NVIDIA Collaborates with Sony for Playstation 3

Discussion in 'Beyond3D News' started by Dave Baumann, Dec 7, 2004.

1. T2k

T2k
    Veteran

And? PS1 doesn't worth sh*t today, no points made.

2. T2k

T2k
    Veteran

Still makes no sense neither from a developer's or retailer viewpoint.

If I buy PS3, I'm not going to buy any PS1 games nor develop anything for PS1 anymore.

If something was developed for PS3, that's not going to run on PS1 - that's the point.

:lol:

3. T2k

T2k
    Veteran

Cell is a derivative of PPC but a different, multicore architecture.

4. Vince

Veteran

So true. Even T2K has emerged from the ashes to bash...

PS. T2K, as of around a year or so ago, the PSOne was outselling XBox AFAIK. The platform is still selling well in PAL territories, there is plenty of money to be made for many of the smaller dev houses.

5. Anonymous

Veteran

6. Drak

Newcomer

Why do you think we've been stuck with the x86 architecture for so long?

7. DegustatoR

Veteran

nAo's answer contained many 'no's', but didn't contain any proof for these 'no's'. I asked for proof. Why are you wonder now?

Cell IS a version of Power CPU. I hope you know that Power 5 already was multicored and multithreaded? As for different ALUs allocation -- it's a question of core design, not basic architecture which is still very similar to Power. I have little doubt that IBM will eventually use this 'Cell' CPU in it's own servers and clusters as some form of Power CPU (Power 6? Power Cell? :lol: ).

Cell as we know it for now (there's not much official information about it you know...) is a heavily multithreaded CPU able to do many threads in parallel. What's so new and revolutionary about this? Compaq Alpha team was working with the same concept almost five years ago.

If you supposedly would do rendering with this CPU only you'll end up being behind Xenon's Power5+R500 tandem in almost every application. Rendering should be done by a dedicated unit, NOT CPU. It is possible that sometime in the future this dedicated unit will be integrated in CPU itself but today is definately too early for this.

8. Anonymous

Veteran

do you think there will be multiple gpu's in ps3? if they did that i don't see how the x2 can compete graphically.

9. nAo

nAo Nutella Nutellae
    Veteran

I told you about the easy way (just check the consoles forum) but it seems you don't like it. Do you want links?
    Here we go:
    Link 1
    Link 2
    Link 3
    Link 4
    Link 5
    Link 6
    Link 7
    Link 8
    Link 9
    Link 10
    Link 11
    Link 12
    Link 13
    Link 14

Please..enjoy ;)
    Obviously there is much more stuff than that, but this 's a good start.

Sorry Degustator but you're just plain wrong. It's not a matter of ALU allocation cause the main CPU core is not issuing instructions to be executed on the APUs. APUs are not additional CPU units. APUs are indipendent processors.

Maybe..but Power6 and CELL are 2 different architectures developed by different researcher teams.

Maybe you should read the things we know about CELL architecture and then express your opinion 8)

ciao,
    Marco

10. KimB

Legend

Since this appears to be a recent agreement, there's no reason to believe this is necessarily the case anymore.

11. Sabastian

Regular

Wasn't the CPU the bottleneck in the xbox architecture? AFAIK xbox was messed because of the choice to go with a P3 733 Celeron.. When the physics of games got intense the frame rate would drop to sickening levels. One memorable moment I noticed this was at the end of Halo when your driving down some corridor and there were multiple explosions. Needless to say the extremely low frame rate at that point in the game was disappointing.. Must have been lower then 10 FPS. There were other points throughout the game as well but that was most memorable. I've always blamed the CPU in the xbox for the choppy FPS on multiple titles. Maybe I am wrong and it was the software development because they should not have pushed the architecture so hard.

12. DegustatoR

Veteran

Now that's great :)

CPU core is Power core (several of them actually). SPUs are additional stream processors. I never said that Cell's ALUs are from the old Power cores. They can be (actually they should be or it won't be a new CPU) completely new. But that doesn't mean that Cell is a completely new CPU which is not based on Power architecture at all.

It's still Power core at it's heart but with additional (new) SIMD processing units (SPUs). So it could be defined as a new version of Power CPU, i don't see what's 'just plain wrong' with that. So what if they are independent? One Power core is 'independent' from another in Power5, the only difference is that here we have relatively simple SPUs instead of additional Power cores.

You already know everything about Power6? :)

I read them and that's what i base my opinion on. I don't know however what you know about Cell processors ;)

Btw, you do know that even IBM and Sony admit that Cell is based on Power CPU designs?

13. nAo

nAo Nutella Nutellae
    Veteran

Current implementation is one core..and maybe even the PS3 CPU will have only one core..

The interesting things in CELL architecture are the streaming processors..not the core, imho.

SPUs were designed from scratch AFAIK. Dunno about the ISA, but I don't think it will be the POWER ISA. (it could be an extended POWER ISA..SPUs do 'exotic' things..)
    One fact is for sure..SPUs are very simple processors..no OOOE and stuff like that...
    Maybe SPUs are not even superscalar processors.

There are many many differences between SPUs and general purpose CPUs..just read that patents :)

No, but I read an interview with a guy (I can't find the link at moment, sorry) that is involved with POWER architecture future developments and he mentioned, IIRC, he wasn't even aware of what CELL guys were doing..

More than I can say.. :)

I know, in fact they admitted that in the latest press releases.
    But someone pointed out that now IBM uses the name POWER with almost everything, even on the 'old' PowerPC processors.

Anyway..I'm not defending CELL, in fact I don't think CELL will be a revolution, even if the architecture has a lot of potential. (Maybe I've spent too many hours coding on PS2 VUs and now everytime I see something similar I got excited.. ;) )
    Time will tell..as ever

ciao,
    Marco

14. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Veteran

Sorry, I should have just said that PS1 sales don't matter, period. One shouldn't count PS1 sales numbers toward the Xb VS. PS2 fight, as they're basically irrelevant.

15. T2k

T2k
    Veteran

:lol:

Kid, your utterly clueless post which actually consist from nothing but a dumb copy/paste remoinds me your politico posts... :lol:

As I've said: C/P doesn't give you an edge here, believe me. 8)
    You are clueless on this and you know this very well. :) :p

AFAIK? Link, please.

16. T2k

T2k
    Veteran

17. Wunderchu

Regular

[source: http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18811&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=520 ]

18. Vince

Veteran

I've been discussing this since before you even showed-up here. Lets stick to making comments that are rational.

Your Link. If you go back, you can see the NPD data that confirms this.

19. Vince

Veteran

Yes, Gschwind headed-up the team that drew up the S|APUs. I believe he and Erik Altman were also both highly involved with the work on compilers.

And to say that Cell isn't a radical departure because it uses a Power processor as a PU is odd. I don't think you're understanding the architecture as you may never actually run user code on the PU.

20. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Veteran

nAo, mind slimming down some of those URLs? Not all of us are running our desktops at 2048x1536. :)