Nvidia "Community Outreach"

Discussion in 'General 3D Technology' started by Geo, Dec 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Anybody heard of a company called Arbuthnot Entertainment Group (AEG), and their relationship with Nvidia?

Their webpage is here: http://www.aeginfo.com/ Their claimed areas of expertize include community development, crisis management (!), and Buzz & Coverage reporting.

Apparently NV is one of their clients. Of that relationship, they say:

Derek Perez of NV, says of them in turn:

Anyone here have any personal knowledge of what exactly this adds up to? Are any of our B3Ders in contact with AEG and part of whatever programs they are running for NV? What exactly is "community outreach" aimed at "build strong enthusiast support" by using "community management"?

Another client, Microsoft Games Studios, has this to say about their techniques:

Now, I'm all for "community outreach", and have certainly been needling NV on these boards about it off and on over the years. But googling AEG and NV has not produced any particular evidence of just what these folks are up to or how they produce all this "positive buzz" at online communities with the cooperation of "passionate fans".

I'm left to tentatively conclude that is not by accident --when a company that gets the kind of praise these guys are getting from their client is more-or-less invisible to the larger general community, then I have to think that is not by accident but by design.

So, how do they accomplish their goals? Sharing of insider information with selected influential webbies at various online communities? Maybe even providing the newest NV boards for these "passionate fans" to enjoy and tell their online communities about? If so, why aren't we hearing about this from the online community folks who are involved? Are they foreclosed by the terms of their agreement from talking about AEG and its programs in public?

Again, I'm all for community outreach. I'm a community guy. But I'd certainly like to hear more about whatever is going on here and why it seems to require that it be hidden from public view.

Also, has anyone heard of ATI doing anything similar?

Pete and Jawed like this.
  2. Hanners

Regular

Without saying too much, very good points you have there.

Pete likes this.
  3. Sxotty

Veteran

How abou having random people diseminate information across message boards, while that information may or may not be true. I dislike viral marketing btw it is intellectually dishonest. Next time you tell me you like your card I have to worry whether you were paid to say it ;)

4. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Yes, they call it "digitalwanderer" though and it's shrouded in secrecy....

EDITED BITS: My apologies, I shouldn't be joking with this topic...it's too serious to be goofing with.

Although if it's true I might finally have found a job just for me, think that company would pay a premium for people with reps who endorsed their shite? If nothing else think me trying to get a job with them might reveal some interesting info? (That last bit I'm actually a tad serious about.)

5. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Heh, Hanners you intrigue me! :lol: That degree of caution says quite abit on its face. Why is anyone afraid to talk about this? What kind of "community outreach" requires secrecy, for gossakes?

Community outreach is a beautiful thing. Or at least it should be. "Passionate fans" are a beautiful thing too (you don't, for instance, see me ever use "fanboi" except in jest), so long as they keep it to being positive about what they love rather than degenerate into hit-squads on the other folks.

I don't know exactly what this program is, and certainly no one has told me they are a part of it. But I'd like to know more, and I think it would be much more healthy if whatever it is is in the open.

6. Hanners

Regular

In my case, I just don't want to get any of the sources of the information I've seen into trouble. I would hope it's obvious why I picked out the statement I did though, because you pretty much hit the nail on the head from what I've heard.

I agree that such a programme should be more open in its disclosure though, that's for sure.

Geo likes this.
  7. dizietsma

Banned

Sorry for the late reply to this topic, I was using an Ati X1800 but the 2d image was so bad that I could not read the text on the replies and I had to swap it out for my new, and rather fabulous, Nvidia 7800 GTX THE POWER OF THREE card.

Getting back on topic, yes it's terrible that people are paid to do that sort of thing, you can't trust anybody nowadays.

Geo and _xxx_ like this.
  8. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

My point exactly. A community outreach program that has the potential to get folks in trouble for talking about it is a very curious thing. It shouldn't be that way.

Figured. Nice to hear, actually, even that small amount of independant confirmation. Tho obviously some official info and explanation (y'know, "community outreach" :lol: ) from AEG, NV, or actual participants would be so much nicer. . .

9. _xxx_

Banned

Who knows, maybe the trouble is "just" that they don't get payed, that would already suffice...

10. digitalwanderer

Legend

Wow, just wow. I've been doing a bit of digging/getting an edumacation by some friendlies via PM & e-mail and this is just looking worser and worser like a video card fanatics tinfoil hat wearing wetdream.

I think there are people here on B3D who have been used by/are working with AEG. :shock:

11. kyleb

Veteran

It wounldn't shock me one but if this guy is on board with them. Not that he has many posts here, but with the same username over at Anandtech forums you can find him running all sorts of pro-Nvidia/anti-ATI PR. Granted I have seen plenty of ravid fans that do much of that on there own, but that guy really goes out of his way so It sure would make sense to find out he is getting paid for his efforts.

12. CMAN

Regular

Who's going to step up and McCarthy the Beyond3D forum?

Pete likes this.
  13. digitalwanderer

Legend

I don't want that!

How's about we just ask everyone who reads this who ever got any money/free stuff from AEG to post up about it and their experiences? That seems a whole lot easier/better to me. :)

If there is nothing wrong with what they did they should have no problems posting up about it, right?

14. Hanners

Regular

I guess it all depends on whether you consider getting free boards as 'payment'.

15. digitalwanderer

Legend

Actually, that does depend on some things.

Do they give you the board with no strings and just hope you like it and write nice things about it? That wouldn't actually be so bad, it is just putting your product into the hands of some people you hope will be vocal about it and doesn't seem like a bad move.

Or do they give you the board with conditions and strings, that you have to go post up nice things about it and you can't reveal that you're doing so for a free board.

I figure it will come down to if those people who got the goods are allowed to talk about it or not. I figure a "don't talk about it unless someone asks, but don't lie if asked" attitude woudl be about right for something like this to be legit....anything more draconic than that and I got some serious reservations with it.

16. Hanners

Regular

Exactly - And that's why some more disclosure on the issue would be welcome.

17. digitalwanderer

Legend

What? You and me agree on something?!?!? :shock:

;) :lol:

18. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

QFT. No witch-hunts, please, on our own folks. I'd much rather see them (if there are any, here or other forums) get out in front and explain what this thing is than anything like that. That's the problem with "secret" tho, it creates that suspicion about what is really going on.

19. digitalwanderer

Legend

Yeah I know, and I'm sorry for that....but my info is straight up and I had to post it. :(

20. Mariner

Veteran

Can we get Mulder and Scully to look into this for us? :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.