NVIDIA & ATI killing PC gaming?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Roger Kohli, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Roger Kohli

Newcomer

Do you think that the high price of the latest graphics cards is having a bad effect on PC gaming?

When you buy a game and can't use the highest settings you feel that you are in some way missing out. You don't get that feeling with console games, you know you're playing it as intended.

After trying to keep up with the technology (and paying $500 a year for it), there comes a point where you say "forget it".

2. linthat22

Regular

I know what you're saying and I agree.

I just recently built me a new system after 4 years of not upgrading. I went from a Pentium 2 800 MMX chip to a Pentium 4 3.0e Ghz chip.

It is a bit disheartening bot being able to run last years games with all the bells and whistles on. Kinda makes you wonder how they did it with old technology.

3. anaqer

Veteran

What's a Pentium 2 800 MMX?

No, I think the effect is so miniscule it barely registers.

4. Reverend

Banned

No, the blame isn't on the IHVs. It comes down to the mentality of developers.

You can have console games that absolutely crawl on respective consoles. Doesn't happen very often however. Ask why this is the case.

5. linthat22

Regular

Sorry, just a P2 800. I was thinking too far back. :lol:

6. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

They made P2 800s? I have a P3 800..... :?

7. Guden Oden

Guden Oden Senior Member
    Legend

Fastest P2 ever made was like 450MHz I believe, MAYBE 500. The rest however were all P3s. I guess Someone became a bit confuzzled by the fact the first couple P3s came in the same slot format as the older P2s did. :)

8. Acert93

Acert93 Artist formerly known as Acert93
    Legend

The PC market is a double edged sword.

On the one hand you have graphics cards offering significantly new features every 2 years and double speed on the high end every 2 years, with modest bumps in between. The last 3 gens we have been treated to high performing mid range cards also:

-GeForce TI 4200
    -Radeon 9600
    -GeForce 6600GT

So the market is moving well on the HW end, even for the mid range.

The problem is that PC game development pretty much sucks these days. There are a lot of reasons why:

1. Smaller user base than the consoles (that weigh in at about 120M units specifically FOR GAMING... the PC market has a much smaller gaming userbase)
    2. Piracy is very high on the PC
    3. A technologically fractured userbase by default makes developers code to the lowest common denominator to ensure sales (e.g. some gamers are running MX420, 256MB of slow memory, and a 1.8GHz Pentium while others are running top of the line rigs)
    4. Cross platform porting onto 5 year old consoles

One other fact is early adopters are paying top dollar for video cards that have new features that are not really used significantly for almost 2 years after release. So you pay $500, and when the games come out you need a new card to really enjoy them.

So the only reason to get a high end card is to max out resolution with stable frame rates and AA/AF.

When you look at these factors and then look at the consoles (closed box, dedicated HW, streamlined design, massive game support and large install base) that are comparable to a mid range video card (let alone an entire PC!) it is easy to see why a lot of PC gamers, and thus developers, have moved to the Consoles as they get more and more PC like features (HD displays, online... KB/MS next?).

The nail in the coffin, I believe, is that the games on a consoles 5 year cycle looks good compared to PCs. At the beginning of its lifetime they look better than the PC, in the middle they are about equal give or take, and at the end the consoles lag a little on extra but usually are good enough to hold their own. If you buy a $2000 PC today you would be lucky to have games play at a decent frame rate in 3 years, and in 4 you might as well just give up.

PCs are not just for gaming, but as consoles begin assimulating more traditional "PC Computer tasks" there will be less and less reason to game on the PC. And if developers cannot make good money on the PC they will start to target the consoles first (as most have done). There are only a few big names left on the PC (id, Valve, Epic... ironically all your cutting edge engine builders) and I do not see that changing.

9. fallguy

Veteran

There are always budget cards, you dont have to buy the top of the line.

I thought this was going to be about what the Chaos Theory BS.

10. digitalwanderer

Legend

Well also for bragging rights and high benchmark scores... [​IMG]

11. Acert93

Acert93 Artist formerly known as Acert93
    Legend

That is why I got a 6800GT ;)

12. digitalwanderer

Legend

My X800 TT will toast it! ;)

13. AlexV

AlexV Heteroscedasticitate
    Moderator Veteran

There is piracy on the consoles to some extent(at least there are isos floating around for the XBOX or the PS2).What I consider to be a great advantage for consoles is the fact that when developing a game you don`t have to worry about a bazzilion odd hardware/driver/os/software combinations, like you have to on the PC, unless you want to get a lot of flak.It`s significant that almost all recent games have been patched rather soon after release in order to fix bugs.

The trouble is that by the end of their life cycle, consoles are like huge ankleweights for the gaming industry.Consider the multitude of multi-platform stuff coming out now.If it`s a game that`s on the XBOX, you know you`ll get mini-levels with many loading pauses, low res textures etc.They simply lack the dynamic nature of the PCs.

14. Dr. Ffreeze

Regular

Roger Kohli,

Good post...

No.

Yes, so I don't buy many just released games. I tend to buy the older ones, or cheap ones that I will set aside until my machine 'matures'. =)

No, as I can find much enjoyment in playing games from 5 years ago. I try not to get too focused on the Super Ultra HalfDoom III game that just came out. =)

15. _xxx_

Banned

Ther you see it, it's true :lol:

16. Tim Murray

Tim Murray the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
    Veteran

Slot 1, woohwooh!

17. jvd

jvd
    Banned

Bah you can buy a 6200 for 100$ play all of todays games at good res with all the features turned up and you can enable fsaa and aniso on last year and further back games .

THe problem are the developers . They try to target very old cards to try and reach the most amount of players instead of Capping off the age of the hardware .

Instead of supporting dx 7 cards still we should be firmly in the death of the dx 8 cards as the slowest cards supported .

You can get a dx 8 card now for 25-50$ which is the price of a game the developers just need to give reasons to buy these cards

18. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Agreed but I tend to think there is more creativity/innovation in the console space and that's the killer (I haven't owned one since the SNES but the God of War ad just looks way too cool :)). There are several PC games that tax even the fastest dx9 hardware but still plain suck.

19. hovz

Regular

name 1?

20. jvd

jvd
    Banned

doom 3 :) game eats out all cards for breakfeast hehe .

Now if you want to know how many games look better than god of war thats almost any game on the pc for the last 2 years