interesting to many people.
And I think you would do well to be a little, or heck, make that a fucking metric shit-ton less dismissive about those who are in it for the joy of state of the art rendering and immersion.

Don't you have a 3090? In which case why would you need DLSS at all in this game since it should be capable of pushing max settings, 4k and 60fps even without it. If you wanted to enjoy it again with better graphics, DLSS seems a bit superfluous on your GPU.

I'm playing on a 240hz 1440p monitor so I'll take as many hz as I can take :p

Plus, DLSS Quality tends to provide better results than native + taa, and RDR2 TAA is pretty heavy on the smearing so I was hoping I can get better IQ + higher framerate.

Nah. What I was mocking is your myopic focus on e-sports and streaming, as if people who are into such things are the only or even the singularly most important target market for high end GPUs.

Personally, I could not care less about either e-sports or streaming. But I do realise that these are things that are interesting to many people.
And I think you would do well to be a little, or heck, make that a fucking metric shit-ton less dismissive about those who are in it for the joy of state of the art rendering and immersion.

I'm not sure why e-sports are relevant in a conversation about advanced rendering techniques. Isn't their whole thing to turn down details to get more frames? So by definition e-sports gamers are the least important demographic when it comes to the cutting edge of graphics rendering.

I'm not seeing anything close to those images. I took this with balanced DLSS with mostly max settings, only grass distance and water physics turned down, and tree tesellation disabled.

Yeah waiting for a proper review. The feedback is all over the place. Some people are saying it's way oversharpened and aliased and other people are saying it's an improvement over the blurry TAA.

Some people are saying it's way oversharpened and aliased and other people are saying it's an improvement over the blurry TAA.
The game has a separate sharpening option which can be tweaked for both TAA and DLSS I think - and this is the likely source of discrepancy here.
But tbh the results are still subpar even accounting for that since it seems like R* didn't do much to remedy the lack of TAA's accumulation - hence all the stippled alpha being visible with DLSS now. Texture LODs don't seem to be tweaked correctly with DLSS either.

Some people are saying it's way oversharpened and aliased and other people are saying it's an improvement over the blurry TAA.
It's oversharpened and this causes aliasing, but it still looks miles ahead of the blurry mess over all foliage in the native resolution with TAA imo - https://drive.google.com/drive/u/3/folders/1VRa-XTeqYljZFHPWD_6-tkNn3PxkQpz7 (1440p screens, TAA sharpening set on default value, Motion Blur is Off, recommend downloading the screens)
That oversharpenning ringing (which weirdly manifest itself only in motion) hurts though and there are dithering artifacts too. That's a very subpar implementation, but still compares favourably to the subpar TAA that losses tons of texture details in motion in native resolution in all scenes with foliage.

Last edited:

That is why I said: laugh in the mirror. <-----

Why do you think people buy better/faster Video cards, then...?
Again, you are PRETENDING (feigning ignorance) not to know why People upgrade their Video Cards and are saying because you do not understand e-sports... or why People would pay $1k+ for more performance in Warzone, Battlefield, or any game in which you play & COMPETE against another, where game performance matters.... and to pretend to not understand this, is laughable.

You assert, that the majority of People are upgrading their $1k+ dGPUs for features like RT..? Which is absurd and even down right laughable to suggest. They are buying them for more frames per second. DLSS is different and great tech and gives more performance, the opposite of RT.

Also, Nobody cares about "art rendering"... there are pro cards for that.

Secondly, I mention Streamers, because they are the ones who can easily justify the $2.8K for an RTX 3090 for gaming... many streamers had their Sponsors get them these unattainable high-end video cards. And performance is so key, that they many don't even use g-sync because response time is critical to the majority of Gamers. Again, if you like savable, beautiful, walk in the park games where frames don't matter and you are more into the self-jerking nature of ray tracing @ $1k+... then understand this about YOURSELF. But please do not feign ignorance of what the majority of people's "needs" are (ie performance). People's "Wants"... have to wait for a few more years, until there are powerful enough cards to push games at gaming speeds, using RT.

Ever hear of Dr Disrespect... 3.4 million subscribers in which he mocks Gamers while playing Competitive games. Amazing you never met an FPS player and don't understand what 120Hz, or a 144Hz, or a 165Hz monitors are used for...? Immersion..?

Can I laugh now...?

Last edited:
A thorough analysis of DLSS Quality in RDR2, much less blur than TAA, whether in motion or stills, but ghosting and slight shimmering is still an issue, it also has problems rendering hair, however DLSS renders foliage much better than TAA which just blobs them together, overall it's a trade off.

