NVIDIA & ATI killing PC gaming?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Roger Kohli, Apr 15, 2005.

1. hovz

Regular

doom 3? yea it runs at 30 fps at 1600 res with aa and af, that sure is a taxing game....

and your the biggest pc f@nboy dude, 95% of pc games have graphics that look like trash.

for example heres some screens of the latest pc screenshots on gamespy

http://media.pc.gamespy.com/media/699/699089/imgs_1.html
    total ass

http://media.pc.gamespy.com/media/734/734719/imgs_1.html?fromint=1
    not as bad as the first, but mediocre

http://media.pc.gamespy.com/media/552/552148/imgs_1.html
    looks decent, but th eunreal engine is hardly impressive in 2005

http://media.pc.gamespy.com/media/683/683945/imgs_1.html
    could a game be any blockier?

http://media.pc.gamespy.com/media/718/718781/imgs_1.html
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

2. KimB

Legend

The primary problem with PC gaming has nothing to do with hardware or technology. It has to do with the business model. Specifically, publishers are typically just bad all around for PC gaming.

One excellent recent example of this is Knights of the Old Republic 2. When I started playing this game, I very quickly started to feel it was the best RPG I had ever played. The comparison to other RPG's didn't even seem close. It felt that good. Then I got about halfway through the game and I started to see the content start to slack off. Then the end came up, and it was just blatantly obvious that the game was never finished.

This is a game that could really have benefitted from another 6 months' development time. And I place 90% of the blame on LucasArts for not allowing the Obsidian team to get what they needed to get it done right (the other 10% goes to Obsidian for not forseeing the problem earlier and doing what they could to cut the game down while still keeping it coherent).

This sort of overbearing publisher tactic, for some reason, doesn't appear to affect the console market nearly as badly. I think there are a few reasons for this:
    1. You can't patch console games. This forces console games to go through quite a bit more QA before release. Yes, PC games need more QA than console games, but the fact remains that PC games still frequently tend to ship with bugs that are gameplay-related, and have nothing to do with differing hardware.

2. The business model of console games is different. Put simply, the console maker gets royalties for every game sold. This basically puts the console maker in a position of judgement on what can and can't be sold on their console. The PC market has zero oversight, and so we get more crap. Now, not being an insider, I suspect that this relationship may prevent publishers from wanting to rush games as much.

Anyway, personally, I love PC games. Quite often, you just can't get the same gameplay on a console. I still play some console games, and may finally buy an X-Box to play Jade Empire, but I will still spend 90%+ of my gaming hours on the PC.

3. Fodder

Fodder Stealth Nerd
    Veteran

KOTOR2 was first and foremost an XBox title.

4. KimB

Legend

First? Yes. Foremost? I don't think so. The developers were PC developers first (In fact, I believe this was the first console game these developers have ever produced). This was no console to PC port.

Regardless, the major problems with the game had nothing at all to do with hardware or performance on the PC. The major problems had everything to do with a story that wasn't ever finished. Though I never played the X-Box version, I'm sure it has the exact same problem.

5. mustrum

Regular

I just played through KOTOR2. It's a good game but it's unfinished indeed and they didn't improve graphics at all (thanks to xbox).
    They are PC developers but KOTOR was made for the xbox and only ported and that's what counts.
    Cronicles of Riddick showed us that not all console ports have to be crappy though. There is still hope. ;)

6. KimB

Legend

With the very short development time, I doubt they would have improved the graphics anyway.

It takes more than ~4 months to port a game. This game was co-developed. It just takes a bit longer to get it out on the PC.

7. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

It doesn't really suck - gameplay is pretty good - but SilentStorm is very hard on graphics cards for no apparent reason.

8. Reverend

Banned

What and make the developers work even harder if they want their game available for the PS2 also?

9. anaqer

Veteran

PS2 still a factor? Say it ain't so!

10. hovz

Regular

i thought u meant by having advanced graphics, not shitty programming.

11. Frank

Frank Certified not a majority
    Veteran

Silent Storm is a GREAT game!

12. hovz

Regular

might be, but judging by the pics if it brings even a 9500 pro to its knees then something is very wrong.

the same can be said about ut2k4, the gameplay, weapon balance, feel, movement, everything is perfect. but the game itself is just buggy as fuck. the programming has so many holes and issues in it that it rly brings down what would be 1 of the best games ive ever played.

13. Neeyik

Neeyik Homo ergaster
    Veteran

95% of what? ALL PC games? Ever? So what are the 5% that don't look like trash?

14. hovz

Regular

no 95% of recent games or games coming out in the near future.

15. Neeyik

Neeyik Homo ergaster
    Veteran

So what about this 5% then? How much of that will be games of unbelievable visual quality? Or will most of that 5% just be "good"?

16. hovz

Regular

mostly just good

heres a picture of the great unreal engine

[​IMG]

manages to run at a whopping 50 fps displaying all those per pixel real time lights and complex architecture!!!

sweenEy sucks.

17. Neeyik

Neeyik Homo ergaster
    Veteran

So that means, from your point of view, hardly any games have decent graphics at all. Hmmm, how do you sleep at night?

He probably does but Sweeney seems to know what he's doing.

18. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Yeah I loved it because it reminded me a lot of XCOM - the best turn based strategy game of all time!! Plan to pick up Sentinels sometime soon :)

19. ANova

Veteran

The PS2 does have a rather large portion of the market buddy.

20. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

What are you system specs?