Nvidia abandons deal to buy ARM *spawn*

948bdf3c9c4047686976971ec7aa0769.gif

Not a surprise in a turn of events since they had yet to receive approval from antitrust regulators late into the process ...

NVIDIA gets to keep a 20 year license from ARM in exchange for the 1.25b termination fee.

I'd like to stand corrected if I'm wrong, but I doubt one is in exchange for the other in the strict sense. Afaik pre-payments are usually non refundable for such deals/contracts. Else 1.25b even for 20 years sounds extremely steep for intellectual property.

I'd like to stand corrected if I'm wrong, but I doubt one is in exchange for the other in the strict sense. Afaik pre-payments are usually non refundable for such deals/contracts. Else 1.25b even for 20 years sounds extremely steep for intellectual property.

It's probably just a "gentlemen's agreement" that NVIDIA will (and be able to) keep its 20-year license with ARM no matter what happens in the future.

EETimes - Nvidia Abandons Arm Deal, Segars Steps Aside for IPO
Either way, new CEO Haas will oversee preparations for Arm’s IPO. Haas previously served as president of Arm’s IP products group. Under Haas, the Arm unit increased investment in a large software developer ecosystem as well as products aimed at growth markets such as infrastructure and automotive. Those investments attracted new ecosystem entrants, including Alibaba, Ampere, Amazon Web Services, Bosch, Denso, Intel’s Mobileye unit and Telechips. Arm said this week it is on track to achieve record royalty revenue, licensing revenue and profits during its current fiscal year.

Haas previously held positions in engineering management and sales with Nvidia, Scintera Networks and Tensilica. He also serves as a non-executive director at Mythic and Computacenter.

I'm guessing the UK job commitment is null and void with an IPO, if so the UK really screwed itself by not just embracing the merger but demanding the Softbank job guarantees stood.

SK Hynix interested in forming consortium to buy Arm | KitGuru
As reported by Yonhap News Agency (via TechPowerUp), Park Jung-ho, vice chairman and CEO of SK Hynix, recently commented on the idea of acquiring Arm during a shareholders meeting. He said “I don’t believe Arm is a company that could be bought by one company”, but a consortium of multiple partners could potentially get the job done.
Unlike Nvidia, SK Hynix would not buy the majority of Arm shares, explaining that you don’t need to be a majority share holder to have input or control a company. Still, plans to have a run at acquiring Arm are still early on, and it is possible that Arm is no longer up for sale. Following the failed Nvidia deal, Arm publicly shifted its strategy towards preparing for an IPO. In that situation, a consortium could still buy a big stake in the company in lieu of a private acquisition deal.

Back