NVIDIA achieves record revenue and 37.84% Gross Margins

Arun

Unknown.
Legend
Sounds like I won't have to eat my hat for saying NVDA will go above $32 by the end of the month to someone ;) This is pretty much their best results, ever, with the potential exception of the GF4Ti era, because they had lower R&D/Marketing expenses back then. http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=116466&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=742570
Conference call is going to begin in a few minutes, so let's use this thread for that too please people!

Uttar
EDIT: Slight correction, it's record revenue for Q1 and Q2 together; Q2 is "historically weaker", revenue only was 1.5% lower than Q1 however. Also, cash is actually lower than Q1, mostly the result of their stock repurchase program.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, I was going to listen real-time, and I got distracted. Guess I'll wait for the replay now. If someone else wants to do the sort of mid-level summary with selected juicy quotes this time, fine with me. :)

Here are my "taken on-the-fly" notes in notepad. Some highlights:
- Integrated nForce coming soon, merging of 2 brands, developped new strategy for cost-reduction in that market before entering ("The most interesting thing is we can do it in a very profitable way")
- GeForce 7800GTX margins are "very high".
- Secured design wins for the holiday season. Implicitly stated ATI is totally losing the "Back-to-School" season, with SM3.0 dominance in mid-end and high-end.
- Expect to gain the 15% ($70M) revenue of the XBox they are losing in Q3 (no more shipments at all) back in the core business, mostly desktop-GPU-wise.
- Still focusing on cost reductions and gross margin improvements. Expecting to be well ahead there.
- Strategy to counter Centrino basically is to stand behind Turion.
- Noticing and hoping for GeForce 7800GTX leadership "halo effect" to theiur other segments, expecting it to be positive even for the new entry-level 6200 PCI-E.
- Didn't seem too worried at all when it comes to the competition, laughed at the way the questions were presented when it comes to competitive pressure.

- Oper
- Q3: No XBox shipments. So they'd need $70M just to stay flat.
- Significant growth expected in GPU and MCP business in Q3
- Overall, expectation is flat t
- This means 15% quarter-to-quarter
- Gross margins between 37 and 38% expected for Q3, but hard to forecast. Still conformtable in that range.
- For Q3, operating expenses are likely to increase

- Growth drivers in Q3:
1) GF7 Family ramp.
2) High-end leadership halo effect.
3) As PCI-E continues to gain share, they expect
4) Ramping new nForce MCP with integrated GPU (first in over 2 years)
5) Design wins for the holiday season already secured.
6) Sony PS3/PS3 Compatible (PS4 etc.) license. Software license money coming partially in Q3 (? not sure to have heard right ?)

- Expected strong growth in chipsets (numbers for 2009, didn't hear)
- Requoted mobile phone game numbers for the next few years

Q&A
---
- We are anticipating to ship a high number of 7800s where the margins are high (!)
- 6600s are good margin products (didn't hear if 6200 too)
- Competitive pressure, but right now there's the halo effect of the GF7 high-end
- Hoping for the halo effect to have an effect on GF6 (6200) sales too
- Few minutes of hyping up SM3.0, and the pressure it puts on the competition

- It is expected that in Q2, customers buy in the last part of the quarter.
- Seeing that customers are already coming back to
- Back to School is ramping up nicely (implying the competition is missing it)

- Two 90nm products in production now
- All products behind it are 90nm
- We're expecting to use a lot of 90nm.
- Early ramps are hard to say, but it looks like the industry is doing a good job with 90nm.

- Continuing to focus on multimedia-rich handset.
- non-G3 is very large but inconsistent.
- Market was slower in adopting G3 than expected
- Long-term, it's inevitable (bandwidth becoming more available, cellphones having storages, portable gaming devices more popular, etc.)
- It's already a pretty significant business, and we are expecting it to be a significant business in 2006.
- Expecting their product line to be very successful.

- Margins high mostly because of: 7800GTX, very-high-margin product. Still significant focus on gross margins improvements and cost reductions.

- Memory in the quarter was $29M, was $35M in Q1.
- Strategically, always trying to bundle as little memory as possible
- Because it has little value for them, no real margins, just bundling role.
- Helps them get new GPUs on the market faster.
- Began doing this 5 years ago.
- As soon as it's generally available, they let their partners/customers buy the memory instead.
- Going forward, it's going to flip-flop around that level. Not going to be much more or much less.

- Transition is not going like the industry had originally expected (comparaison to AGP transitions)
- 20% of the Channel is PCI-E.
- Expecting 50% of the Channel PCs to be PCI-E by the end of the year.
- Because of the AMD nForce4 platform is completely PCI-E.
- On Intel, it'll happen when DDR2 becomes more cost effective (so that those chipsets make more sense)
- 6200s are right there at the entry level
- So everything is lining up nicely right now.
- Market Share gains expected thanks to PCI-E thanks to their lineup there.
- Heard 5200, might not have heard right (around 39)

- Restating that their product lineup should allow to offset the $70M reduction of the XBox.

- Competitive environment...
- Competitor has excess inventory.
- Everything above and including midrange just isn't going to sell well below SM3.0, it's going to look dated
- Feeling a transition from that point of view.
- He suspects the competition slowed down or stopped building inventory considering that.
- Whatever they were targetting before might have to be moved down one or two segments because it's SM2.0
- Focusing on marketing the benefits of SM3.0. - expecting marketshare gains thanks to this and better lineup.

- Chipsets: Most focused on AMD in the entire business.
- Opportunity for AMD. Expecting AMD to gain share, so they'll benefit from it since they have significant marketshare there.
- Incredibly excited about the upcoming integrated chipset. I'd like to relisten to that part, I seemed to notice implication of "working on

- Majority of the growth for Q3 core is in GPU Desktop; no real growth expected in Notebook, slight growth in workstation.
- Rest of the growth in MCP and to a lesser extend WMP.

- First license payments coming in October. But integrated in some costs etc. (NRI)
- So real license coming in Q1. Royalties in Q2. Expect contribution to gross margins in Q1.

- ROFL at the discussion regarding competition (around 50)
- No one has much visibility because of the supply chain.
- Lots of energy in monitoring segments and their evolution in the channel and other
- Considered a lot of positive and negative
- Which is why guidance has a range.
- But that's, "you know, it comes, so what."
- "Does it matter? Yes. Do we have other things going on? Yes."
- We control the things we can control.

- Insisting on the importance of the Dell deal
- As far as he remembers, first non-Intel chipset for Dell, ever.
- Very proud of it. Feeling the chipset segment is important for us.
- In order to build a sustainable chipset GPU business, need to go back to the basics of building a great chipset.
- Focusing on merging brands (no mention of performance, obviously)
- Can't wait to talk about the RESULTS next quarter.
- Important growth driver, result of 4 years of investments.

- Focus remains the AMD platform.
- "Well, you know, 64-bit is, hum, hum, really important" - Jen Hsun Huang
- Really helpful to Opteron and AMD-64. Good for platform transitions (->chipsets)
- Sucess of AMD64->Good for nForce->Good for us.

- Talked about CURRENT XBox margins, didn't hear (58 or so)

- There will be a premium for integrated graphics sicne it's the combination of 2 brands.
- Focus on LOW-COSTS, problem before was that they didn't have a way to make money in the process.
- "Strategy to develop integrated graphics in a low-cost way" (implying it's integrated in another way than traditionally)
- Price-pressure since it's entry-level, but it'll combine to growth,
- "The most interesting thing is we can do it in a very profitable way"

- Repartition of revenues: "I don't know"
- GPU (Desktops/Mobile/Workstation): $380M
- nForce: $76M
- Xbox+Sony: $80M

- Centrino: Really terrific, Intel doing great job around it
- Our strategy there is to go behind AMD with the Turion, and build an incredible integrated product line around the Turion.
- (So basically just "fighting" the Centrino platform)

- [insert explanation of why 64-bit is always better than equivalent 32-bit]
- If you look at the overall die costs of the AMD64, it's negligible, so transition is inevitable. It will happen.
- "And it's a good thing for the world"

- Opteron chipset: Started from a very low base in the server business. Now we're getting design wins every day.
- The server business is important to us.
- We're expecting to get design wins from that in the workstation market too.

Thanks, Uttar. I can just listen to the call now. :) You did that real-time? I'm impressed.

I was just wondering the other day as to the exact timeframe of the window a IHV like ATI has to hit the fall OEM refresh cycle. Anyone know if ATI has completely missed it at this point?

I think I read that MS is paying a bit to license NVIDIA tech from the XBox to accomplish XBox360 backward compatibility... something like a % based on each XBox360 sold (or something, I can't remember specifics). Was there any mention on what kind of $ they expect to make on that deal (or in fact any mention of that deal at all)?

Jen made mention of the Sony/PS3 deal in the Q/A session of the CC. Has it been confirmed that Nvidia is getting a royalty payment for each game sold in addition to the RSX payment?

John Reynolds said:
I was just wondering the other day as to the exact timeframe of the window a IHV like ATI has to hit the fall OEM refresh cycle. Anyone know if ATI has completely missed it at this point?

A few months ago I said that nV will rip ATI a new one this time around, business-wise. I was obviously right :cool:

John Reynolds said:
As I said in another thread, I think NVIDIA/ATI talked of that in the pre-NV30 timeframe (but post-R300); I seem to remember Jen Hsun saying you need to be ready in August so at this point they only have GF4s for it, but I could be wrong.

My personal guess on this would be the R520 missed the cycle (obviously, late september/october is too late), but that's not so dramatic since the leadership halo effect is about performance and upgrade avaibility, not so much OEM avaibility. On the other hand, what matters here is RV515/RV530. If those chips are ready, and maybe even have been ready for a while, it might be possible for ATI to negotiate OEM deals for them before they're even announced, if they're capable of already shipping them to the OEMs.

So I very much doubt they're fucking up the low-end OEM deals, but negociating a deal for a high-end OEM deal with the momentum the G70 has seems a fair bit harder, and even more so when there are concerns of avaibility and further delays there (not factual ones, just that after all these issues, OEMs would most likely take their precautions).
Once again, this is just my personal opinion - Jen Hsun expaliend for about 5 minutes his own speculation about the position of ATI, but it wasn't really related to their next-gen parts at all.

I think I read that MS is paying a bit to license NVIDIA tech from the XBox to accomplish XBox360 backward compatibility... something like a % based on each XBox360 sold (or something, I can't remember specifics). Was there any mention on what kind of $ they expect to make on that deal (or in fact any mention of that deal at all)?
None at all. They clearly said that "XBox is gone, implying that all related revenues are gone. I would assume that if they had a percentage on each XBox360, they would have bragged like crazy about it, but they didn't even mention it. Maybe there would be legal issues to talk about it, but I doubt that.
My guess is that it's most likely a one-time payment they received, or are going to receive when the first XBox360 ships.

Jen made mention of the Sony/PS3 deal in the Q/A session of the CC. Has it been confirmed that Nvidia is getting a royalty payment for each game sold in addition to the RSX payment?
None at all. Do you have a source for that? They clearly indicated the licensing money they'd get from it would be for "PS3s and all PS3 compatible devices, which could last for up to 10 years". So my guess is they get no per-game royalty payment.

You did that real-time? I'm impressed.
Well, whatever crappy playing was being used obviously didn't have a "pause realtime conference" button, so I didn't have much of a choice :)

Uttar

Ouch! Looks as though the delays of R520 could cost ATI dear.

For me, comparisons can be made between NV/XBox and ATI/XBox360 - both companies have seemed to let their desktop products slip as they concentrated on the console chips. It can't just be coincidence, can it?

Funny how Nvidia damaged ATI more with SM 3.0 than ATI could damage Nvidia with SM 2.0. The difference of having a feature even if it is not useable and not having at all.

phenix said:
Funny how Nvidia damaged ATI more with SM 3.0 than ATI could damage Nvidia with SM 2.0. The difference of having a feature even if it is not useable and not having at all.

If you've got the marketing checkbox, you can crow about it knowing the developers will take a while to get up to speed, and you can release something new by the time everyone finds out your implementation is for marketing purposes. ATI wasn't willing to compromise the number of transisitors available for "real" features for the sake of marketing, and Nvidia punished them for it in their marketing. Smoke and mirrors, a la the infamous "Far Cry SM2.0 vs SM 3.0" marketing presentation.

It'll be interesting if the rumours are to be believed and R520 has more features this time around, as well as being very fast. Of course that won't matter if ATI can't ship the damn thing. Don't forget the system builders are probably finalising their orders for "back to school" very soon, and the Christmas/New Year's season isn't far off. Missing the two biggest sales seasons will hurt ATI and will keep Nvidia smiling like cheshire cats.

By the end of October ATI should have top-to-bottom $100-$700 SM3 hardware with CrossFire support.

Perhaps earlier?

