Nv40 16 full pipelines- The Inq.

Discussion in 'Pre-release GPU Speculation' started by nelg, Feb 26, 2004.

1. nelg

Veteran

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14373

2. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

Well it is always fun to root for the underdog ;)... we shall see.

If it is true though how hot would it be man I need to move to alaska so I can heat my house with the computer or something.

3. lost

Newcomer

My guess is that unless the Inq is incorrect, nVidia missed their target clocks on the second to last stepping of nv40 and decided to strap on another 4x1/2x2 unit to make up for the clock difference. Lets say they lose 50 more mHz from the added die size so they can still maintain some of their margins. Most likely, the chip will still launch at 450+ mHz core speeds, which means they lost 10% of their clock but gain an addition 33% performance. 90*1.33=120%. So they are left with a product 20% faster in non memory limited operations...which should be all of them except high AA in high res...

Maybe there will be a high end fight with nVidia able to deliver ps2.0 performance and ps3.0 compliance. I certainly hope so!

4. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Is this the same Nvidia that told us that pipelines are meaningless and that the NV3x was 8x1 when it wasn't? We'll probably find that it's only ever 16x1 when doing stencil-only ops in monochrome.

5. d2thez

Newcomer

If that is indeed true.....then considering a 16-pipeline architecture, a core between 500-600 mhz, and Nvidia's ability to imrpove performance with their unified compiler, I see no way for ATI's R420 to compete.

I am not here to start a flame war, but ATI's "extreme pipelines" that were touted in another artcile had better be something......

6. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

I'm sorry, but I just don't believe a damned thing out of nVidia anymore until they can lay it on the table and prove it to me. :(

7. jimbob0i0

Newcomer

I'm with you mate on this one..... I find this very suspicious - esp given die sizes...

8. elroy

Regular

Can anyone confirm this? I think this is the first time that this has been stated.

9. Florin

Florin Merrily dodgy
    Veteran Subscriber

My feeling that NV40 is gonna rawk is getting stronger. I want one. :)

10. anaqer

Veteran

If true ( and that's quite a gargantuan IF ) I can't help but wonder how they're going to run those 200+ million transistors at anything even close to 500MHz.
    DustBuster Extreme, anyone? :?

11. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

This comes from theinq.. can you really trust anything this site puts up after the DX9.1 mess. Lol next we'll hear Nvidia will release the NV50 by August.

US

12. MuFu

MuFu Chief Spastic Baboon
    Veteran

Ahhh.... what sweet, sweet news. :cool:

13. PaulS

Regular

I'd be suprised if these were 16 genuine, full pipelines. If it turns out to be true, it looks like nVidia have been playing ATi at their own misinformation game 8)

14. Mariner

Veteran

Well, if it is truly a 16 pipeline chip (which I doubt), it wouldn't need to run at such a high clock speed.

A 16-pipeline 400 MHz chip would have a third more fillrate than a 600 MHz 8-pipeline chip.

Personally, I reckon this rumour is a load of tosh. 8)

15. digitalwanderer

Legend

Don't tell me you think it might be real MuFu? If that's the case I might just revise my opinion! :shock:

16. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Yeah, yeah. We've heard it all before - a couple of months before NV30, and then NV35. It was bullshit then, it's probably BS now.

17. MuFu

Veteran

Who cares? Just nice that there's something new to talk about - that R420 thread was getting really pitiful, hehe.

I hope it is true. :lol:

The people I've talked to about it say the figures they've seen tally with an 8-pipe design though.

18. Tim

Tim
    Regular

How about a a NV31/NV36 like design where a 2x2 chip can work in a 4x1 mode. (in this case 8x2 chip with a 16x1 mode).

19. digitalwanderer

Legend

What, you got something against Vikings? :| ;)

Thanks MuFu, that fits more with what I've been hearing too. If nVidia had this to pull out of their hat I just got this feeling we would have heard about it before somehow.

I kind of hope it's true too though, I really would prefer to see it be an actual contest of the hardware this time as opposed to seeing how "creative" one IHV can get with their "optimizations". ;)

20. MuFu

Veteran

Hinges on that transistor count figure I reckon - the main line of speculation has been 8x2/16x0 (or whatever you like to call it) but that was with the 160-175mill figure in mind.

210 million transistors is approximately a whole NV36's worth over NV35. :shock: