NV35 Reviews

Personal opinion :

I'm not too enthused by the results. Perhaps it's just my mindset but I was expecting a bigger advantage over the 9700PRO in the games used by Avault (btw : why Avault, a game review site, gets this hardware when other more deserving sites don't is a crime! :) )

I will disregard the 3DMark03 stats for the time being.

Perhaps it's just my mindset but I was expecting a bigger advantage over the 9700PRO in the games used by Avault

Really? I thought some of the results looked like it was too much faster then the R9700Pro(UT2K3 16x12 8x8, ~100% faster, four times the framerate of the 5800U). Waiting for a more in depth review to see if these results are backed up.

As it goes, i felt the whole preview was a little suspect.

- No full 3dMark tests, only limited to "some" tests, none at all without AA.
- Reviewer didn't seem to have any knowledge of the Detonator drivers at all, proclaiming many screens to be completely reworked when in fact they weren't.
- Non-final silicon
- Non-final drivers
- Surely inaccurate bandwidth figures (below the NV30?!)
- No comparisons to the 9800, only the 9700 used in benchmarks
- Vague about driver settings used
- No Detonator 50.x comparisons (perhaps not their fault though).

The numbers were pretty good, but i'll wait for the bigger sites to review the final card.

EDIT: Just noticed THIS - Why make the ATi card do 8x/16x when the nV offerings do 8x/8x? Shouldn't the ATi be 8x/8x to get a fair comparison?

demalion said:
I have a little bit of distrust of a review with so much displayed lack of understanding of the hardware.
This article only goes to show that you can't be too specific when writing reviewer guides, some people can't even get the basics right ... though why nVidia would chose to give that poor chap a board is honestly beyond me. (certainly, his level of knowledge/understanding has to have shown before :?: :rolleyes: :?: )

cu

incurable

PS: I stopped after the pictures of the card (interesting differences between the review samples and the shipping :?: revision, btw), any opinion on the benchmarks - are they worth working through the awkward layout?

I'm hardware illiterate & have to rely on review sites to accurately give me all the info & even I can see this is not the best (p)review.

I didn't think much about the 256Mb 9800 Pro review either btw. :(

PaulS, I think the ATi cards do X6 AA so I'll agree with you that it is unfair to make them do X8. ;)

A snip from the review:
256-bit Memory Bus - The new NV35 core supports a full 256-bit memory bus. This gives this GPU the ability to support up to 256MB of onboard memory as well as increasing the overall speed of the card.
Hmmm..

That review is a bag of bollocks, but does go to prove one thing - if THEY can get a sample to review then surely NV35 is still on course for widespread availability very soon. :)

MuFu.

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/462/page1.html

Le GeForce FX 5900 Ultra permet à NVIDIA de corriger tous les défauts du 5800 Ultra : le bruit, la perte de performances en anti-aliasing, et avoir des performances dignes de se nom en pixel shading 2.0 avec la qualité qui va avec. Dans les jeux actuels, la nouvelle solution NVIDIA est 8 à 16% plus performante que sa concurrente chez ATI en 1600*1200 32 bits avec l´anti-aliasing 4x et anisotropic filtering.

Il est également assez ironique de voir que 3DMark03, longuement décrié à sa sortie par NVIDIA du fait des mauvaises performances initiales de la 5800 Ultra, met également en avant la 5900 Ultra, avec des performances 21% supérieures à celles de ATI sous GameTest 2, qui est assez proche niveau design de Doom III, et 13% sous GameTest 4 qui utilise DirectX 9.0. Bref, la GeForce FX 5900 Ultra est sans conteste la solution graphique la plus performante à ce jour.

MuFu said:
That review is a bag of bollocks, but does go to prove one thing - if THEY can get a sample to review then surely NV35 is still on course for widespread availability very soon. :)

MuFu.

why can't they give their samples to sites who are able to do a decent preview. :devilish:

HardOCP too. EDIT: too late, heh.

Early impression: good to see that nVidia finally figured out how to market the 8 zixel pipelines without outright lying (i.e., as part of the UltraShadow monicker).

Joe DeFuria said:
The good news, is that they compare the 5900 Ultra to the 256 MB 9800. :) The bad news, is that they didn't do any aniso and AA benchmarks...

:?:

ALL their 16x2 benchmarks were with FSAA and AF.

MuFu.

So no jumps in FSAA quality from NV30=>NV35 then. Interesting what [H] picked up about the possibility of post-filtering in the standard 4xAA mode. :oops:

Nice PS improvements and D3 performance. :cool:

MuFu.

The [H] DOOM3 benchmarks certainly shows the NV parts dominating the ATI parts.

Strange how that doesn't translate to other games.

Its also irritating that they ran the 5200 through the same benchmark, but didn't put the scores in the table.

Back