NV33 Rumours, if anyone is interested

Well if we are playing rumours - trump time with information I in no way vouch for - NV40 :)

http://www.quake.co.il/modules/news/article.php?storyid=117

Inside source gave some new details about nVidia's card, that is due to come out in the second half of next year (2004).

Same source was the one to give pre-release details about the current high-end card - NV30, even before Geforce4 was released.
Details were correct, about 90% of the data about NV30.

This information stands for only as a roadmap, and some of it might still change due to market requirements.
Read More For the NV40 Specs.

S2K

Here are the NV40 specs:
300-350 Million Transistors on 90-nm process
750-800 MHz Core
16MB Embedded DRAM (134M trans.)
1.4 GHz 256-512MB DDR-II Memory
8 Pixel Rendering Pipelines (4 texels each)
16 Vertex Shader Engines
204.8 GB/sec Bandwidth (eDRAM)
44.8 GB/sec Bandwidth (DDR-II)
25.6 GigaTexels per Second
3 Billion Vertices per Second
DirectX 10 (or extended 9.1)
Release H2 2004

We will release more data as soon as it comes available to us.

***The data above is not offical, and shouldnt be treated as such.

To compare, here are the NV30 Specs
0.13u process
500 MHz core clock speed
500(1Ghz) MHz 128-256MB DDR-II
125 M transistors
8 pixel pipelines with 2 texturing units each
16 texture layers per rendering pass
3.2 gigapixels per second
6.4 gigatexels per second
360-400 million vertices per second
16 gigabytes/sec
DirectX 9.0+ features (Pixel Shader 2.0+, Vertex Shader 2.0+, etc.)
128 and 64-bit Floating-Point Pixel Processing
Quad Vertex Shader Engine
Improved FSAA (Programmable Grid AA or Adaptive AA)
Improved HSR (Lightspeed Memory Architecture III)
AGP 3.0 (AGP 8x)

Um, I think they got their times a little mixed up. NV40 is supposed to be released late this year, or early next year. I can't see it slipping to H2 next year (unless the 90 nm process won't be ready). 16 mb eDRAM would be sweet though! Don't know how feasible it is, but if they can pull it off..... :D :D :D :D

those NV40 "specs" are oooooold
they "leaked" around the same time the NV30 specs leaked

they didn't even get the NV30 specs right hehe

those NV40 "specs" are oooooold
they "leaked" around the same time the NV30 specs leaked
Thank you Google! Of course, that doesn't mean they're not accurate...

chairmansteve said:
I just put down some random specs. There is no information on NV40. And the only official info about NV30/NV35 is whatever NVIDIA has said in its "CineFX" documents for NV3x series.

:rolleyes:

EDIT: for those who didn't follow the link...the "chairmansteve" in the quote above is also the guy who posted those NV40 "specs". In other words, 2 posts later he admitted they were just made up.

They're obviously way off. If you were going to report NV40 specs you'd make a point of mentioning the programmable tess unit and the unified shading model. I doubt it even has discrete Vertex/Fragment pipes of the kind we see in conventional GPUs.

MuFu.

Sounds like the NV33 matches up with the M10, only about 6 months later...

[Edit: oops, Ante P is right, nevermind]

antlers4 said:
Sounds like the NV33 matches up with the M10, only about 6 months later...

huh??
doesn't seem to have much in common at all IMHO

NV33 seems to be a device for PDAs and smaller hand helds etc.
a 2x1 design won't offer much performance, I don't see how it could even get close to a M9

Does anyone else think that moving to 90nm so fast might not be such a good idea, considering how much trouble TSMC had with the 13u process? Or is there something about TSMC (or maybe UMC's) 90nm process that I don't know about?

MrBond said:
Does anyone else think that moving to 90nm so fast might not be such a good idea, considering how much trouble TSMC had with the 13u process? Or is there something about TSMC (or maybe UMC's) 90nm process that I don't know about?

the TSMC problems wth 0.13 was pretty much blown out of proportion by another company trying to save its face
at least that's what I've been told :)

Nice, nice.
But that's in direct contradiction to a CMKRNL which, a few weeks ago, said the NV33 and NV34 were 4x1.
Strange... One of them gotta be wrong, I guess :)

Uttar

NV33 seems to be a device for PDAs and smaller hand helds etc.

Actually, it seems to be somewhere "between" PDAs and Notebooks? They talk about the so-called "Tablet" PCS, which are basically between PDAs (like the Palm) and notebooks. (I think ATI already has chips in Tablet PCs).

At this time, most (all?) of the limited number of tablet PCs out there are powered by notebook chips. (If you've ever seen "screen rotation" features in video drivers, that's why....users of tablet PCs should be able to look at their screen, and then "flip" or rotated it to show the guy "across the table", by pushing a button. ;)

Something like an NV33 seems MUCH to power hungry and needlessly expensive (feature rich) for PDAs / hand-helds. nVidia looks like they are getting their feet wet in this "potentially growing market" of tablet PCs, by trying to design a chip specifically for it.

Uttar said:
Nice, nice.
But that's in direct contradiction to a CMKRNL which, a few weeks ago, said the NV33 and NV34 were 4x1.

Hmm... did she? I swear she mentioned NV31 and NV34 being 4x1 but nothing with regard to NV33.

MuFu.

MuFu said:
Uttar said:
Nice, nice.

Hmm... did she? I swear she mentioned NV31 and NV34 being 4x1 but nothing with regard to NV33.

MuFu.

CMKRNL is a she???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I always thought he/she was male!!!!!!!

Right, if nVidia hits the ground running with a low power "dx9" chip with the same 2d features as ATIs dx7 tablet display, it could win them some contracts on that alone.

Yes, though keep in mind the release about ATI's DX7 tablet display is about a year and a half old. ;) I'm not sure what ATI is currently marketing for that segment....

Back