Nvidia 6800 GS vs ATI X800 GTO....both AGP

rajeev84

Newcomer
Need help here, i posted this last week or so on the hardware talk beyond 3d board. However, i think it's more appropreiate on this board.

Here's a link to the PNY Geforce 6800 GS AGP
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1782292&sku=P56-7024

and here's a link to the SAPPHIRE Radeon X800GTO
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102608

and here's a head to head comparison between both of them on GPUreview.com
http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=368&card2=356

Now they're both the same price...and I have decided to stick with AGP instead of upgrading my entire Mobo to PCI express. So please don't tell me to go pci express here, this is strictly between these two cards.

From what benchmarks i've seen, the ATI does have a slight edge in performance, i think, but the 6800GS is unlockable to 16 pipes while the Saphire X800 GTO isn't (i think, its only the saphire boards that are unlockable).

Anyway, any advice here? I'm gonna order today. Also i am considering temperature and power requirements here.

Furthmore, my current LCD does not support a res higher than 1024x768, so maybe you all can factor that in when handing my some advice.

Thanks.

I'd probably choose the nvidia card for SM3.0 (even if it might perform bad, at least it's an option to use for the future). Also, I gather that stencil performance is a whole lot better with the nvidia card.

According to this X-bit labs article, the GS consumes a little more power, but is pretty much insignificant for all intents and purposes. This article shows them neck-and-neck, but the GS pulls ahead in a few benchmarks.

At 1024x768... This article may be worth looking at.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow man, thanks alot Alstrong, some good info in those links.

I was already leaning toward the 6800 GS, i know its bit castrated, but it can be unlocked to 16 pipes and overclocked, so that aint bad.

Also, remember i only plan on gaming at 1024x768 for now, performance at res should be more than adequate.

Yeah, I agree with Alstrong. The SM3.0 makes it a more futureproof buy if you can call any AGP card that.

At 1024x768 you should be able to crank up the FSAA, too.

Bludd said:
Yeah, I agree with Alstrong. The SM3.0 makes it a more futureproof buy if you can call any AGP card that.

At 1024x768 you should be able to crank up the FSAA, too.
A 6800 GS future proof? Come on now. It is the better choice in someways but future proof is not anywhere anyhow. A 7800gs is the AGp card to get for some future... but the real future is to buy a better monitor when you have some future $.i jusy kinda wonder what sm3 that 6800gs can render @ 10/7 For that matter what sm3 game is there....Still for now the 6800gs is a goochoice to the 800gto, why limit your self tho?

Well i just graduated from college (meaning no money), and i've decided to not job hunt yet since college was way to stressful and i need a break.

I have about $2000 to spend for the next 3 months (where i live at home).....so i need some money for partying and drinks.

So $200 is all i want to spend on my PC for now.

When i'm working i'll dump this system on my sister.

karlotta said:
A 6800 GS future proof? Come on now. It is the better choice in someways but future proof is not anywhere anyhow. A 7800gs is the AGp card to get for some future... but the real future is to buy a better monitor when you have some future $.i jusy kinda wonder what sm3 that 6800gs can render @ 10/7 For that matter what sm3 game is there....Still for now the 6800gs is a goochoice to the 800gto, why limit your self tho?
I agree with you, but I said "more futureproof" not just "futureproof". There's a subtle difference and it applies if you consider his other option, a SM2.0.x card.

Back