NVIDIA & ATI killing PC gaming?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Roger Kohli, Apr 15, 2005.

1. hovz

Regular

9800 pro, p4 2.6c, 1gb dual ddr 400.

2. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

are you running holy sh|t settings too?

AA/AF?

3. hovz

Regular

i have aa and af, but i have no shadows, no decals, and low world detail. not like it matters, uts graphics are fucking outdated as hell. the way the game looks it should run at 200 fps at my settings when theres no one else in the map and the game is probably displaying 10k polys.

4. jvd

jvd
    Banned

hovz if you don't like pc games why are posting in a pc game forum ?

5. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

well, it's just that I'm running on a 9800p, XP 2600+, 1GB DDR333, max in-game settings, at 1024x768, 2xAA, 4xAF and getting about 75fps at the same scene.

AF seems to make the most difference, setting that up to 16 through the "preferences" gives me about 60fps with everything else the same.

Turning off AA/AF gives me over 100fps. It's probably just me, but I find it odd that you'd blame the engine for being bad when you turn on options that are not part of the menu settings. *shrug*

6. hovz

Regular

considering how outdated the game looks, theres no reason a 9800 pro should run the game so poorly even in the simplest of scenes.

7. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

can you give me an example of a similar looking game that actually does perform significantly better? Surely, you have something to compare it to other than your own expectations?

8. hovz

Regular

painkiller. similar style of rendering, just much much better performance and visuals.. theres also no mouse lag like in ut2k4.

btw i have a demo i just made showing exactly how bad the game does run. as soon as i find a place to host it ill post a link.

http://s8.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=23XRRZS0W4NCT2RYZE4AL7GV3R

count how many times i due to to skipping, suttering or some other game related issues, then count how many kills i miss out on due to said issues and add them together. imagine if this was some type of tournament. thank you epic.

9. Fox5

Veteran

Personally, I blame it on the fact that ut2k4 supports both dx5 level cards and a software renderer.

On indoor levels ut2k4 runs great while pushing out some very nice graphics(except on that ice palace level which is all shiny and haloish looking), but on the outdoor levels it runs and looks like crap.

10. Acert93

Acert93 Artist formerly known as Acert93
    Legend

UT2004 runs great on my cousins P4 2.533/512MB/9700 setup (no FPS because it is not here BUT it is very smooth). So I can second its performance on a similar system. And as a third:

http://www.sharkeyextreme.com/hardware/videocards/article.php/3211_3411451__4

These benchmarks show UT running at 118FPS and 92.2FPS with a 9800Pro at 1280x1024 and 1600x1200, respectively. With 2xAA and 4xAF it churned out respectable 91FPS and 74FPS.

What resolution are you using? Do you have all the patches? Updated drivers? Did you try rolling back drivers?

If your system still is underperforming compared to similar rigs then the issue may not be the game--you may have some spyware, hardware conflicts, or a bad install. I frequently assist people in "fixing" their PC problems, setting up networks, etc... and when people have complaints about under performing software on quality HW 9 times out of 10 they have something screwed up on their end.

So if you are hitting 50FPS max as you say, and others are getting 50-100% more FPS, then you may want to troubleshoot your system a little.

EDIT: Couple more benchmarks links
    http://www.insanetek.com/index.php?page=visiontekx800pro
    http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041119/geforce-6600gt-agp-04.html
    http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041119/geforce-6600gt-agp-05.html

11. hovz

Regular

ive been through 3 systems and 2 broadband connections since ive had this game. my system is configured properly. i dont have these problems in any of the other games i play(which are far more advanced than this.)

12. hovz

Regular

well once you get good at the game you rly notice how much skipping and stuttering there is, when your just running around spamming rockets or flak you tend not to notice. for example when i first got ut2k3 i use to play in 100 ping and think it was lag free. now anything above 34 and i dont even wanna play because it interferes with my aim too much.

also eveyr time the fps flucuates from 85 to 50 to 30 to 60 to 45 to 76 to 44 it seriously affects the gameplay. it rly takes out the enjoyment when i miss a perfectly timed combo or shot or get skipped off of a ledge into lava or some other form of death because the game runs poorly.

13. Frank

Frank Certified not a majority
    Veteran

Does hovz still have credit left? I thought that would be long gone by now.

14. Fox5

Veteran

I've found that certain options in ut2004 can really effect framerate.

Mouse smoothing, force feedback, and voice recognition can all have a noticable impact on framerate.

15. hovz

Regular

they are all off

16. hovz

Regular

u dont know ur ass from ur elbow so why are u talking?

17. Acert93

Legend

Lets take this one step at a time. Your lag issues are secondary at this point because your system is performing about ~50% less than comparable systems. Since you have a problem causing serious problems lag is more of an after thought. Your lagginess may be related to the fact you are getting an average of 50 frames per second:

So if your FPS are 50-65% lower than everyone else with comparable systems then it is understandable that something is going on which would also make it laggy.

What I am trying to figure out is why your system is severely underperforming compared to benchmarks and other users. After reading a lot of reviews of the benchmarks at different sites (I did not post them all) it seems all the tests show 9800Pros performing about the same. This seems to be the same experience I have seen of others and others on the board. So lets trouble shoot.

Driver version:
    Game Patch version:
    Game Resolution:
    Game AA:
    Game AF:
    Detail settings:
    OS version/patch status:

If you are running 1600x1200 with 4xAA and 8xAF then it is understandable WHY you would lag. The 9800Pro cannot perform well with those settings in this game... but without knowing how exactly you are running your system it is hard to know what is going on.

But knowing exactly how you have your system setup maybe someone can spot something that may be a problem. Other things to look at: Your sound card and sound card drivers, mouse drivers, MB drivers, and any other device drivers. Not all games are affected the same by drivers not playing well. Also, what anti-virus do you use?

18. Acert93

Legend

Also, how are you testing your FPS? Online or doing a standard benchmark offline?

19. hovz

Regular

i play with stat fps on, and its extremely easy tot ell even without that when your fps is dropping. there is a HUGE difference between 55 fps and 85.

latest ut patch, catalyst 5.3, but ive tried them all the way down to 4.2.

latest official sound blaster drivers.

1026x768 res, everything highest except low world detail, no shadows, no decals. 4x aa 8x af. AI on standard.

standard i865 mb drivers.

xp home with latest updates. my system isnt the problem here dude, if u all played with stat fps on with a comparable system ud get the same average 50 fps performance in dm with drops lower and peaks higher as i do. i gave up even trying to play onslaught. 25 fps is unplayable.

did any of u even watch the demo i posted? that explains it all.

20. Acert93

Legend

So this is during normal play (and not a benchmark demo). When you say "play" do you mean online?

(Ps- The file is not streaming so I cannot DL it).