Nvda

Does anyone know what was the big change last summer? Was it just the Xbox deal or was there other big OEM deals, or was it just that the market noticed the R3x0 chips about a year late? :eek:

overclocked_enthusiasm said:
Also, they have about $200 million in lost revenue from Xbox to replace starting next year.
That's an issue only, and only if the XBOX contract is profitable, which i kind of doubt after the re-negociation with M$.

it is profitable and is a huge part in the results. Read the quaterly results since last year, after the end of the action, you will see :)

Evildeus said:
That's an issue only, and only if the XBOX contract is profitable, which i kind of doubt after the re-negociation with M$.

Arbitration went in NVIDIA's favour, meaning that MS had to pay the prices they didn't want to pay, ergo I'd say its safe to say it say they are profitable.

Well, AFAIR, the arbitration was a middle agreement, with a big amount for Nv at the beginning and a slash in the price for each chips. I could remember incorrectly of course.

Evildeus said:
The huge profit was a 1 time revenue. It's done and won't come back AFAIK.

You are messing the one time income due to the arbitration and the regular incomes due to xbox sales AFTER the arbitration.

PatrickL said:
Evildeus said:

You are messing the one time income due to the arbitration and the regular incomes due to xbox sales AFTER the arbitration.
I'm not confusting anything. And what are the consequencies of the arbitration on the price per chip? Lowered for sure.

The only statement was that they would work together to finds ways of reducing the cost of the chips, not that prices of the chips had dropped.

Evildeus said:
PatrickL said:
Evildeus said:

I'm not confusting anything. And what are the consequencies of the arbitration on the price per chip? Lowered for sure.

ED, there wasn't a single report at the time of the arbitration settlement that indicated that MSFT would pay less per Xbox chipset. NVDA won the dispute, but the PR statements were crafted to reflect an ongoing collaboration between both companies to try to reduce the console's costs. This was confirmed by Forbes, along with the fact that this segment is still profitable for NVDA, with gross margins at 25%.

NVDA also mentions the settlement in various sections of their 2003 10-K annual report. On page 17 you will note that Xbox revenues accounted for a whopping 23% ($439 M) of NVDA's revenues for 2003, which is going to begin dwindling even before the Xbox2 release, especially if MSFT kills its production prematurely because of ongoing losses.

Eronarn said:
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=ATYT&t=2y&l=off&z=l&q=l&c=NVDA

Whenever I'm saddened about how Nvidia's marketing is doing stupid things, I just look there, and see that it really doesn't change anything...
I never really thought of it that way, and I guess it does make me feel a bit better about the whole affair. :)

Karma is a beyotch. 8)

I'm still saying that revenue means nothing if it's not profitable. And why would M$ pay 40M$ without any compensation?
Thanks for the links:
Analysts estimate that Nvidia's gross margins are about 25% on Xbox chips, compared with 30% to 35% for overall company margins.
[...] it's a bad business for Nvidia
And
In addition to resolving this pricing dispute, we have agreed to collaborate with Microsoft on future cost reductions for the Xbox.
[...]During fiscal 2003, sales of Xbox processors, which generally have lower margins than our other products

A gross margin of anything above 0% is hypothetically profitable. The one time fee from MSFT to NVDA was to make up for the chips sold to date (at the time of the ruling) at a loss. In addition, the going forward price was set and profitable for NVDA at approx. a 25% gross margin.

FYI

http://ccbn.tenkwizard.com/filing.p...=ON&LK=0000FF&AL=FF0000&VL=800080

*Edit* The arbitration agreement set the price of the chip going forward so NVDA should not be subject to MSFT's price cuts. It is generally assumed that the settlement made the deal slightly profitable for NVDA and there would of course be some expected manufacturing savings over time.

Margins may be less evil but i'm sure they have sold more xbox gpus than nv3x chips thus even with low margins they are still making a ton off the deal

The point is, before the agreement the gross margin was 25%. The other point is, firms nowadays put a standard to the profitable business and 25% could be or not profitable from Nv's point of view. Finally, the agreement changed the future prices of the chip hence an impact on the future gross profit.

FYI, my master is in finance and economics...

Evildeus said:
FYI, my master is in finance and economics...
Really? Mine's at work right now, I was just getting ready to get the kids into the Pathfinder to take her lunch. (And I prefer to call her my "wife". ;) )

Neat info, I'm loving this thread...VERY edumacational!

ED, as overclocked_enthusiasm has mentioned, a positive gross profit margin indicates that the business segment is contributing to overall corporate profits, even though other segments might be relatively more profitable.

MSFT did not pay anything 'without compensation'. It paid for $40 million worth of chipsets that NVDA had already shipped under the pricing terms of their contract. Since it was decided to go to arbitration, NVDA did not report that revenue in its books until the dispute was settled in case they lost and had to reimburse part of the money. So it's just a matter of NVDA delaying the recognition of that revenue in its financials, nothing more.

By the way, the NVDA annual report I linked to was for fiscal 2003, whereas NVDA had already completed fiscal 2004. Xbox revenue accounted for a smaller percentage (15%) of total revenue for 2004.

Edit: ED, noticed your comment about the profit margin - I won't disagree that we don't know how a 25% gross profit margin impacts the company's profitability objectives overall. However, those were the terms (and anticipated margins) that NVDA agreed to when it signed the deal. I disagree that they changed the pricing on Xbox chipsets. Not a single source has reported so.

AFAIR, the 40M$ was for another thing, there was 34M$ for future chips. Anyway, let's say we disagree.

PS: Yeah i'm trying to finish my PhD (i need some motivations :oops: ), and find a job. Maybe i should go to the UK, France is in a poor economic situation :(

Back