NVIDIA & ATI killing PC gaming?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Roger Kohli, Apr 15, 2005.

1. hovz

Regular

yes online, why would anyone ever play this game offline. completely pointless.

2. Acert93

Acert93 Artist formerly known as Acert93
    Legend

hovz,

Are you even open to the possibility it is your system??? I posted links to comparable setups and I and someone else have played on similar CPU/Vid card setups without the issues you are talking about. We are playing on comparable systems and can say we are not getting the 50FPS you are encountering. At 1024x768 with 4xAA and 8xAF the benchmarks show similar systems getting 80-100FPS--that is a far cry from 50FPS.

Whether you want to believe it or not, there is something going on with your setup that other people are not having.

Anyhow, try turning down the AA and AF. Go 2xAA and 4xAF (or none at all) and that should make it much more playable---the benchmarks show at those settings you should be getting an average of over 120FPS without AA/AF at that resolution. Any drops in frames/sec should be unnoticable then.

So test out 1024x768 with no AA/AF, if you are still averaging low FPS then something is wrong. If this is happening online it may just mean your internet connection sucks for fast paced games. Anyhow, definately not something right on your end. Your system should SCREAM at 1024x768, because everyone elses does. So I would give it a good look over.

Good luck!

Ps- Also check your monitor refresh rate... some games are more sensative to this.

3. Acert93

Acert93 Artist formerly known as Acert93
    Legend

Well that may answer your question.

UT2004 is a very fast paced game and thus VERY sensative to a bad internet connection. I know I can get away with a higher ping in BF1942 and CS:S compared to HL2DM and UT2004 (which I admittadly do not play much). A bad ping, or bad connection, can really cause some serious lag.

Btw, when benchmarking you would do that OFFLINE. It is bad methodology to complain about the game engine rendering if you are testing ONLINE. Apples to Oranges. And to really test out your problem you need to see if it is Offline and Online. If things are fine Offline, then you can look at your connection, the servers you play on, your geography, etc... If it is offline also then you need to look at your system first.

Anyhow, test offline to see if you still have the same jerkiness. If not you really need to trouble shoot your net connection. It may end up that your carrier/local area/distance from internet backbone/etc may be your culprit. I know this first hand... where you are at (and if you have overloadsed cable, bad phone wires on your DSL, are far from the switching station, etc) will strongly influence your game experience. That is why their is a ESRP (sp?) warning that says, "Play experience may change online".

Good luck. UT2004 is a pretty good game if you like that kind of thing. Hope you can find what is going on so you can enjoy the game like everyone else is.

4. hovz

Regular

the skipping and stuttering isnt caused by the renderer, i never said it was. i said the code general. i dont get the skipping and shit offline, but my fps is the same. it isnt my connection because ive been through 3 connections. 2 dsl and 1 cable. right now i have comcast 4 mbps service. i d/l at damn near 500 KB per second 24/7. that has nothing to do with ut as it doesnt demand alot of bandwidth, i just use it as a point that my cable is not overloaded at all. i also ping 20 to 40 to the servers i frequent. the problem in part is packetloss, something everybody i know of seems to have. ut has more packetloss than any game ive ever played. the problem is rly bad on the official atari servers which i find pathetic.

5. KimB

Legend

Guys, don't even bother arguing with hovz. He's a blithering idiot with nothing to add to the discussion, not to mention a troll who takes every opportunity he can to bash Epic/Sweeney.

6. K.I.L.E.R

K.I.L.E.R Retarded moron
    Veteran

Play on another server.
    I get awesome ping and very insignificant amounts, if any, packet loss.

7. hovz

Regular

sure thing Nvious one.

let me remember back to some of your oh so intelligent posts so that i may learn from you. 256 bit memory buses are useless, the geforce fx is as fast or faster than the r300 series when coded for properly in dx 9...errrr wait a second, its YOU whos the blithering idiot.

8. Reverend

Banned

Ho hum... so what's new in the forums guys? Anything I need to really know? I mean, who are the new idiots?

9. Reverend

Banned

Most developers (and I mean "most", not all) that still have PC games that support DX7 cards do it because of the PS2. IMO, it's absolutely understandable. Your comment is also quite understandable, given the nature/focus of this site (and how B3D could potentially have turned a number of casual gamers into 3D tech enthusiasts i.e. "I buy games coz I want to play them" folks to "I buy games coz I want to benchmark/analyze them" folks... c'mon, admit :) ). A person that complains about "There are still DX7 games being released, can you believe it?!" probably don't see a lot of things from different perspectives and angles. Add to that, you also get some folks that complain about a SM3 game as "barely shows us what SM3 offers" or "how fully-latest-and-greatest-API-featured is this game" and you get the obvious same picture -- you have a lot of folks that don't understand the relationship between the game industry and hardware industry.

