nVidia and Infinium Labs partnering up?

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by digitalwanderer, Dec 30, 2004.

1. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

A cut-n-paste I just HAD to post over at nVidia's new forums... :wink:

2. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

Seriously, Digi, and you act surprised when people call you a ATI f@nboy?

As for the topic, why wouldn't they partner up? Infinium is using a nVidia graphics chip for their console. If Xbox 2 tanks in the market, does that somehow reflect on ATI since they're providing the graphics hardware?

3. digitalwanderer

Legend

But John, I'm NOT an ATi! :shock:

BTW-What is an ATi? :|

What, you think I'm an ATi fanboy now just 'cause I like taking a few easy popshots at nVidia? This one was just too good to pass up John, it's to drive Ruined & co bonkers. :twisted:

4. ondaedg

Regular

Just remember, Nvidia has personally hurt Digitalwanderer and ATI would never do anything to mislead its customers or investors.

My roommate and I both frequent this forum. As soon as we read about Nvidia and Infinium Labs at Hardocp.com I wagered that either Digi or JVD would be the first to post this here. Sadly for Digi and my roommate, but hoorah for me, I won! Woohoo a six-pack for me. Thanks Digi for being looney over an IHV! :p

5. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

Well, I don't want this thread to turn into a "bash on Digi" session, but IMO it's completley uncalled for and inaccurate to suggest that IL and NV are a "match made in heaven". That just strikes me as an unfair comparison for nVidia, which prior to its FX line had demonstrated an amazing period of growth and product execution.

6. digitalwanderer

Legend

YES YOU DO!!! QUIT LYING!!! YOUR JEALOUSY IS OBVIOUS LITTLE MAN AND IT IS GETTING ANNOYING THAT YOU KEEP HIDING YOUR ENVIOUS HATRED BEHIND ALL THEM PRETTY WORDS!!!!!

;)

Sorry, I just felt all ranty...it's been a good day and it has been an awfully long while since nVidia has done anything I can cry foul on.

(And yes I know this isn't really a "foul" as they ain't doing nothing wrong and selling a product to an end-user/manufacturer and supporting said sale is not at all an unusual nor stupid thing...but I just could not resist poking some fun since it is just soooooo easy in this case! More in a sec....)

True, but I'm a vindictive fuck with an intolerably long memory for stuff like that and I still feel nVidia is in the hole a bit in the karma department.

Besides, I didn't even post up this story at EB....I've been really lazy about posting news and such lately since it's the holidays and I had this crazy notion to spend more time with me family. ;) I just saw the title and realized that if'n I posted the story up totally factual it would come across as a fanboy burn even though it's just the facts with a bit of me own sarcasm added for flavor.

I'm having a bit-o-fun, but I promise I won't make too much trouble with it though.

7. DOGMA1138

Regular

well from what we`ve seen of the phantom console, it had a GF FX5600 inside of it....
    so long xbox2 and ps3 the phantom will own ya... :lol:

8. Tim Murray

Tim Murray the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
    Veteran

yes, it has an FX5600 inside of it. better than the S3 chip that was rumored before, but STILL.

and wasn't there already an announcement about this being demonstrated at the MS booth because it uses WinXP Embedded?

9. digitalwanderer

Legend

M$ and Infinium, a match made in heaven.... ;)

10. Doomtrooper

Veteran

Chance of this console surviving vs. the Big 3, zero.

11. Tim Murray

Veteran

chances of this console coming to market in the first place: ~zero

12. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Wow, and I was just about to post "So that's what Nvidia did with all those FX5200s." The Phantom just got incredibly better... :lol:

13. digitalwanderer

Legend

Oh yea of little faith...they're partnered with NVIDIA and MICROSOFT, how can ya have any doubts? :|

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. Tim Murray

Veteran

no, NO NO. they did NOT partner with MS, nor did they partner with NV. they're using WinXP Embedded--there is no "partnership," only a buyer/seller relationship. same thing with NV and chips.

15. digitalwanderer

Legend

You say tomato, I say penguin...6 of one and a half a dozen of the other. :p

16. CMAN

Regular

I don't think anyone expects the Phantom to compete with XBOX 2 or PS 3....
    My understanding it was some cheap give away thing cable companies would use (like a cable box).

17. IgnorancePersonified

Regular

I sort of thought it was more to do with an online gaming/content delivery system...

18. MasterBaiter

Regular

:lol:

You can't make me laugh right now! I'm still recovering from flu (the hot-fiery liquid coming out of every orifice type) :evil:

Well "if" Infinium actually does grow some legs it may have one less competiitor... seems Apex has put the Apextreme on hold and their president has been arrested in China. (doh!) :shock:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4134349.stm

Digi does have a rather impressive entry for Nvidia in his "Book of Grudges". I let them off the hook when they started actually putting out a decent product and stopped relying on their FUD department. Keep in mind that Nvidia is still paying for their lack of vision, and poor marketing by giving ATI market share quicker than they can handle it. Seems like karma has been served in my book. 8)

19. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

Agreed, which is another reason why I don't understand everybody can't get it through their thick heads that Phantom does not compete with consoles and never will. I wouldn't be surprised to see Microsoft license the Phantom content delivery system for Xbox 2 or buy Infinium to get it. It would be an easy way for Kevin Bachus to return to Microsoft. LOL

Tommy McClain

20. karlotta

karlotta pifft
    Veteran

What is the Delivery system? Net flix? Steam? File Planet. Oh yeah THEY DONT HAVE ONE. Why would MS even think of that? They already have a delivery system for content. As soon as they InFinium comes up with a hardware system to have you download Games you can buy from any Retail The specs will be to low to run anything but the Sims, And they wont get the Sims to lic. to you.