The problem is that RAGE engine used in the game already makes huge shortcuts to the rendering of transparencies, usually rendering them in a checkerboarded manner to boost performance, which makes life much more difficult for DLSS.

That is why I said: laugh in the mirror. <-----

Why do you think people buy better/faster Video cards, then...?
Again, you are PRETENDING (feigning ignorance) not to know why People upgrade their Video Cards and are saying because you do not understand e-sports... or why People would pay $1k+ for more performance in Warzone, Battlefield, or any game in which you play & COMPETE against another, where game performance matters.... and to pretend to not understand this, is laughable.

You assert, that the majority of People are upgrading their $1k+ dGPUs for features like RT..? Which is absurd and even down right laughable to suggest. They are buying them for more frames per second. DLSS is different and great tech and gives more performance, the opposite of RT.

Also, Nobody cares about "art rendering"... there are pro cards for that.

You seem to live in some sort of bubble where twitch shooters are the only type of games that register.
I get that the highest possible frame rate is very important to you. But when you assert that nobody else cares about anything but that you really ought to bring some data to back that up.

And what does any of this have to do with DLSS, a mechanism for improving image quality?
Just play at the lower native res and enjoy your frame rate boost.

You should probably stop doubling down on stupid. But as someone who seems to enjoy watching Dr Disrespect, you might have a hard time with that.

Nobody cares about "art rendering"...response time is critical to the majority of Gamers....can I laugh now...?

Lol, I certainly laughed. In what alternate universe is response time critical to the "majority" of gamers who don't care about IQ? Do you honestly think most gamers are twitchy 14 year olds with perfect eyesight? Sorry to break it to you but most gamers are chillaxing on the couch in their 20's and 30's.

A thorough analysis of DLSS Quality in RDR2, much less blur than TAA, whether in motion or stills, but ghosting and slight shimmering is still an issue, it also has problems rendering hair, however DLSS renders foliage much better than TAA which just blobs them together, overall it's a trade off.

The problem is that RAGE engine used in the game already makes huge shortcuts to the rendering of transparencies, usually rendering them in a checkerboarded manner to boost performance, which makes life much more difficult for DLSS.

That was a good video. I could see me playing at DLSSQ 4K based on that even if it does only net me 15-20% more performance.

Lol, I certainly laughed. In what alternate universe is response time critical to the "majority" of gamers who don't care about IQ? Do you honestly think most gamers are twitchy 14 year olds with perfect eyesight? Sorry to break it to you but most gamers are chillaxing on the couch in their 20's and 30's.
Most gamers are playing in 30 fps on consoles.

You seem to live in some sort of bubble where twitch shooters are the only type of games that register.
I get that the highest possible frame rate is very important to you. But when you assert that nobody else cares about anything but that you really ought to bring some data to back that up.

And what does any of this have to do with DLSS, a mechanism for improving image quality?
Just play at the lower native res and enjoy your frame rate boost.

You should probably stop doubling down on stupid. But as someone who seems to enjoy watching Dr Disrespect, you might have a hard time with that.

I live in no bubble...
These are your words regarding frames per second: "e-sports and streaming, as if people who are into such things are the only or even the singularly most important target market for high end GPUs..".

I was just illustrating how obtuse and silly and laughable your statement is. I only mentioned a well known streamer to illustrate and drive my previous point home, that Game Performance is the driving force for a faster/better dGPUs, not in-game features like RT. Not sure why you are unable to even understand this. Otherwise, these Content Creators (with millions of fans) would turn RT on while streaming, since they have the very best, of the best hardware, but none of them turn RT on.
(We both know that IQ doesn't matter for mining and hashtag surfing.)

It was a simple point. And we agree that more people will use DLSS, unlike RT, because DLSS increases Performance.

Again, we are talking about PC Gamers. Not kiddies...

Most PC gamers, have computer chairs and desks... headphones and keyboard. High End Gamers buying up the new dGPU are not 14 years of age, but adults who can afford to have a full-on gaming PC/room. Coincidentally, I bought consoles for my grandchildren, and when they are over they are not even allowed into my Gaming rooms. My Sons rig costs more than mine... and has better vision than me, that is why he is probably content with his ultra-wide 1440p and why I am am unhappy about 38" and 42" Gaming Monitors, than don't have HDMI 2.1 and being unavailable.

Because even a RTX 3090 can't push those resolutions at sustained speeds. That is why DLSS was invented...

Back