nVidia disables PhysX on systems with other manufacturers graphics

Discussion in 'GPGPU Technology & Programming' started by Kaotik, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Johnny_Physics

Newcomer

That's why I added "display drivers" assuming people knew I was talking about the long history of aggressive optimizations and intricate links not always apparent to the actual user.

Of course nothing happens for no reason.

2. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

There most certainly are standards for graphics -- Direct3D and OpenGL.

The way I've seen PhysX explained to work is they have a set of APIs that take in information from the calling program and return information to the calling program. The PhysX API itself does not do any rendering. It is up to the calling program to do what they want with the information returned.

3. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

nvidia GPU physx runs on Cuda right? how could those calls/commands ever end up on an ATI card?

4. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

There are no standards for passing data from a hardware physics accelerator over to a hardware graphics renderer.

Assuming it's Client -> PhysX -> Client -> DirectX yes. If it all ends up back on the CPU and passed to the DirectX driver then they don't really have a case. However I have no idea what Nvidia actually does or if they can bind PhysX resources in such a way that enables them to pass some data directly from the physics card to the graphics card. Seems plausible.

5. FUDie

Regular

Except that would require the application to have multiple code paths to handle cases where GPU-accelerated physics was not available.

-FUDie

6. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

They have to do that anyway. It's not like there are multiple options for hardware physics today.

7. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

They already have. Anything that can not be processed by the GPU (like some specific PPU functions) are done on the CPU. that's why the dedicated PPU scores better at all the benchmarks than SLI physics.

SLI 9800GTX+ is about 60% of 9800GTX+PPU and GTX260-216 breaks even for that setup.

8. FUDie

Regular

Why wouldn't the app use the CPU model all the time? I.e. Client->PhysX->Client->GPU. PhysX would use the CPU or GPU (or PPU) as appropriate, completely transparent to the app. Thus, the app doesn't really need to be "GPU-physics" aware.

BTW, I think a dedicated PPU performs better than a GPU because the GPU is already busy doing graphics. In SLI mode, you aren't using one GPU solely for PhysX are you?

-FUDie

9. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Agreed, but that doesn't dictate how data actually moves. The client is just making API calls to the PhysX library/driver. Now the PhysX driver can then decide how best to service those calls.

10. FUDie

Regular

The client expects the same results regardless of CPU, PPU or GPU. That means if the client expects to get data back from an API call, then it better get the data!

-FUDie

11. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

It will get the data back, but some functions simply don't run on GPU and thus have to be processed on the CPU. Ofcourse the app. doesn't know who processed the data but on the hardware side it does matter who does what.

12. FUDie

Regular

So explain to me why the application would need separate code paths as you said earlier?

-FUDie

13. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

My bad, I mistook your "application" for my "cuda application"

14. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Sure there is. It's the hardware graphics renderer API(s); either of the two most popular ones will suffice, OpenGL or Direct3D.

If you say otherwise, you're arguing that there are no standards for passing data from a CPU to a hardware graphics renderer. You do realize how absurd that sounds, right?

15. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

What do OpenGL and Direct3D have to do with PhysX? Absolutely nada.

16. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

You're the one stating there's no API to send data to the GPU. OpenGL/Direct3D are API standards for passing data to the GPU. Do you genuinely not see the connection :?:

17. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Nope, my original statement says it all. I'm talking about protocols for direct communication between a physics and graphics accelerator. Obviously everything can communicate with everything else if it all goes back to the CPU first.

18. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Which the PhysX API does.

19. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Well that was the point to begin with, we don't know what it's doing when it's an all Nvidia setup.

20. FUDie

Regular

Which brings me back to my point: The app shouldn't have to be aware of whether it's running on an all nvidia setup or not. Thus, the API has to be consistent regardless of what HW it is running on which means it has to return data back to the app when the API call demands it.

-FUDie