NVIDIA Collaborates with Sony for Playstation 3

Discussion in 'Beyond3D News' started by Dave Baumann, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

Following on from their announcement that they are cross-licensing IP with Intel in order to gain an Intel Chipset license, NVIDIA have now announced collaboration with Sony Computer Entertainment. The specific terms of the deal are not disclosed however the wording “Both companies are jointly developing a custom graphics processing unit (GPU) incorporating NVIDIA's next-generation GeForce(TM) and SCEI's system solutions for next-generation computer entertainment systems featuring the Cell* processor.†suggests that the design will by a hybrid solution featuring both Sony and NVIDIA technology and is almost certainly aimed initially at Playstation 3’s graphics processor initially, however it may be extended to other Cell based applications requiring graphics processing.

The news completes the understanding of the three largest next generation consoles with NVIDIA being part of the Sony Playstation 3 collaboration, and ATI producing the graphics elements for both Microsoft’s next XBox and Nintendo’s next consoles. Initially NVIDIA had sworn off producing graphics for Microsofts next generation console citing that the IP licensing / royalty based deal requested by Microsoft wouldn’t be profitable, however NVIDIA’s deal with Sony is announced to be a “royalty-bearing agreement†– given NVIDIA’s current position in the PC market, which has seen a large marketshare swing to ATI, potentially being frozen out of all the consoles, where the majority of next generation gaming titles will be aimed, wouldn’t be very good from a development perspective, so it seems they have capitulated on former preferred business practices in order to get their technology in front of a wide a range of developers as possible.

2. DegustatoR

Veteran

Now that's a shocker...

3. _xxx_

Banned

:shock: :shock: :shock:

So nVidia silently shoves it up ATI's a**. From behind. Wow!

4. Anonymous

Veteran

So, essentially, nVidia outconsoled ATi again?

5. _xxx_

Banned

Assuming that PS3 will sell 10 x more than Xbox2+GC2 together, I'd pretty much say they outconsoled ATI, yes.

6. Mariner

Veteran

Surely that will depend on how good Xenon and GC2 turn out to be?

I, for one, am hoping that Xenon will not go for the hideously-enormous ugly box look again!

It will be interesting to see how Xenon and PS3 eventually compare in performance/features.

Let the battle commence! :)

7. Mark

Mark aka Ratchet
    Regular

that loud whoosh you just heard is nVidia's share prices going through the roof.

8. Sabastian

Regular

I sure as heck didn't see that one coming.. NV must have given one sweet deal to Sony on this royalty agreement. I wonder ... what MS thinks about that arrangement? Might NV know more then they are supposed too regarding xenon GPU specs and software developement?

9. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Possibly, but it depends on the next financial statements. Sony isn't well known for just giving money away, and with Nvidia only doing a very small part of the (possibly just IP) work compared to the large amount of graphics and chipset work they did for Xbox, Nvidia might just be getting crumbs from Sony's table.

Of course being PS3, there will be a *lot* of crumbs, and it's certainly good for PR to be linked to the most popular console, rather than being shut out of all three next-gen consoles.

10. _xxx_

Banned

Look at the current numbers, PS/PS2 is a HUGE user base, which is very likely bound to buy the PS3 eventually. Just from that perspective it's enough to blow away any competition.

11. Bjorn

Veteran

I doubt that Ati or Nvidia gives away their knowledge.

Well, Ati sure knows a heck lot more about the next Nintendo GPU then Nvidia knows about the Xenon and that doesn't seem to be a problem.

12. Mariner

Veteran

To be honest I don't really know too much about Consoles although I do know that PS2 has sold many more than XBox/GC.

However, I was under the impression that one of the main reasons for PS2's dominance (in addition to 'mindshare' from the original PS) was that it was released much earlier than it's competitors.

What's the current estimated schedule for the new Consoles - is one due to be released much sooner than the others?

13. Mark

Mark aka Ratchet
    Regular

When nVidia's PR dept sneezes it goes up, with something big like this it'll skyrocket, no doubt about that.

Contrast that with ATI, who announces record quarterly earnings, various high profile deals, etc etc, and watch their stock actually go down.

14. Sxotty

Veteran

It is an evil consipiracy all stock buyers hate ATI :p

In any case maybe it is because their stock was over valued to begin with, which it was (but in that case so was and is Nvidias). In fact most stocks have been over valued since 1992...

Oh and BTW I have to say I think this is good news. I wouldn't want either ATI or Nv to go bankrupt at the moment. Two heads or schools of thought are better than one for the consumer, although price competition seems like a foggy memory know... "Yeah Johnny when I was a boy companies used to try and undersell the competition so you could actually afford to buy new products, them were the days..."

15. DegustatoR

Veteran

I doubt that NV would go bankrupt even without this collaboration over PS3 :)

16. duncan36

Newcomer

Personally I dont believe Sony. People thought the Ps2 would be amazing and it frankly sucked hardware wise. To announce this late sounds to me like Sony attempted to make their own GPU and botched it up and went shopping for something. Also I dont think 'Cell' technology despite its catchy name will be able to beat Microsoft which has Intel's and ATi's best technology behind it. If the Ps2 had been the revelation people predicted I might be more willing to give Sony the benefit of the doubt.

17. MrBond

Newcomer

Xbox2 has IBM's and ATI's best working on it. Whatever the next Nintendo system is too, probably.

To me, this sounds more like nvidia's attempt to make sure they weren't locked out of consoles altogether. But considering how long the PS3 processor has been talked about this whole time, I wonder how long the GPU's been in development, how complete it was, and how much nvidia can contribute to it. It doesn't seem like it'll be anywhere near the work they had to do for xbox1.

18. Vince

Veteran

It's IBM, not Intel. Secondly, the Cell project took many of IBM's upper tier researchers from projects like BOA, DAISY or guTS.

I don't think there are many informed people who think the IBM XCPU, which is much more of an off-the-shelf derivative product than a clean-sheet design like Cell, will have a snowballs chance in hell of being competitive.

And if PS2 had come out in fall of 2001 instead of March of 2000 (almost two years) and been built with the 150nm process in mind as opposed to 250nm, you can bet your ass the XBox would have been inferior. Just food for thought before the instinctive responce you just made...

19. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

But they came out when they came out Vince. Not really constructive food on that point.

20. Vince

Veteran

Merely highlighting the fact that "the revelation" part is why many PS2 games are roughly on par with the average XBox game, some actually being better graphically. It, actually, was a pretty damn good system for it's time when you compare it against the competition.