What interests me, is how soon will NVidia push 90nm value and mid-range 7xxx parts out. When NVidia's Power of 3 marketing headlines "why buy old?", NVidia's 6xxx series hardware is going to look very OLD when there's 7800GTX and 7800GT hardware out there.

So I expect 7200, 7600 hardware to arrive pretty soon...

Jawed

Jawed said:
When NVidia's Power of 3 marketing headlines "why buy old?", NVidia's 6xxx series hardware is going to look very OLD when there's 7800GTX and 7800GT hardware out there.

Why, GF6xxx have all the features that 7800 has, except for transparent AA. Feature-wise, they could have screamed about that stuff last year already for marketing purposes.

Jawed said:
By the end of October ATI should have top-to-bottom $100-$700 SM3 hardware with CrossFire support. Perhaps earlier?
Yeah, NVIDIA's approach regarding hyping up things ATI will have soon makes little sense to me, but my guess is they're trying to get people - and especially OEMs - to think ATI is behind schedule even more so than they really are. Also they want to secure the Holiday season design wins, obviously.
But thirdly, and perhaps even more importantly, I *think* they want people to "link" them to SM3.0 and SLI. They want ATI to look like "followers", rather than innovators. And they want to use the "new 7800GTX" to make people feel the rest of their lineup is "new" too, even though it hardly is.
If that's indeed their intention, that's one helluva aggressive and possibly efficient marketing plan, getting all their bases covered. In practice, I doubt it'll give them half of those results tbh, and I find the whole idea a bit unethical, although nothing too bad really - that's just me, though, and I'd love to be proved wrong.

What interests me, is how soon will NVidia push 90nm value and mid-range 7xxx parts out. When NVidia's Power of 3 marketing headlines "why buy old?", NVidia's 6xxx series hardware is going to look very OLD when there's 7800GTX and 7800GT hardware out there.
Ah yes, that's a conference highlight I didn't focus much on in my notes. Basically, Jen Hsun said they got "2 90nm parts ramping up". What that implies to me is they got one nForce5/C51 on 90nm, as well as ONE G7x part. So only one G7x part is coming in the short-term; considering his insistance on the 6200 in the conference, I'd guess it's only the 6600 being replaced. I wonder if they'll dare renaming the 6200... (GeForce FX 5000, anyone? *grins* God, now THAT was low on their part)

So I expect 7200, 7600 hardware to arrive pretty soon...
As I said above, I don't expect 7200-class hardware to arrive so soon, considering the CC pretty much implied to me it didn't even tape-out yet. And no high-end 90nm G70 part has taped-out either. Of course, that's just my intepretation of what Jen Hsun said (and maybe he didn't count C51 in those 2 products).
A last, imo not very likely scenario, is that NVIDIA will use the same chip for their ultra-low-end and integrated chipset, which would then be a G7x derivative. Not gonna happen imo... BTW, the integrated chipset will also be available for mobile AMD platforms.

Uttar

phenix said:

Oh. I'd have to disagree. ATI sold alot more R300 chips than Nvidia sold NV3x chips. Nvidia took alot of damage back in the Nv3x era. And ATI earned alot mindset.

Uttar said:
They want ATI to look like "followers", rather than innovators. And they want to use the "new 7800GTX" to make people feel the rest of their lineup is "new" too, even though it hardly is.

Of course. Though i guess you could call it new compared to the X800 series which has basically the same featureset as the Radeon 9700.

Mariner said:
Ouch! Looks as though the delays of R520 could cost ATI dear.

For me, comparisons can be made between NV/XBox and ATI/XBox360 - both companies have seemed to let their desktop products slip as they concentrated on the console chips. It can't just be coincidence, can it?

Scary coincidence isnt it?

It seems to me that maybe the biggest indicator of who really has blood in their eye to fight to the death for the performance lead is die size. Possibly you can argue that NV had no choice with NV40, that they simply had to redeem their credibility with a balls-to-the-wall implementation, essentially (imho), leaping two generations in one.

But now, say the tea leaves, they've done it again --G70 is *bigger* than the already big NV40, while ATI --by our best available information (which, of course, may turn out to be wrong; hence "tea leaves") is coming out with a *smaller* die in R520 than they used in the already-smaller-than-the-competition R420.

Orton asked a question in his interview with Wavey --"Who steps down first?"

I think we have our answer, for now at least.

Back