More seriously, my comment is/was a generalized one. The thing is that there are, of course, developers that have the resources (with publisher backing) to spend extra money/time/etc in "properly" supporting the PC as well as targetting the PS2. The matters of risk, resources, cost, creativity and innovation all play a part when a developer embarks on the development of a game.

I always say : Don't complain, just enjoy what games you can buy :)

10. jvd

jvd
    Banned

sonic and i revoked hovz console forum posting power. so don't bother talking with him . Its not worth it

11. Reverend

Banned

I've never talked to this character. So... he is an idiot, yes?

12. jvd

jvd
    Banned

He may be an idiot , I think he is consumed by his bias .

But yea ... idiot sums it up . You can see some of his posts in this thread adn you can read the console forum for some of his nicer remarks like calling sonic hitler

13. anaqer

Veteran

Rev, you probably have a point about my attitude being way too focused on visuals and utilization of the available tech assets. Maybe PC gaming really is slowly dying and I just seek refugee in all the eye-candy, maybe I'm expecting developers to better justify my hard earned greens being spent on computer parts, maybe something else... I don't know.

One thing's for sure though, all the 3D features in the world mean f* all unless games do take advatage of them. Yeah, that card still is nice bit of engineering, but when all it's giving you is higher scores in some arbitrary benchmark or, say, a notch or two higher AA/AF - well, then something's very broken with that HW-gaming relation. It may have worked in the past when the release cycles of games and hardware were much closer, but now that a game may be in production for as long as 2-3 generations of graphics cards (think D3/GF3)... no, I don't think it's just us being way too tech oriented and bitching for a feature checklist being fulfilled in each and every game.

EDIT: gee, I managed to basically contradict myself in just two paragraphs. WTG! :lol:

14. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

You can ban people from just posting in certain forums!?!?!

Could you PM me how to do that trick, it's be useful for me to know....

15. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Good words and good advice. 8)

16. Roger Kohli

Newcomer

I realise that the IHVs and developers aren't doing this out of the kindness of their hearts, but are out to make money. But I feel they are killing the goose that lays the golden eggs. If they would stop bringing out products with incremental performance and concentrate on bringing out innovative stuff every couple of years, and tie this up with game developers so that features get used, then everyone would benefit. Instead, they try to grab market share with speed bumps etc and gamers end up with "wallet fatigue".

No, I don't have to buy the latest stuff, but this is not an issue on consoles. When you buy a console you know that you're getting something that will last years.

17. Zvekan

Newcomer

If I remember correctly UT2K4 has really big textures if you use highest settings - it was (including UT2K3) one of the first games that showed why having 256 MB of video memory can really help if you use higher degrees of AA.

So try lowering texture quality a bit - should run smoother...

Zvekan

18. Nappe1

Nappe1 lp0 On Fire!
    Veteran

oh, oh, pick me! pick me! pick me! pick me! pick me! pick me! pick me!

did I already mentioned that all your bases are belong to Bitboys and Matrox is only manufacturer that truly Rox??

:lol:
    hovz reminds me few fellow members that have been quite long quiet. Sancheus could be mentioned as an example.

anyways, Back in topic... I do think that we will continue seing less and less titles that are developed exclusively for PC and more and more titles that are actually conversions from consoles to PC. This just because PC is very expensive as development platform and it has a lot more piracy than any of the consoles.

as mentioned previously the variety of systems is huge. the problem isn't anymore in the general hardware, but more like amount of combinations of graphics cards and drivers for them.

Just try to quickly count amount of different graphics chipsets available during last year and you notice that it's like hell for support. (without even mentioning that each of the chips got about 5 to 10 different driver versions that average joe might be running on their computers.) right now, the speed difference between low end and ultra high end is devastating: FX5200 has 2 pipes while GF6800 Ultra SLI has 32 pipes. It's already 16 times (or 1600 percent(!!)) difference even if you assume them running on same clock speed. Now try to satify that kind of target group.

with consoles, you can be sure that while you develop game for certain system, it's going to work in it. Only thing to take care of is possible timing and refresh issuse in different TV standards, but it's still tiny thing to do compared to good PC support.

EDIT:
    adding missing "SLI"...

19. anaqer

Veteran

:shock:
    Seriously man, the hell are you talking about?

20. Nappe1

Nappe1 lp0 On Fire!
    Veteran

you have wonderful way to say "I think you made mistake here..."

and besides, I am not talking about hell. (never been there, so no experience on that section... sorry.)