Nvidia closing in on deal to buy ARM *spawn*

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by DegustatoR, Jul 22, 2020.

Tags:
  1. pascal

Veteran

As long as Nvidia continues to be bold it could be a good thing!
    Imagine vertical and horizontal consistent product lines.
    From IoT to mobile, game box, to personal computing, to data centers and HPC.

This could be a Techno Reset!

Let's focus on Software Architecture. There is much to be done.
    Develop the software once and run and scale it everywhere.
    Today AI is far from general AI, data governance is a nightmare, security is weak, etc...

2. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

Yeah, I kind of agree. Like them or not, nVidia engineers are pushing the envelop on the gpu side. I would love to see them in the arm cpu market (and I mean having full control, not just licensing IP like they did in the past).

snarfbot and PSman1700 like this.
  3. Entropy

Veteran

Depends on who is asking, and their standards for success. It is very, very far from ARM in impact and eco-system, obviously. A major reason for that is that ARM, and the associated eco system, exist in its current form. If Nvidia buys ARM, you’ll see the strongest such as Apple, roll their own. Some will try to band together behind RISC-V. Some will try to come up with a new ISA, et cetera. It is likely to be a bit of a mess, and set the industry back overall.
    If the story as it goes is correct, SoftBank first approached Apple, who immediately declined buying ARM on the grounds that a deal couldn't possibly go through on anti-trust grounds. SoftBank then widened the offering and the Nvidia deal came up. But as far as I can see the same anti-trust concerns apply.

4. JasonLD

Regular

That is far worse than Nvidia acquiring ARM, not even sure why you are suggesting that.

I don't see Apple taking a part of that since they already have perpetual license and they do not like sharing their architecture detail with others. Also, many conflicting interests as far as how to push ARM architecture forward may prove to be more hinderance than beneficial.

Plano, HLJ, nutball and 4 others like this.
  5. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

Seems like this deal will never happen now due to international issues.

6. ChuckeRearmed

Regular Newcomer

Well, it depends on the regulators and arguments that the opposing forces will make. Despite being relatively inventive, Nvidia is notorious for it proprietary technologies.

China might block as ARM becoming american will lead to possible restriction of access due to american sanctions. So China will lose access to ARM licenses for example.

UK might also be involved (selling ARM to SoftBank was really stupid lol) again.

But they expected the deal to happen within 18 months which is almost two years.

7. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Also the US:
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...oft-qualcomm-protest-nvidia-s-arm-acquisition

8. Scott_Arm

Legend

I feel like x86 needs to go away some time soon and we need something like arm to replace it. Not sure what gets us there. Nvidia buying ARM probably wouldn't be the best.

9. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

are there any promising research papers on other architectures that could extract much more performance for the same amount of silicon use?

10. Scott_Arm

Legend

Not sure. I’ve only recently been reading about arm. I don’t fully understand why it uses so little power other than just a general sense that it minimizes wasting transistors as a design philosophy. Also it doesn’t waste as many clock cycles. No idea if there are other contenders out there.

Edit: Read this the other day https://debugger.medium.com/why-is-apples-m1-chip-so-fast-3262b158cba2

#110 Scott_Arm, Mar 16, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    digitalwanderer and iroboto like this.
  11. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

No offense, but I found this sentence absolutely hysterical considering your name!<3 :lol::lol::lol:<3

Kej, PSman1700, Lightman and 5 others like this.
  12. DavidGraham

Veteran

So just more decoders and and potent OoOE? I feel this is just a major over simplification.

I would really like to know more about the subject, the M1 is currently the king of single threaded performance, with just 3.2GHz clocks, it managed going toe to toe with 5GHz AMD and Intel CPUs.

PSman1700 and digitalwanderer like this.
  13. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Caveman Jim has really been in to ARM and RISC V stuff since leaving AMD, (James Prior). I've been following some of the stuff he's been involved with on Facebook and while I don't quite get it I am excited by the possibilities.

Or am I confusing ARM and RISC?

14. Scott_Arm

Legend

Yah, I'm sure it's an oversimplification. The blog post is really meant for the layman, so I'm sure there's a lot of technical stuff that's missing.

15. Scott_Arm

Legend

arm is an isa that follows a risc design philosophy. RISC-v is another isa that’s open source and designed around the same principles. I think that’s how it goes.

Edit: Apparently at the microcode level intel and amd CPUs operate like RISC designs. The just have complex decoders to turn complex x86 instructions into simpler microcode instructions. There are a lot of other things like compiler output, registers to look at.

#115 Scott_Arm, Mar 17, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  16. DegustatoR

Veteran

Which is more or less the main part due to which an x86 CPU will always be inferior in perf/watt when compared to a pure RISC design on the same production process.

milk, digitalwanderer and PSman1700 like this.
  17. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

Dont worry about NV its apple that will take over everything slow but secure.

18. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Apple has the exact same issues as NVIDIA does when it comes to who should own Arm.
    Except phone soc manufacturers might triple their efforts to block it in case of Apple.

PSman1700 likes this.
  19. pharma

Veteran Regular

Most companies that oppose the merger can't expect Arm to operate perpetually with low margins to their benefit.
    Why The Nvidia-Arm Acquisition Should Be Approved (NASDAQ:NVDA) | Seeking Alpha

PSman1700 likes this.
  20. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

digitalwanderer likes this.