nVidia disables PhysX on systems with other manufacturers graphics

Discussion in 'GPGPU Technology & Programming' started by Kaotik, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Jawed

Legend

If anyone wanted proof that PhysX is proprietary, then this is it.

Jawed

2. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

3. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Again, that completely depends on whether the application is doing anything with the object after it's been touched by PhysX. It's very possible that data stays on the board and doesn't move back to the CPU every frame when doing effects physics.

4. FUDie

Regular

That doesn't make sense. Why have PhysX process data if you're not going to use it? You still need to pass that data into Direct3D or OpenGL, somehow, after PhysX has worked on it.

-FUDie

5. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

I never said it wasn't used. I'm saying the CPU doesn't necessarily have to touch it for it to be transferred from PhysX card to GPU. Or let me put it this way, when the same card is doing PhysX is everything sent to the card, back to the CPU, through DirectX and back down to the card? You don't think there will be opportunities to optimize data transfer and keep some stuff on the card throughout the process?

6. FUDie

Regular

Of course there are in some cases, but it's irrelevant as the data still must be returned to the application. Or are you going to tell me that the nvidia PhysX and Direct3D drivers are hyperintelligent and can tell what the application is going to do with the data before it's used again?

-FUDie

7. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Well you're making a claim that is hard to prove or disprove either way without access to the PhysX API. All I'm saying is that we do not know how data moves around so we can't jump to any conclusions of what's feasible or not.

8. Tim Murray

Tim Murray the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
    Veteran

If the data is just going to be copied to the display GPU without any additional modification, it's significantly faster to not have to return control to the CPU and have to spinlock the core (or be at the mercy of the OS's scheduler), especially for small copies. I wouldn't be surprised if this could mean the difference between a usable implementation and one that is too slow--latency in these situations could be a killer, especially on Vista.

(for the record, I know absolutely nothing about PhysX's implementation, I'm just tired of this ridiculous back and forth)

9. FUDie

Regular

It works for the Aegia PPU and that is faster than having the GPU do both PhysX and graphics! In other words, this isn't really a problem.

-FUDie

10. Tim Murray

Tim Murray the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
    Veteran

PhysX wouldn't have issues with WDDM in Vista, whereas all GPU compute devices do. WDDM is a Big Deal for latency.

11. willardjuice

willardjuice super willyjuice
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

12. tapionvslink

Banned

Nintendo and Sony licence nividia physx SDK for their platforms(Wii ps3)
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Wii-Nvidia-PhysX,7325.html#

The physics in ps3 will be done in the cell according to the article.

How could an underpowered console like wii make use of this powerful SDK, unless that maybe the physics would be done on Hollywood?

13. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

The same way it's done on a normal PC except this time they are actually optimizing the codepath?

PhysX!=PhysX